Prepering Wild Garden Snails

Jaafar

Hi!
I have a large population of garden snails in my garden and was wondering if I could find a good use for them instead of just killing and throwing them away. My chameleon loves snails but I don't want to feed him wild ones unless I am 100 % sure he won't get sick.

I am therefore wondering if these preparations are enough to make the snails 100% (or 99.9%) safe to feed to my little pet:

1. Purging them for about a week in a container with organic vegtebles and water and cleaning it out every so often. (Could wait longer if it is necessary. Not sure how long it takes for snails to clear out their digestive systems or die if they were exposed to poison. There is no poison used in the area but you can never be sure)

2. Selecting only live snails, washing them and boiling them on high heat for about 20-30 min.

3. Bageging them in bags and freezing them for about a minimum of one week.

Are these 3 steps enough to make the snails safe for my Chameleon and if not, what extra precautions could you apply. Many websites state the first two steps enough to make garden snails safe for human consumption but I wanted to fact check with a legitimate forum. I live in Sweden btw if that helps. :)
Thx!

You shouldnt feed wild snails to your chameleons. You can, however, catch them and breed them, once you see eggs, move the eggs to a new container and throw out the adults. Now (with the eggs) you will have clean snails that can be fed off to your chameleon.

You shouldnt feed wild snails to your chameleons. You can, however, catch them and breed them, once you see eggs, move the eggs to a new container and throw out the adults. Now (with the eggs) you will have clean snails that can be fed off to your chameleon.

Could you please explain why wild snails are unsafe for consumption if they are prepared in the described way. Breeding them would be fun but not that effective in fighting the snail infestation in the garden. As I said I would like to utelize them instead of just throwing them away if I can. Of course it would have to be fully safe for the chameleon. :)

Could you please explain why wild snails are unsafe for consumption if they are prepared in the described way. Breeding them would be fun but not that effective in fighting the snail infestation in the garden. As I said I would like to utelize them instead of just throwing them away if I can. Of course it would have to be fully safe for the chameleon. :)
you eat them.

Or just collect them all in a bucket and throw it in the one annoying neighbor's precious squash.

So, I dont really have info for you on that. I suppose maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in. I do not think your chameleon will eat dead snails. And I dont think you should offer dead snails to your chameleon...but I dont really have any info on why...
Maybe @jamest0o0 or @JoXie411 or @Brodybreaux25 will have better info for you???

Back
Top Bottom