Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

The drinking fountain is in.
Not sure how he feels about it, yet, but he refused to acknowledge it while I was watching him, so I left the room. He's always moving around, so he might have checked it out, but no way to tell.

He'll be getting his big boy enclosure for Christmas, and I'm very excited to work on it and get it ready for him.

In the meantime, he is all tuckered out from all that fountain excitement that may or may not have happened
IMAG4708.jpg IMAG4709.jpg IMAG4712.jpg

The drinking fountain is in.
Not sure how he feels about it, yet, but he refused to acknowledge it while I was watching him, so I left the room. He's always moving around, so he might have checked it out, but no way to tell.

He'll be getting his big boy enclosure for Christmas, and I'm very excited to work on it and get it ready for him.

In the meantime, he is all tuckered out from all that fountain excitement that may or may not have happened
View attachment 195343 View attachment 195344 View attachment 195345
Omg V looks Huge in those pics like he grew tons since last week !. You know what that means ? You have an extra condo to fill :D .

Omg V looks Huge in those pics like he grew tons since last week !. You know what that means ? You have an extra condo to fill :D .

He's such a big boy now. His BSFL just arrived today and I'll introduce him to them tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to set up the new condo and fix the flaws I have with his current one. I even got a new table to prop him up on, and it has storage to hide the mist reservoir and enough room for a drainage bucket than I'm going to try and get set up. I'm going to stain it and add casters most likely

He's such a big boy now. His BSFL just arrived today and I'll introduce him to them tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to set up the new condo and fix the flaws I have with his current one. I even got a new table to prop him up on, and it has storage to hide the mist reservoir and enough room for a drainage bucket than I'm going to try and get set up. I'm going to stain it and add casters most likely
BSFL's are amazing! Hopefully he likes them!

BSFL's are amazing! Hopefully he likes them!

I gave him about 15 in a dish this morning, and I just got home and he had flipped the dish. I thought he ate them all regardless because I couldn't find any, but I found about five escaped and drowned in his drainage.

Here's hoping he ate some, at least. I'll have to secure the dish a lot better next time. He is very very mesmerized by their wiggling but he won't eat in front of me anymore

Just some more Vedool pics, he's too cute, including licking his lips in his sleep
IMAG4730.jpg IMAG4731.jpg IMAG4733.jpg

I installed the casters onto his new cabinet and will be straining and changing the hardware tomorrow.

V is looking awesome!!

So I had the chameleon fountain in all of my enclosures and I really liked them to begin with but they are now removed. They really never had poop or bugs get in them but the tubing from the reservoir to the top where the water goes over the fake plants and the top where the fake plants attached got gross quickly, and I could never really get it clean for my standards;). I have really not noticed any difference with it in or out! Like @Kristen Wilkins said you will definitely know if it is going to work or not, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in!!
Also another great feeder to try is blue bottle flies they come as spikes and as flies even on the worse feeding strikes these get devoured(y)

V is looking awesome!!

So I had the chameleon fountain in all of my enclosures and I really liked them to begin with but they are now removed. They really never had poop or bugs get in them but the tubing from the reservoir to the top where the water goes over the fake plants and the top where the fake plants attached got gross quickly, and I could never really get it clean for my standards;). I have really not noticed any difference with it in or out! Like @Kristen Wilkins said you will definitely know if it is going to work or not, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in!!
Also another great feeder to try is blue bottle flies they come as spikes and as flies even on the worse feeding strikes these get devoured(y)

Thanks for the tips! I haven't had issues with cleaning the fountain yet, but I honestly can't tell if he's even used it. When he gets the new enclosure, I'm going to try one more time with it, but if no interest still, I'll likely be removing it.

He seems to really like the BSFL, but knowing him, it won't be long until he's bored of them, and I've never tried those bottle flies before, so they'll be next on the list!

He sure is getting big. Can't wait to see him after his shed. Looks like some nice emeralds peeking through. Btw, thank you for helping kick start my new addiction lmao.
You're more than welcome, lol.

V really hates being weighed so I've kind of given up on that, though I'd like to try again soon to see where he's at. He's about 13.5" long nose to tip of tail, but I'm unsure if that's lower, at average, or higher than average. He's about 8-9 months old now. Wow time flies.

What are your thoughts regarding substrate? I know a draining method is recommended, and right now it would just pool on the built in floor. Would a "natural" substrate like eco earth covered in large river rocks work?

Here is a substrate anecdote from a newbie:

I'm 3 weeks in with my beautiful baby veiled (from FLChams) and I've already abandoned the eco carpet I bought. It looks pretty on the bottom of the cage and I thought it would make cage cleaning a snap! (Change out the carpet twice a week, etc) but it pretty much just became a perfect hiding place for crickets. It brought no benefit to me and made my hungry boy work too hard for his lunch. Since he spends zero time on the bottom of his cage, substrate seems to be an aesthetic issue for us...not a husbandry issue. So, I ditched it and simply wipe the cage as needed.

Here is a substrate anecdote from a newbie:

I'm 3 weeks in with my beautiful baby veiled (from FLChams) and I've already abandoned the eco carpet I bought. It looks pretty on the bottom of the cage and I thought it would make cage cleaning a snap! (Change out the carpet twice a week, etc) but it pretty much just became a perfect hiding place for crickets. It brought no benefit to me and made my hungry boy work too hard for his lunch. Since he spends zero time on the bottom of his cage, substrate seems to be an aesthetic issue for us...not a husbandry issue. So, I ditched it and simply wipe the cage as needed.
Thank you for your input! This thread is now 83 pages and going, but my little boy will be getting a larger enclosure soon, and I've considered substrate ideas again. He currently has shelf liner on his floor, but I won't be doing that again this round :)

Back
Top Bottom