Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

He's definitely plump, eyes look great. He's adorable. Wish he'd let me take a decent pic. One day, buddy
You will have to work on sneaking up on him . Maybe when he's sleeping . Though that does not work on Frances . I can be across the room with my phone and she in her fighting position all Flared up and pissed off :rolleyes:. She does the same thing with glasses. She absolutely hates glasses .

Got him right after lights out. Sorry little guy, no more handling for the next couple days
IMAG4088.jpg

Stopped home on lunch and caught V (Vedool Ja) under the basking light, gaping. It was really cute, but he closed his mouth and slowly tipped upside down as soon as I walked in. I guess he likes to be really toasty because there are plenty of other places to sit at a lower temp range.. or he loves that spot too much to move.
That spot is about 90 degrees. I'm going to add a long branch across the top and see if he just likes that height or that specific toasty spot.

All his crickets are missing again, even the ones that were free-range except that 1 same cricket who is still hiding in the same spot.
Gave him 4 more and went back to work

I'm so glad things are going well!!!! You deserve a cham you can enjoy the wonders with!! Thinking of both you and V!!

Thanks!
He's becoming less frightful which is great, will still slowly tip upside down if my hand is near him in his basking spot, but doesn't mind me being in the room, talking to him, and checking his enclosure over when giving food refills. He even let me give him a few chin scruffs last night w/o tipping when I went to clean some poop out.

He's doing really well

Thanks!
He's becoming less frightful which is great, will still slowly tip upside down if my hand is near him in his basking spot, but doesn't mind me being in the room, talking to him, and checking his enclosure over when giving food refills. He even let me give him a few chin scruffs last night w/o tipping when I went to clean some poop out.

He's doing really well
This is so nice to hear Yay !!. :love:

This is so nice to hear Yay !!. :love:
There is definitely a big difference over his behavior and the girls, though I have not actively watched him eat or drink yet. Maybe this weekend I'll try hand feeding and observe him when the mist king goes off.
He's way more active though, and always seems to be in a different spot each time I see him, changes his colors often from over-ripe banana to green depending on his position, and seems to have pretty thoroughly explored his enclosure, mainly the left side (the side with the basking light)

The girls were more prone to clinging to the top screen and otherwise sitting still

There is definitely a big difference over his behavior and the girls, though I have not actively watched him eat or drink yet. Maybe this weekend I'll try hand feeding and observe him when the mist king goes off.
He's way more active though, and always seems to be in a different spot each time I see him, changes his colors often from over-ripe banana to green depending on his position, and seems to have pretty thoroughly explored his enclosure, mainly the left side (the side with the basking light)

The girls were more prone to clinging to the top screen and otherwise sitting still
They were very young . He's a little older . They love hanging up side down the baby . I'm so happy he's doing so well .

He's getting braver - hoping to get him accustomed to handling a little more and show it's a reward and not a threat. Outdoor time, pothos in the window, etc
I was just thinking that , wanting to get him out side before cold weather hits . You could start leaving his enclosure open when you are home and close by . Push a plant up against the front so he could start exploring out . Once he's out he may feel ok about getting a ride to a new favorite spot ;). Everything is still new so if it stresses him give him more space as you already know .

Not a bad idea.
I'm thinking about replacing the pothos plants in the pacman enclosure because they're getting crazy big right now. I could add those to the pothos pot in V's enclosure and start draping them down on the ground when closed and out of the enclosure when open and see if he's interested in exploring it.

I'll give the pacman fresh clippings to start new :)

Not a bad idea.
I'm thinking about replacing the pothos plants in the pacman enclosure because they're getting crazy big right now. I could add those to the pothos pot in V's enclosure and start draping them down on the ground when closed and out of the enclosure when open and see if he's interested in exploring it.

I'll give the pacman fresh clippings to start new :)
I love potho's they just go crazy . That's a great idea .

My pothos is my longest living plant so far. I don't have a green thumb.. I can forget to water it for weeks and it still goes crazy.

I saw V's umbrella plant is growing new leaves, too. Is there a way to start an umbrella plant with clippings...?

My pothos is my longest living plant so far. I don't have a green thumb.. I can forget to water it for weeks and it still goes crazy.

I saw V's umbrella plant is growing new leaves, too. Is there a way to start an umbrella plant with clippings...?
Yes you can . Find a nice clipping kinda a longer on . Cut it at an angle , make sure to clean cut . You will need at least a 4 inch pot I like 6 inch deep , your only want the leafs on top . If there any on stem remove them . Dip the clipping in water then a root hormone ( can pick up at any Garden store). Then into soil I just use a pen/ pencil then add the clipping . Moisten your soil, you will need a clear bag I use a zip lock you want to keep it humid . You will need a bright spot that doesn't get direct sun . Add water as needed to keep you don't want dry soil . After a month you can check on the root System . Once you have roots you will not need the bag .

Back
Top Bottom