Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

It's the same scene over on beardie forum.
Someone is coming for help months after getting their dragon as a gift, stuck in a 20g tank with a red bulb, sand, and no UVB and suddenly it's unresponsive. Some of the members there can be very harsh in situations like this, but sometimes the original poster comes back defending their decisions which just really gets a reaction out of veteran keepers.

It's my experience with beardies that has trained me to know how important husbandry is. I'll admit my first dragon had a lot of mistakes, but I was always willing to reach out and learn what I can do to change things.
Right now I feel super guilty that Richter, who is just under 20", is in a measly 36x18x18. At least he gets LOTS of out of enclosure time when I'm home. I just leave one of the doors open and he comes and goes as he pleases once I'm home from work. They also have outdoor tents to get plenty natural sunlight, the best possible UVB bulbs, etc.

I really wanted to make sure I did all my homework before bringing a chameleon home, and this topic, the first post especially, is proof of it. You can't just bring home a hamster and stick it in a bucket. You can't just buy a lizard and stick it in a fishtank. If someone wants an effortless pet, get a cat. Though I admit pacman frogs are really easy...
As I have told you we are just days over a year keeping chameleons . Frances our veiled (first) . She is a challenge because we can't get an answer on why she continues to get URI . I suspect it's genetics . We have had many test done and redone to always have same answer . Which would be no answer . She also always looks amazing she hides illness well . Like most chameleon. We have to be diligent in signs of her being in trouble , and act fast . This forum was a god sent , Supportive and I have made friends and met @Matt Vanilla Gorilla here . Whom was Septiceye Guardian angel for many many months :love: .

We will always keep veiled there's such a need for good homes . Even if it's a short time their with us .

My vet just sent me this email:
"I am so sorry to hear about Mamool Ja. She was a cute little girl - you did well by her, but these little reptiles sometimes defy our efforts to fix them. You are one client that did the best for her, but again, it may not have been meant to be. Frustrating! Don't get discouraged.
Dr. Chris"

Very nice of her, getting choked up again

My vet just sent me this email:
"I am so sorry to hear about Mamool Ja. She was a cute little girl - you did well by her, but these little reptiles sometimes defy our efforts to fix them. You are one client that did the best for her, but again, it may not have been meant to be. Frustrating! Don't get discouraged.
Dr. Chris"

Very nice of her, getting choked up again
Even your vet is telling you your a wonderful keeper . Have you heard from FLChams ?

I haven't, getting a little miffed by it, but the mist king hasn't arrived yet (should be tomorrow) and then after that I'll likely be more impatient about wanting to hear back

I haven't, getting a little miffed by it, but the mist king hasn't arrived yet (should be tomorrow) and then after that I'll likely be more impatient about wanting to hear back
I had just read someone saying there better about picking up the phone then emails . That has to be maddening . I'm so lucky actually quite quite spoiled with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla . He gets back to me like 2 sec flat lol . He must think I'm a pain in the A******** . I don't just text him about Septiceye but Frances too . He tries to remind me he's not a veiled keeper but you know what he knows about every breed .

Hello again @Traildrifterphalanx I was so sad to hear about your girl! Like most people I have been following this thread from the beginning keeping you and your girls in my thoughts, and I have to tell you that I cried for the both of you when she passed! My heart is relieved to hear that you are not giving up!

Earlier you mentioned a dragon forum and I was wondering if you could post a link to it. Like my chams I want to make sure I'm doing my best for my dragon.

I think you will really like your mistking!! I know I do! The mist is so fine it "sticks" to the screening instead of going through. There is still a little bit that comes out but it dries very quickly and doesn't soak anything!

My heart is with you, and I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby!!

Hello again @Traildrifterphalanx I was so sad to hear about your girl! Like most people I have been following this thread from the beginning keeping you and your girls in my thoughts, and I have to tell you that I cried for the both of you when she passed! My heart is relieved to hear that you are not giving up!

Earlier you mentioned a dragon forum and I was wondering if you could post a link to it. Like my chams I want to make sure I'm doing my best for my dragon.

I think you will really like your mistking!! I know I do! The mist is so fine it "sticks" to the screening instead of going through. There is still a little bit that comes out but it dries very quickly and doesn't soak anything!

My heart is with you, and I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby!!
Katacara it's beardeddragon.org . ;)

@Katacara thank you very much for your kindness. I still cannot think about those poor little babies without tears in my eyes. It hurts to try so hard and feel like I failed them, but I think if anything good came of this, it's to try even harder on the next.
The mistking is arriving today and finally I won't have company over, so I will work on getting this all set up and likely run to a few stores to look for some nice, live plants as well as finally work on my draining system.

The forum is indeed beardeddragon.org, and I go by the same username there :)
Speaking of beardies, here's my two being doofuses if anyone cares to gander. I know it's not chameleon related

@Katacara thank you very much for your kindness. I still cannot think about those poor little babies without tears in my eyes. It hurts to try so hard and feel like I failed them, but I think if anything good came of this, it's to try even harder on the next.
The mistking is arriving today and finally I won't have company over, so I will work on getting this all set up and likely run to a few stores to look for some nice, live plants as well as finally work on my draining system.

The forum is indeed beardeddragon.org, and I go by the same username there :)
Speaking of beardies, here's my two being doofuses if anyone cares to gander. I know it's not chameleon related

Omg I loved the waving !!. Adorable!!.

They were doing role reversal.
Richter, the big one in the window, is the male and is the dominant/territorial one, but I entered the room and he was waving to my little girl, Alucard, and she was black bearding and head bobbing at him... Tried to get it recorded but she kind of stopped, and then he must have realized it was her and went back to being a brute :LOL: they're so full of personality.
I love re-watching it and seeing him start to freak out when he realizes it's her in the reflection of the glass, then suddenly he's on the floor and doing his creepy scuttling

That was so cute thanks for sharing!! I indeed just registered on the dragon forum with the same user name. I haven't had a chance to look at it much yet but will later today when I am finished with the project I'm working on. I am rearranging my room so I can build a reptile palace! It will take a while but I will post pictures and costs when I'm done.

That was so cute thanks for sharing!! I indeed just registered on the dragon forum with the same user name. I haven't had a chance to look at it much yet but will later today when I am finished with the project I'm working on. I am rearranging my room so I can build a reptile palace! It will take a while but I will post pictures and costs when I'm done.
It's a useful site but there can be a bit of drama .

Well.
Went home on lunch expecting to bring my MistKing inside but it's not there! Forgot it's coming UPS and not USPS, so I was greeted with crickets and superworms, but no mistking. Hoping it'll be there by the time I'm home. Last time I had something delivered UPS it didn't deliver until 8:30pm :cautious:

Well.
Went home on lunch expecting to bring my MistKing inside but it's not there! Forgot it's coming UPS and not USPS, so I was greeted with crickets and superworms, but no mistking. Hoping it'll be there by the time I'm home. Last time I had something delivered UPS it didn't deliver until 8:30pm :cautious:
Wow they deliver late there . If ups is not delivered by 2:30 here it's not coming .

Yeah, they often will put that it will deliver by the end of the day at 8pm, but I had ordered the collector's edition of a game I really wanted, and spent all day watching out the window. They arrived after I gave up.

Good news, though, is status now says delivered, so apparently this won't be a repeat of last time

Yeah, they often will put that it will deliver by the end of the day at 8pm, but I had ordered the collector's edition of a game I really wanted, and spent all day watching out the window. They arrived after I gave up.

Good news, though, is status now says delivered, so apparently this won't be a repeat of last time
Woohoo !!.

Back
Top Bottom