Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

If you are definitely going with a veiled I would take no chances with fake . Not so much as babies bit older they love to munch on plants . You would hate to be dealing with impaction issues .
Plus you had said you would be away the 3rd and 4th . Probably be fine with Automatic Mister over night but why worry .

If things go according to plan I should have a new cham on August 4th.
Perhaps since its later in the year now, stores will have more of an indoor selection opposed to outdoor stuff

I'd say happy early birthday but I'm sure I'll be on the forum someday at that point, if not the day immediately after to share hopefully very healthy chameleon pics

The hibiscus is like picture perfect right now, too, minus any blooming.
All the leaves are a perfect waxy looking dark green and it's branching out. Very very surprised considering how picky I've heard they are, and it just barely fit in the pot I repotted it in... so it's kind of jammed in there.
Guess we'll see how it does in a new room. Still a north facing window but about half the size

The hibiscus is like picture perfect right now, too, minus any blooming.
All the leaves are a perfect waxy looking dark green and it's branching out. Very very surprised considering how picky I've heard they are, and it just barely fit in the pot I repotted it in... so it's kind of jammed in there.
Guess we'll see how it does in a new room. Still a north facing window but about half the size
You can look into grow bulbs if you have not yet . Jungle down is highly recommend .

I did before getting ja ja but the plants seemed to be doing well so I decided it wasn't worth it. If they start having issues I'll definitely look into it

My heart sank when I read about Mamool. I know you worked hard to care properly for her. I think Kristen and Andee are right that you started out with sick chams. By the way, I called FLchams to inquire about their veiled chams myself and got an answer on the second ring. From what I have read on here, calling him is the way to go. Good luck with your next cham. I'm sure purchasing a well started cham will be a great experience for you.

Thank you, Scott.
Finding her this morning was honestly shocking. I had no reaction but to take her out and just look at her. It took until I got to work for the reality to set in. She was so sweet.

I'm supposed to be asleep, but I've got a lot on my mind.
I may try calling them if I don't get a response by email tomorrow. I take it the conversation you had went relatively well.

And that's a good point about winter. I definitely don't have a green thumb. Anything not a pothos seems to die

Um. I'm hanging in there.
Someone at work that is friends with me on FB, where I of course shared the news, asked me what happened and I couldn't reply in fear of crying. She understood and told me to go away, lol.

My mom and sister are planning to visit today, unrelated to the event that occurred, but I'm sure they will ask about it which will be a bit painful.

The mistking shipped today. Should be here by the end of the week I imagine. I have a tracking number but it was just issued so it has no results. Got it from Big Al's Pets because they had free shipping and a $10 off coupon.

I'm getting out of work 30min early and I'd like to run to a home renovation store to start getting ideas for the drainage, but I'm unsure when family are planning to arrive.

Um. I'm hanging in there.
Someone at work that is friends with me on FB, where I of course shared the news, asked me what happened and I couldn't reply in fear of crying. She understood and told me to go away, lol.

My mom and sister are planning to visit today, unrelated to the event that occurred, but I'm sure they will ask about it which will be a bit painful.

The mistking shipped today. Should be here by the end of the week I imagine. I have a tracking number but it was just issued so it has no results. Got it from Big Al's Pets because they had free shipping and a $10 off coupon.

I'm getting out of work 30min early and I'd like to run to a home renovation store to start getting ideas for the drainage, but I'm unsure when family are planning to arrive.
Sounds like you have a nice family and you are close with them , That's good . I wasn't going to bother you today but I was thinking of you and the girls . I also saw that you reached out to another member whom had a similar experience . That's wonderful you did . Lots of people just don't get keeping lizards at all !!. How we really love them . They definitely don't understand how much a loss can hurt and for a long time . Any how post some pics when you get drainage set up . It's always good for other new member that are starting out to get ideas .

No problem at all, I'd also like opinions or critiques regarding the drainage once it's set up, to say perhaps I just didn't consider a certain outcome of said system, etc etc. Like hey this is totally not going to work due to this, etc.

I think that was the first I reached out to someone else on the board, but after reading the headline, it piqued my curiosity to see what their situation was, where their chameleon was from, and if he was surviving. I think some of the newer keepers, like myself, NEED to hear that it's not them, it's the poor condition of the animal itself to not deter them from trying again. Loss is incredibly hard as it is, guilt doesn't need to play a role as well.

I miss those two little girls so much. I will forever hold onto photos of them on my phone, my desktop wallpaper, on facebook, etc.

No problem at all, I'd also like opinions or critiques regarding the drainage once it's set up, to say perhaps I just didn't consider a certain outcome of said system, etc etc. Like hey this is totally not going to work due to this, etc.

I think that was the first I reached out to someone else on the board, but after reading the headline, it piqued my curiosity to see what their situation was, where their chameleon was from, and if he was surviving. I think some of the newer keepers, like myself, NEED to hear that it's not them, it's the poor condition of the animal itself to not deter them from trying again. Loss is incredibly hard as it is, guilt doesn't need to play a role as well.

I miss those two little girls so much. I will forever hold onto photos of them on my phone, my desktop wallpaper, on facebook, etc.
Agreed if you read though the threads you will quickly find often it's the keeper . They bought on a whim 0 research chain store set them up completely wrong , parents bought for a gift no research doesn't want to invest in vet bills , doesn't want feeders in the house , lights at night , not enough misting , etc. etc. this is all covered in the care sheet !!. They Don't care about the animal !!. In those cases members can be really rough and one can understand why . Member like you and catlea are whom have gone above and beyound , take advice and make changes , Have a great vet !!. Its heartbreaking when they still pass . Even the best experienced keepers would have their hands full . Such a horrible experience for a new keeper . Theirs a few fantastic new members that have joined recently . It's so refreshing to have new keepers that's are wonderful keepers .

I'm not down playing what happened it's awful I'm just happy you are not giving up . Once you get a healthy chameleon it's such an amazing experience looking after these little precious gems .

It's the same scene over on beardie forum.
Someone is coming for help months after getting their dragon as a gift, stuck in a 20g tank with a red bulb, sand, and no UVB and suddenly it's unresponsive. Some of the members there can be very harsh in situations like this, but sometimes the original poster comes back defending their decisions which just really gets a reaction out of veteran keepers.

It's my experience with beardies that has trained me to know how important husbandry is. I'll admit my first dragon had a lot of mistakes, but I was always willing to reach out and learn what I can do to change things.
Right now I feel super guilty that Richter, who is just under 20", is in a measly 36x18x18. At least he gets LOTS of out of enclosure time when I'm home. I just leave one of the doors open and he comes and goes as he pleases once I'm home from work. They also have outdoor tents to get plenty natural sunlight, the best possible UVB bulbs, etc.

I really wanted to make sure I did all my homework before bringing a chameleon home, and this topic, the first post especially, is proof of it. You can't just bring home a hamster and stick it in a bucket. You can't just buy a lizard and stick it in a fishtank. If someone wants an effortless pet, get a cat. Though I admit pacman frogs are really easy...

Back
Top Bottom