power bars

lainezor

Hey guys I have a pair of http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/specialty-equipment/247-digital-timer-power-center.htm and I was wondering if I could plug two into one outlet receptical. I know you cannot daisy chain them I am just wondering if is going to be too large a load or start a fire. The thing is these power bars only have 2 daylight timers and the blue ones go on when the yellow are off and I need 4 yellows to support the basking light domes and uvb linear lamps for 2 chameleons. I want to plug in 2 lights for 1 cham into one of the power bars and 2 lights for the other cham into the other bar. The other bar would also have 4 undertank heating pads for my tarantulas and a leopard gecko. I see LLL reptile has a product that is exactly what I need but if its not going to be a problem using the two digital power bars I wont invest in it. Here is the zoo med one http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ers/-/zoo-med-repticare-terrarium-controller/

What do you think? Is it safe to split the 8 outlets into two power bars? Thanks

you won't know until you actually try. it depends on the load of the breaker and if you have other circuits connected to the same breaker. i would just try it and see if it pops the breaker then you know the load is too much.

I usually add up the amps of everything plugged into the circuit (it should be printed or stamped somewhere on the devices right next to the UL label). A typical US household circuit is 15 amps. If you start getting up to around 80% of that, you run the risk of overloading the circuit. Remember that overhead lights and more than one outlet often share a circuit.

Unless you are running industrial sized lights or tons of equipment, you will probably be fine.

I usually add up the amps of everything plugged into the circuit (it should be printed or stamped somewhere on the devices right next to the UL label). A typical US household circuit is 15 amps. If you start getting up to around 80% of that, you run the risk of overloading the circuit. Remember that overhead lights and more than one outlet often share a circuit.

Unless you are running industrial sized lights or tons of equipment, you will probably be fine.

I didn't quite understand the entire thing going on, but the 80% rule is what I would go by also. 80% of a typical 15 amp circuit is actually more than you'd think. Just keep an eye of everything. You'll notice cords and such getting warm or hot before a fire starts. Hopefully, if your house is up to code, you'll pop a breaker before anything really bad happens. :mad:

I live in an apartment building and have control of my own breakers. for the sake of me being paranoid I will keep my chams on opposite sides of the room to be sure

Back
Top Bottom