Possible MBD Rehabilitation Setup

Alright, so, I have the misfortune for working for PetSmart and we have a chameleon that definitely has developed MBD. My manager has agreed to "adopt him out" which means I would be able to take him home, and they would have to write him off - aka a loss in sales.

So, if I do take him I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to setup a terrarium for a chameleon with MBD. His grip is very weak, he has very obvious trouble holding on, and is at serious risk of falling. So I guess my question is what sort of size cage would be good for him in case he falls? I should also mention he is still pretty tiny, probably about 3 - 4 inches. When we got him in, probably about 2 months ago, he was about half the size of my finger, so I'm pretty sure he's only a few months old.

Also, in case you were wondering, I'm not thinking about going into this blind. I've been reading a lot about MBD chameleon cases and the best course of care, and would be planning on taking him to a vet if I do get him. It also might be worth to mention that I don't believe it has developed into an extremely severe condition quite yet. His back ankles are the worst visibly, they're swollen and appear slightly misshapen. But he walks clearly abnormally, and as I mentioned above, has very little grip.

For one that small I would place it in a plastic shoebox without the lid. It should be big enough to where the animal can not reach the top and climb out. I would then use a few rolled up cloth towels for it to climb around on in the bottom.

After that the rest is standard, temp and UVB lighting needs to be provided.

If the animal eats on it's own, use Repashy Supercal med. That's calcium with medium D3. Dust all food items daily. Give it a multivitamin once a week until it walks normally.

There are others here who may have their own methods, there is more than one way to help the critter.

Thank you for the reply! I've been looking around and was thinking maybe a 10 gallon fish tank? It would be probably be similar in size to plastic shoebox, right? Just wondering if that would work, just since I already have one on hand.

I've been trying to think of what to do for UVB, most of the linear lights seem like it would be too big. Hm, probably would have to hang it. Also, thank you for the tip on which calcium to use. ^^

Sunlight!
Any suggestions for natural sunlight in winter...is there much gained from placing enclosure in front of a window. I know it filters a lot out. I’ve been putting his enclosure out on the deck for an hour every Saturday and Sunday morning in a partial shade, but not an option in a NC winter at 35-40 degrees...while it’s summ here...we’re too hot in Summer and too cold in winter most of the day ...lol

Nope, only thing you can do during winter is hope for the odd warm day. Windows filter uvb unless you open them, and then you have cold air blowing in.

Back
Top Bottom