POPEYE the White Headed Veiled....WHY???

Scotty

Howdy all,

I guess i'll start from the beginning again. I have an 8 month old male veiled, his name is popeye.
He started to get a white head at around 3 month old, I have asked the question on this site, as to why after his shed he still has a white head and everyone here me included, thought that he would have a few head sheds and should colour up like the rest of his body, this apparently happens to some veileds and is not uncommen.
Well 5 months down the track, his head is still white and looks to be getting whiter with a few black lines running through it. He shed literally last week a full body shed including the head, which was one of the biggest i've seen on him. He had the full on skin hanging from his eyes his casque, looked messy and annoying for him, the poor bugger.
Now he looks very handsome again, ALTHOUGH his head is still white...:confused:
"What the Flip", I thought for sure after this massive shed, he would reveal a beautifully coloured casque matching his body.
What's going on guys? Is it some weired morph, is it a pigmentation problem only on his head?
Please look at my pics in the gallery, you can get the idea, his head now is more whiter than those pics.
I will post some recent pics tomorrow as my home computer is in being repaired...i'm on my work computer, naughty me...and can't download personal pics at work.
Anyways, give me some of your learned opinions guys, I am confused. At first I wanted him to colour up (his head) but now i'm thinking he is different and i'm starting to like it!
Popeye the white headed veiled...has a ring to it..lol
Looking forward to hearing from the experts..
Cheers
Scott.

His head will gain color when he is about 1 year. Mine was the same way. Around 10-12 months his casque colored up to match some of his body colors.

I posted in the other forum. I think that's just his color. Seems perfectly normal to me. I've seen many with very light colored heads. It may or may not change.

Also - you never really want their casques to "fatten up". If anything, you want it to slim down with growth. the only time my animals have bulges on th esides of their csques is when they're young and growing. After maturing, their casques are all slightly concave to flat on the sides. If it's bulging, the chameleon is likely overweight.

Note: this applies to veileds. Other species are usually better off with a slight bulge, but they're (casques are) built very differetnly.

I guess i'll sit back and see what happens...
Thanks for the replies guys....
It just seems funny how he is getting whiter after his sheds.
I guess just another quirky attribute of the chameleon hey!
Cheers
Scott.

Scotty, here's a pic of my male. As you see, he's got a lot of very light color, nearly white, on his casque. it's not as much as your veiled, but it's significant. When he was younger, his head was all green. This is more or less a typical color pattern on male veileds. And just like all of them, they vary considerable. Someone on the board had one with an inordinate amount of orange. Some are very blue. Others have a very dark background, and turn nearly all black when displaying.

his whaite head is fairly unusual - especially if it's more pronounced now - but it's not something I'd call abhorrent, and certainly not a problem or defect!

http://www.zorabellarose.com/Chameleonpics/Bigveild.JPG

Hey Eric thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
Man, your boy is a stunner, I hope my guy turns out like him...
I'll keep you all posted in a couple of months.
Cheers
Scott.

I think he is so cute. If he were mine I would want it to stay white...he is very unique.

Does anyone know if it could be anything to do with gene's, could he possibly be part translucent?

I think he is so cute. If he were mine I would want it to stay white...he is very unique.

Does anyone know if it could be anything to do with gene's, could he possibly be part translucent?

Me too Ashley!
I do want him to stay white as I mentioned earlier.
And I also want to know if he part translucent! lol
So Ash, I guess we agree and want the same..LOL Now we just wait and see who answers.
Cheers
Scott

Back
Top Bottom