poorly med chameleon

Denice

I have owned a rescued Mediterranean Chameleon for nearly three years we had him when he was about 18 months old.We have not changed anything food, living envi.The last 6 days his has stopped eating and is only taking water from a pippet. One of his front legs is very pale and he is very weak. I have taken him to the vets today but he is said he could give him some antibiotics but did not know if it was the right thing as he was not qualified in this field, so I came away none the wiser. He has not urinated for about five days.He is currently nettled under my cardigan. He is shutting his eyes alot and is very wobbly on his feet. I think we have done well to have had him this long but do not like to see him suffer. By the way we do live in Spain.

I have owned a rescued Mediterranean Chameleon for nearly three years we had him when he was about 18 months old.We have not changed anything food, living envi.The last 6 days his has stopped eating and is only taking water from a pippet. One of his front legs is very pale and he is very weak. I have taken him to the vets today but he is said he could give him some antibiotics but did not know if it was the right thing as he was not qualified in this field, so I came away none the wiser. He has not urinated for about five days.He is currently nettled under my cardigan. He is shutting his eyes alot and is very wobbly on his feet. I think we have done well to have had him this long but do not like to see him suffer. By the way we do live in Spain.

Hi there. Welcome to forum. I am not sure what type of chameleon you have but I'm sure someone will be able to help. In the meantime could you fill in the how to ask for help form which will give us some ideas as to how he is being kept.:)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

about my cham.

Your Chameleon - Mediterraneon Chameleon, male about 5 years old
Handling - every day
Feeding - crickets and small wax worms. Feed as and when needed. Feed crickets and worms on ground wheat in the winter and fruit and veg in summer. Dried fish food sometimes.
Supplements - reptimineral h. vitamins and minerals.
Watering - Spray the cage once a day. In summer he is outside and spray 3 or 4 times a day. He drinks from a sray bottle upturned.
Fecal Description - Was normal about 5/6 days ago.
History - was wild when we rescued him looking in a sorry state when he was about 18months old.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - combo , glass front and back but mesh sides/ top 36 inches high and 2 ft wide . In summer he is in a bird cage outside in the day.
Lighting - 15 watt terra uv and when it gets cooler here and a infra red for cooler days and nights, model, because he is not in his terraruim in summer days difficult to access but in winter his lighting is on for roughly 8 hours
Temperature - temps for him can range from25c to 41c as he lives outside in the summer
Humidity - the humidity is dead on as he would normally live out side all year round here
Plants - non in his indoor cage but umbrella plants in his outdoor one
Placement - in winter his cage is off the floor summer he is outside till darknesss falls
Location - Spain
Sorry it is so vague about temps and humidity but because of our climate and the length of time I have had him it is difficult. They are native here so I have never had a prob with temps and humidity. Any advise would be great I am keeping him warm at the moment and halved his cage just to make him more comfy.

Current Problem - sleeping alot not eating. eyes shut more than open. Very weak. Giving him water with a pippet. Moving very little no strength in his legs and not much grip. Think it may just be old age as they are not common in captivity difficult to know if they should live longer than what we have aged him at.

I will put some pics on tomorrow as he is asleep in his cage donot want to over stress him. Cannot get a good pic of him it will be better taken in the daylight.

I think something is really bad as he has blood coming from his mouth. His body colour has gone very pale.

RIP Eric. We did give you a good life. Cannot beleive we had you so long.I have enjoyed caring for him and I will miss him xx

Thank you Kate. I did not expect to last a month when we found him so he had a fab life. It was so sad to see him die I am in tears writing this. Never onwned a reptile in my life but I have enjoyed every minute of having him and learning about the species, just a pity I could not get a mate for him. I am going in the morning to bury him in the dunes on the beach where we found him.
Just got to think what to do with all the baby cricks I have bred for him, the neighbours would not be pleased if I let them go in the garden :)

Sorry for your lost. On the crickets. see if there are any places the rescue reptiles or maybe a zoo that would love the donation.

Sorry to hear about the loss of Eric, it sounds like you gave him a great 3 years, he was a lucky guy. We are all temporary residents of this planet and it is the relationships we have that define the quality of our stay. I would say Eric couldn't have asked for more. My condolences.

Back
Top Bottom