Poop?

Vinesar21

Avid Member
Hello, im trying to find the best thread there is about feces and im still confused if this is ok or not?! Has undigested wax worms and mealworms in it, is it normal? last night i fed him couple small mealworms and wax worms(i know im not really supposed to, i only do it couple times a week), i was trying to take a cool slow motion video. This was the surprise this morning. Usually the rest of his feces look normal this and the day after i received him were the only time i seen undigested insects.
I haven't done a fecal test yet, the vet required me to bring the chameleon in too when i called because they can't do a test without seeing the chameleon 1st. i didn't want to stress him more as this was the week after i got him. But i do want to get a test asap.

Attachments

• IMG-20201023-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20201023-WA0029.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 93
Hello, im trying to find the best thread there is about feces and im still confused if this is ok or not?! Has undigested wax worms and mealworms in it, is it normal? last night i fed him couple small mealworms and wax worms(i know im not really supposed to, i only do it couple times a week), i was trying to take a cool slow motion video. This was the surprise this morning. Usually the rest of his feces look normal this and the day after i received him were the only time i seen undigested insects.
I haven't done a fecal test yet, the vet required me to bring the chameleon in too when i called because they can't do a test without seeing the chameleon 1st. i didn't want to stress him more as this was the week after i got him. But i do want to get a test asap.
What else are you feeding? By chance are you feeding BSFL?

Yes, last night too actually
That is what I thought. So bsfl if they do not chew them tend to not digest. That is what your seeing in that pic an undigested bsfl. You can take a sewing needle and poke through the bsfl right before feeding them. It will not kill it but it will allow for it to be digested. It is common and does happen where a bsfl will come out just as alive as it was when it went in. lol So pinning them really helps keep this from happening as well.

just to note... I would avoid mealworms as they are very low in nutritional value. Wax worms are great if your only feeding 1 or 2 a day as a treat when working on handfeeding. But I would stop using them once they hit about 6-8 months old due to the high fat content.

That is what I thought. So bsfl if they do not chew them tend to not digest. That is what your seeing in that pic an undigested bsfl. You can take a sewing needle and poke through the bsfl right before feeding them. It will not kill it but it will allow for it to be digested. It is common and does happen where a bsfl will come out just as alive as it was when it went in. lol So pinning them really helps keep this from happening as well.

Thank you for this! This really is helpful info!??

just to note... I would avoid mealworms as they are very low in nutritional value. Wax worms are great if your only feeding 1 or 2 a day as a treat when working on handfeeding. But I would stop using them once they hit about 6-8 months old due to the high fat content.

Can you also help me with this? Is this is ok? To me it seems that the skin between front feet has a more pronounced bulge than usual. Maybe im just seeing double. Idk, in some angles it looks like its sticking out more.

Attachments

• IMG-20201023-WA0035.jpeg
    IMG-20201023-WA0035.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 16034918832309199128701798061323.jpg
    16034918832309199128701798061323.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 86
Can you also help me with this? Is this is ok? To me it seems that the skin between front feet has a more pronounced bulge than usual. Maybe im just seeing double. Idk, in some angles it looks like its sticking out more.
Are you talking about the gular area? like below his throat?

Are you talking about the gular area? like below his throat?
Yes but its more between the feet and it was like a bulge. not the gular tho. The second photo looks normal. Maybe im just tweaking hahaha . Idk why it seemed like it's more puffed than before between the feet.

Yes but its more between the feet and it was like a bulge. not the gular tho. The second photo looks normal. Maybe im just tweaking hahaha . Idk why it seemed like it's more puffed than before between the feet.
Ok so are you talking about the actual foot? lol sorry trying to see what your seeing. If it helps I see nothing abnormal. Looks like a healthy growing baby.

I’m no expert but you said you fed them at night? What time did you feed and what is your light schedule?
@Beman could it be that the little one isn’t getting time to digest before bed and temp drop?

I haven't done a fecal test yet, the vet required me to bring the chameleon in too when i called because they can't do a test without seeing the chameleon 1st.
That may not be entirely accurate. A general health check (exam) isn't a bad idea, but I and many others here have gotten fecals done without. It may just be a policy of that practice.

While I would want a herp veterinarian for medical issues, any vet office should be able to do a fecal exam, so I would call around; you may at least find out if it's just policy or law where you are.

That may not be entirely accurate. A general health check (exam) isn't a bad idea, but I and many others here have gotten fecals done without. It may just be a policy of that practice.

While I would want a herp veterinarian for medical issues, any vet office should be able to do a fecal exam, so I would call around; you may at least find out if it's just policy or law where you are.
Will do, thanks!

I’m no expert but you said you fed them at night? What time did you feed and what is your light schedule?
@Beman could it be that the little one isn’t getting time to digest before bed and temp drop?
IME this just can happen with bsfl that have not been pinned. They are so small that the cham tends to just swallow them without chewing. No puncture and they do not always digest. This leaves you with an undigested bsfl in the fecal and even one that comes out crawling away.

Back
Top Bottom