Poop stuck on Cham's butt!

caitlyn that does not look like a sperm plug to me. It looks like an impending prolapse. I think you would be well advised to make a vet appointment. In the meantime, keep that moist. KY jelly (which you might have to find in the feminine hygiene department) is good for that.

The fact that you heard fart sounds makes me even more positive that it's an impending prolapse. I think what you heard was the tissue moving. Chameleons are not noted for their fart sounds.

How do you people know?! hmmm? Because for one it was never pink! and are any of you people even vets? Huh? No I didn't think so! >:0

Serenity, the original post is from a while ago, but Caitlyn just recently added on to the post with the same issue.

Caitlyn, you came on here and asked us a question about what it is, knowing we are not vets. People responded to you with their thoughts and opinions and you get mad at them? To me, it does look like a prolapse that's about to start. One of my 5 chameleons had a prolapse and she ended up dying. We did all we could, but hers was more severe. So while I am NOT a vet, I have dealt with the situation. I would ask for some help from a friend or family member, get some money together and go see a vet. I'd call up a vet and even ask them if they will allow you to pay off the bill over time.

And so you understand what I went through with a prolapse, here's the thread.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/before-i-go-vet-complete-panic-53943/

I also think it looks like a prolapse in the making. I've delt with prolapses in a few different species of animals and chameleons are included. The fact that it is black may (or may not) mean that any tissue showing is dying and/or diseased. It's hard to say with a blurry picture, but regardless, a vet check up would be wise. Even if it is not a prolapse, the vet can help you with whatever it is.

The farting sound is not good in my experience. It's not good at all.

Prolapses can turn darker especially if they are drying up. I would take to a Veterinarian.

Note: I do work at a Veterinary Hospital that sees exotics.

Oh and by the Way I'm not mad I'm irate with the world. :/ nothing ever goes right. No matter how hard I try, I'm done... I will never have another pet again, it just too much heart break, why even love something if its just going to be torn away from you just as soon as its started. I'm sorry if I seemed rude, its just been the worst week off my life:(

Oh and by the Way I'm not mad I'm irate with the world. :/ nothing ever goes right. No matter how hard I try, I'm done... I will never have another pet again, it just too much heart break, why even love something if its just going to be torn away from you just as soon as its started. I'm sorry if I seemed rude, its just been the worst week off my life:(

So does this mean you lost your chameleon??

If it's a hemipenal prolapse the animal should be fine. They can always amputate if they need to. Hemipenal prolapses seem more common than the other in males.

Caitlyn, did you READ the entire post that I had linked you to? I had a dog who we thought was on his death bed, followed by my chameleon prolapsing twice, then dying.

The truth is, yes, it does hurt terribly when we lose pets. I've lost many. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't give them good homes when they need them. That's like saying you're going to shut yourself away from the entire world, never talk to your family again or anyone you love again because of what MAY happen in the future. The important thing to do is live each day as it comes and not dwell on the "what could happen in the future". That's a miserable way to live!!! Just find a way to bring your chameleon to a vet and see what they can do for you. The sooner you go, the better it's chances of being alright are!

You seem a bit young to have "been through it all" lol. I don't have any idea how old you are, but given the way you reacted, you just seem young. Please don't take that the wrong way. I'm just trying to say that there will be MANY MANY MANY ups and downs in your life. You can't just give up and call it quits because you have a bad week.

Caitlyn, how is your lizard today? It might help some to give him a kneehigh soak in luke warm water for half hour. Whatever it is should soften up if its still there.
However you should know if it is a prolapse, the tissue outside his vent may now be dead and need to be removed.
If its a hemepene prolapse (one of his 'tools') it can safely be amputated without harm to him, but if its a colonic/intestinal prolapse then the prognosis is not good.
If its a male over say, 6 months old, there is a possibility its only sperm plugs, which is a normal and generally harmless thing, here again, a soaking may assist. :)

His better today! He acts better then his usual self. I think is going to be fine, and I have been soaking him every day. He has more of an appetite I think it could be sperm plugs.

Thats great news, can you post a clearer pic please if possible, the other was bit blurry
and difficult to make out. If you use a phone cam, maybe try holding it a little further away and shining a light on his butt at the same time (no flash) :)
If it is just plugs he should eventually wipe them off on a branch etc (yuck).
Has he pooped since you noticed it?

Back
Top Bottom