Please read - my recent vet vist

GabeCastro

Established Member
I'd just like to share my expierence with my first chameleon...

Jasper looks 100% healthy, but my recent vet trip tells me otherwise.

His exam went really well and i was told i was doing an excellent job on his enclosure. Also Jasper looks really healthy. No URI, Mouth rot, skin fungus, etc.

I took Jasper to the vet because he started to lose his appetite, and his fecal was a bit on the smelly side. (smelled like a swamp). I figured he went on a hunger strike because i fed him waxworms. Also he's starting to shed and he hasn't ate anything in a few days. This is normal when he's shedding.

So this past Sunday i grabbed a fresh fecal sample, zip lock bagged it, then put it in the refrigerator. I called all my local herp vets, got quotes on an exam / fecal test and i finally found my vet. Ended up paying $225 for the whole thing but it was worth it.

Monday i was given eye drops($40) because his eyes looked a little irritated, helps him clean them better. Store i bought him from used substrate in his enclosure. he's been rubbing his eye on branches here and there eversince i got him.

Today, i got a call from my vet for the fecal tests results and it turns out Jasper has TWO parasites...Coccidia & Pinworms.

I really, really, really, didn't want to say anything to somehoe jinx myself but i had a strong feeling he had those 2 parasites. I've been reading countless posts from other members even learning everything i could about them.

I got Jasper from a store out here in the Bay Area, my vet told me he's almost 100% sure Jasper got the parasites from the store. He mentioned they had a horrible rep a few years back. I've read bad reviews saying their reptiles had parasites and went through hell to get Jasper –

At 2pm, I'll be picking up both his meds so hopefully I can get Jasper to 100%...Funny how members told me I had the "chameleon virus" for worrying too much, and BAM my worries were right. BUT, i was told plenty of times to get a fecal test and i listened.

So i highly encourage everyone to get a fecal test. And this goes out to all the new chameleon owners. Just get the test out the way to make sure what you're investing is going to be worth it. Because our chameleons like to hide things from us when they know we're stressing :(

Wish me and Jasper some luck, i want to make sure he has a speedy recovery and also give me info on what to expect, treat, and the success rate of passing those parasites.

Thanks!

- Gabe

Sorry to hear that. That coccidia is some bad stuff, hard to get rid of. You'll need to do alot of washing. and keeping him away from his own poops(clean clean clean!) Goodluck :)

People should be getting these done every 6months(if your chameleon seems healthy) and right away when you chameleon has any odd poops or is starting to get sick. They are usually cheap- 25$ where i get mine done.

Sorry to hear that. That coccidia is some bad stuff, hard to get rid of. You'll need to do alot of washing. and keeping him away from his own poops(clean clean clean!) Goodluck :)

People should be getting these done every 6months(if your chameleon seems healthy) and right away when you chameleon has any odd poops or is starting to get sick. They are usually cheap- 25$ where i get mine done.
Thanks...I've heard it could take up to 6 months to pass, ugh.

I plan on upgrading him to brand new everything. Hopefully this somewhat cuts down the coccidia.

I'll be boiling and washing my jungle vines / fake plants down with 40% peroxide, those things are expensive.

Thanks...I've heard it could take up to 6 months to pass, ugh.

I plan on upgrading him to brand new everything. Hopefully this somewhat cuts down the coccidia.

I'll be boiling and washing my jungle vines / fake plants down with 40% peroxide, those things are expensive.

It's ok, atleast it's something that goes away. Always think positive :)

coccidia & pinworm meds

If anyones interested in how much i paid for the coccidia & pinworm meds, it's $28 bucks. Not too bad, i was thinking $100+ considering my eyedrops were $40.

I'll update this comment when i pick up the meds, figure out what meds i'll have.

Hope these parasites pass! I'll be trying my hardest to make sure Jasper makes it...

I would highly recommend you get Ponazuril for the cociddia. It may need to be special ordered by your vet from a compound pharmacy. Some vets still try to give Albon and it can and often does make your Cham really sick. Cociddia is highly contagious if you have other chams and the clean up is a major ordeal. I'm attaching a couple of links for you below. One about the Ponazuril and one about the clean up.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleons-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope-16409/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/coccidia-cleaning-need-advice-tips-please-42444/

I would highly recommend you get Ponazuril for the cociddia. It may need to be special ordered by your vet from a compound pharmacy. Some vets still try to give Albon and it can and often does make your Cham really sick. Cociddia is highly contagious if you have other chams and the clean up is a major ordeal. I'm attaching a couple of links for you below. One about the Ponazuril and one about the clean up.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleons-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope-16409/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/coccidia-cleaning-need-advice-tips-please-42444/
Thanks Jan!

I really appreciate the links, i'll be sure to read up on them right now.

Luckily i don't have any other chams with me at the moment. But i do have my girlfriends bunny in our room. Would it be able to catch onto her? pinworms or coccidia?

I have a brand new adult cage, lights, and i plan on buying new live plants. I will be using 40% peroxide and boiling water to treat everything i'll be reusing.

I hope everything turns out alright!! Sending thoughts and prayers your way!!

Thanks, i really appreciate your kind words...

Thank god Jan! Just called my vet and asked for the names of the meds i'd be getting. Ponazuril for the coccidia, and Panacur for the deworming.

i really hope Jasper can fight these parasites!

I'm sorry to sound stupid... but what are these parasites and how do they get them:confused:

I've heard of them before, and that they're horrid to get rid of, but that's all I've ever heard.. and I'll be honest, I have never research it, because it gives me the heebie jeebie:eek:

I'm sorry to sound stupid... but what are these parasites and how do they get them:confused:

I've heard of them before, and that they're horrid to get rid of, but that's all I've ever heard.. and I'll be honest, I have never research it, because it gives me the heebie jeebie:eek:

I'd like to know the same answers myself, and any question is never a stupid question. Glad you asked.

From what i've read it can be carried on by other reptiles. Usually Coccidia is found in Bearded Dragons (Don't take my word for any of this info, i could be wrong). Also it can be from your feeder insects, WC chameleons, WC insects, etc. Just say a store had a few left over feeder insects in a cage with a infected chameleon and decide to throw the insects back in the tank then bam, they contaminated their feeders. They can gutload themselves with parasites and it's a real mess. This goes for pinworms & coccidia.

Coccidia forms on the intestines of animals and multiply like crazy giving them a loss of appetite, weight loss, and a bunch of other symptoms. Couldn't really find simple "Human" explanations of this parasite.

Pinworms are nasty...pinworms are gastrointestinal parasites that can live in reptiles for years without symptoms, but can be fatal after they are activated. Pinworms can also cause diarrhea and loss of appetite (maybe Curby was showing that symptom). They are usually fatal to snakes if the pinworms start growing in the lung. There are many different species of pinworms, and some are worse than others. I also found out that they can be hard to get rid of because the eggs can become airborne and float around your house (ie, from one enclosure to another) and in ventilation ducts.

Hopefully Dr. O chimes in and gives us a brief explanation of the causes of my 2 parasites.

:eek: oh my gosh! That is really....yucky.

Hmm found in beardies... maybe that's what happened to Goliath!!

Man that is awful, poor Jasper :( He has to feel icky.

Good thing he has a parent that cares and wants to make him feel better :)

I really hope he gets better!!!

Pinworms are easy to get rid of and Panacur is fairly easy on a chameleon.

Parasites come form the feeders that your chameleon eats. For example, at the cricket farm a wild anole gets in with the crickets to eat a few because he's hungry. He poops while in with the crickets. Almost all wild anoles have parasites and crickets will eat anything so the crickets eat the anole poop. Later you get one of the crickets that ate the anole poop and your cham eats this cricket.....your Cham now has parasites. Fecals are very important because unless you raise all your own feeders and are very careful to keep everything out of your feeder bin then your Cham may very well have parasites and if they go untreated eventually they will take a toll on your chameleon.

Parasites come form the feeders that your chameleon eats. For example, at the cricket farm a wild anole gets in with the crickets to eat a few because he's hungry. He poops while in with the crickets. Almost all wild anoles have parasites and crickets will eat anything so the crickets eat the anole poop. Later you get one of the crickets that ate the anole poop and your cham eats this cricket.....your Cham now has parasites. Fecals are very important because unless you raise all your own feeders and are very careful to keep everything out of your feeder bin then your Cham may very well have parasites and if they go untreated eventually they will take a toll on your chameleon.

That is really interesting about anoles... I didn't know that they almost all carry parasites!! I'm such a clean freak (borderline OCD:p) and keep all my crickets clean and fat dumb and happy. Actually, I think I am gonna go clean the cage and crickets now...

Very informative information...I think i'll start raising my own feeders or buy them off breeders from the forums, if thats possible. I don't think i want to trust any other pet stores or websites outside of our sponsors. Crazy how a parasite could be transfered that easily.

now that Jaspers a client at my vet, i can get fecals for $26 bucks. (double checking that price today).

That is really interesting about anoles... I didn't know that they almost all carry parasites!! I'm such a clean freak (borderline OCD:p) and keep all my crickets clean and fat dumb and happy. Actually, I think I am gonna go clean the cage and crickets now...

Those little tiny green lizards? I'm in shock right now with all the possibilities with getting a parasite. I also gutload my feeders with high quality organic veggies/fruits. Might have to start my own colony because of this.

Meds

I really hope Ja$per gets a speedy recovery.

Even the vet made sure to make his "S" a dollar sign because he cost so damn much lol :p

IMG_9948.jpg

This is harder than i expected...

Having to hold him when he's shedding is not good...I feel so bad for jasper.

I have to give him eye drops, meds for coccidia & pinworms. Thats 3 medications he has to go through a day, then tomorrow is the same thing minus the dewormer.

I'm sure he knows you want what's best for him. Kinda like kids, they don't always like it, but they know you're looking out for their best interest :)

I like the $ btw :)

Back
Top Bottom