**PLEASE** is my Umbrella Plant Toxic or Not!?

ReptoMan22

i went to the local nursery today. the woman said a ficus would be good for a chameleon and she mainly sells that. i didnt find any of the plants to be what i was looking for and i ended up buying a nice foot and half umbrella tree. the woman at the store was not sure so the question that i have is am i searching the correct one because no one had any clear answers. i heard that the short bushy umbrella trees are safe but the taller skinny ones are not? My panther chameleon does NOT eat any of the Warnecki that i have in there now and im sure he wont be chewing on the umbrella if i do put it in. jeez i just wanna put it in there i know hell love it. to better explain this plant it is the tall skinny type with no white on it and no red just plain green and somwhat small leaves. the little sign in the pot with the name of the plant says a bunch of things so ill write exactly what it says 'Variegata' Arbre Ombrelle panache variegated schefflera schefflera variegada... im sure most of the words are in other languages or sumtin but it does not say arboricola anywhere and i also heard that arboricola are safe. ughhhh thats about it tho if someone could give me a straight forward answer so i can put this in his cage already im sure "Papa Smurf" my ambanja will love it and you. unless he dies from it :'[ i need to know asap :confused:

i still dont know tho cuz ive looked there but im pretty sure the plant i have is not actinophylla or arboricola. or maybe it is, but it doesnt say.Ugggh im lost

Reptoman, its not important what cultivar your shefflerra is, all are considered relatively safe. Please note that all shefflerra do contain oxylates (actinoiphylla more than arboricola)which may bind calcium If eaten in great quantities or/and may cause some topical discomfort (stinging of the mucosa tissues in the mouth) therefore use common sense, if your particular lizard rapidly defoliates the plants, you might try something else such as ficus, or hibiscus.
From all accounts panthers tend less toward plant eating than veileds anyway.
I have yet to see negative reports about the plant here, dont panic :)

I bought a veiled over the weekend and today bought a scheduler a arboricola last umbrella tree.. my question is biased off your conversation above, will it hurt my chameleon if he decides to eat the plant? I wasn't aware they eat the plants..

Back
Top Bottom