Please help!

Chameleonfan1

Alright guys, my chameleon is constantly shaking when he tries to move, and I don't ever see him bask. I got him a couple weeks ago and at first I thought he was just scared but after 3 weeks that can't be it. Also he is constantly clawing at the glass trying to climb then when he realizes he can't(after like 5 minutes) He tries to climb the top screen right near the day-lamp.
Does anybody know why this is happening is it an emergency or something???!:confused::confused::confused:

Alright guys, my chameleon is constantly shaking when he tries to move, and I don't ever see him bask. I got him a couple weeks ago and at first I thought he was just scared but after 3 weeks that can't be it. Also he is constantly clawing at the glass trying to climb then when he realizes he can't(after like 5 minutes) He tries to climb the top screen right near the day-lamp.
Does anybody know why this is happening is it an emergency or something???!:confused::confused::confused:

Where in MO are you? If you are near springfield we can get my sister to help you. Otherwise you need to fill out the help form as we need a good bit of info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Copy and paste it them fill it out, Thanks

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: It is a Veiled Chameleon,Male, around 7 months, had him for 3 weeks days total
Handling: Once, to clean his cage Feeding:I feed him mainly crickets and a mealworm a day
Supplements:Rep-Cal Calcium with VIT.D3 I dust 2/3 of all the crickets I give him
Watering:I spray his cage 2 times a day with a waterbottle and I bought a ReptiFogger which continuoulsly sprays all day.
Fecal Description: It "does his business" about two times a day and there is mainly brown with 1/3 of it looking like a whitish color but not runny
History:Gets very nervous when many people are watching, loves crickets

Cage Info:
Cage Type:Exo Terra mainly glass cage with screen top
Lighting:I use exo terra a white light and two reddish lights in the back
Temperature: Ranges from 80 degrees to 76 to 84 (estimates). Lowest overnight temp, 76. I measure these with a thermometer
Humidity: 40% I use the ReptiFogger to raise humidity, I measure this with a hygrometer
Plants: no live plants
Placement:In my bedroom no near any fans or vents, near a window and is on a table about 2 ft off the ground

Is your white light a UVB?. You have to know what kind of light this is! Extremely important!!!! I also would get rid of the red bulbs and get a regular housebulb for basking. 40-60 watt to achieve a basking area of around 80- 82 degrees or so. Why is your night time temp so high? If you are leaving the light on all night, then you need to turn it off to cool the cage down. You need to be dusting with a calcium with no d3 at ever feeding, the cal with d3 twice a month and also a multivitmin twice a month also.

When you say shaking could you elaborate? Chameleons often leaf walk which could be misinterpreted as shaking but is normal behavior.

Shaking and other answers

When I say shaking I mean his leg is all wobbly and well it shakes it only happens when he lifts his arms to grab something in this case the screen cage top. The lights, well they are red heat lights and what is a "house lamp"? and the white light is a idk brand but it has 2 like twisty lights which are both white.

House bulb is just a bulb that you would use in a lamp in your bedroom, living room etc. You have compact bulb if it is "twisty". But you don't even know exactly what you have then. Do you have the box by chance the bulb came in?. Your lighting is very crucial and you need to find out what you ar using. Most of us use the reptisun 5.0 tubes and I would highly recomend getting one, especially if you do not even know what kind of light you are exposing your chameleon to. It sounds like you have a combo with both UVA and UVB. .

Sorry

:mad:Its not my fault!!! The guy I got it from on craiglist had absolutely no idea what anything was he just gave us the chameleon. Plus I just burnt out one of the heat bulbs, instead of buying another one, should I just buy a house bulb or would a lamp be ok? And ok I'll see if I can get my hands on a Reptisun 5.0 or whatever as soon as I can!

I am sure it is not your fault. We see it too often with pet stores and I too have seen people selling chams on Craislist with all the wrong set up. If you have a dome, just screw an ordinary housebulb in it like I said. You must have one if you have the red lights and the twisty bulbs have to be in a dome or some type of shade. Then you will have to get a fixture to hold the Zoomed Reptisun 5.0. Zoomed makes a hood that fits their Reptisun. You could try home depot and see if you can find a cheap hood there. My home depot does not sell a hood that would fit but I have seen people on here who have found them there. They are cheaper than the Zoo med. You really need to get the UVB as soon as you can. Your twisty bulb is probably a uvb. Read on the bulb and see if there is anything printed on it. What do you mean lamp? You have to have some type of dome to screw the bulb in so it shines down in your cage. Why dont you post some pics of what you have and maybe we can figure it out.

??!!!

Oh I just looked at him and he was shedding! Idk if this is possible but was he clawing at the top to try and rub off the shedding skin?

Hes Shedding!!!

Idk if it factors in or something but, he was shedding! I don't think its a big deal but could he have been trying to rub the skin off on the toop of the cage?:cool:;):D:D

Well that is good but you still need to get this light situation straightened out. You gotta find out what you are using.

I suggest you get rid of the glass cage and go for a screen cage, Reptibreeze Medium sized will be perfect. Your going to want one uvb light 5.0 linear and one basking lamp with a 75watt basking white bulb in it. Then decorate the tank with vines and leaves and other stuff. Then your chameleon will be fine.

You need to mist 2-3 times a day and get a dripper to put on twice a day. You need to dust your crickets every other day with calcium without d3, twice a month calcium with d3, and twice a month multivitamins.

Do this asap. Glass aquariums are a big no no for chameleons.

I suggest you get rid of the glass cage and go for a screen cage, Reptibreeze Medium sized will be perfect. Your going to want one uvb light 5.0 linear and one basking lamp with a 75watt basking white bulb in it. Then decorate the tank with vines and leaves and other stuff. Then your chameleon will be fine.

You need to mist 2-3 times a day and get a dripper to put on twice a day. You need to dust your crickets every other day with calcium without d3, twice a month calcium with d3, and twice a month multivitamins.

Do this asap. Glass aquariums are a big no no for chameleons.

it may also be that he's seeing his reflection in the glass and that can stress them out, thinking there is another male/predator or something attempting to get to him.... i definitely agree with getting a different cage for him.... hand misting him with warm water will also help if he is shedding...it helps loosen the shed so he can get it off more easily. :)

Back
Top Bottom