Please help!

CapMoneyChris

I’ve had this veiled chameleon for some time we had a lot of ups and downs. But recently I’ve had troubles with his overall health. It started with a double eye infection which was treated but he never recovered fully. He stop hunting completely and I resorted to hand feeding he took that well then stop eating all together. I’ve seen him drink water constantly but no food other than the times I force feed him while he is opening his mouth for water. Kinda at wits end with him. I want to save him!!!! I know the sunken eyes are a sign of dehydration. But he drinks a lot. I’ve taken out his plants to keep a better eye on his health. If I didn’t he would hid all day long. Please help!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi and welcome. Yes, those eyes are very sunken and that’s not so good. The rest of him doesn’t look too bad though, so let’s get started in helping to get him back to good health. First, I’d like if you could post some pics of his current enclosure, including the lights and floor please.

Then in order to find any possible problems, we need much more info. If you could answer all of the following in as much detail as you can. With supplements, it may be easier to post a pic of what you use, but will still need to know how often each is given.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Based on the fact that he is extremely thin and his face is starting to cave in as well I am willing to bet his eyes being sunk in are actually due to illness not dehydration.

Fill out the form posted above for you and add pics of the entire enclosure including the lights on top.

I’ve had this veiled chameleon for some time we had a lot of ups and downs. But recently I’ve had troubles with his overall health. It started with a double eye infection which was treated but he never recovered fully. He stop hunting completely and I resorted to hand feeding he took that well then stop eating all together. I’ve seen him drink water constantly but no food other than the times I force feed him while he is opening his mouth for water. Kinda at wits end with him. I want to save him!!!! I know the sunken eyes are a sign of dehydration. But he drinks a lot. I’ve taken out his plants to keep a better eye on his health. If I didn’t he would hid all day long. Please help!!!
Then in order to find any possible problems, we need much more info. If you could answer all of the following in as much detail as you can. With supplements, it may be easier to post a pic of what you use, but will still need to know how often each is given.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Veiled Chameleon
Male
Possibly 1 year old
In my care for about 9 months

When it comes to handling. I’m not going to lie I don’t handle him he was very aggressive towards me. I was working with him daily for him to get more comfortable with my presence and it was working.

When it comes to feeding I went all out for him. Crickets, Mealworms, Hornworms, Dubai roaches. He usually ate till he stopped. On average 10 to 15 crickets per feeding and I’ll give him hornworms for extra hydration. I also had a suction cup feeder with mealworms for him to eat through the day. He was very good driven and we got used to hand feedings.

Many problems are related to husbandry errors. There is no shame to making these errors and there is no judgement here. You came here for help, and that is what we’d like to give. There’s a ton of old/outdated and incorrect info on chameleon care out there and it’s hard to know what’s right.

Hello! This is a great place to get support for your chameleon. I came here a little over a year ago and was also worried about people judging me or 'yelling' at me because I was doing something wrong. I have only ever experienced kindness and understanding. The community here is really awesome and only want to help others. Just my two cents, you are in good hands.

The only difference between you and most of us is we found help here before you. I'm a new keeper. The advice I’ve received here has made a world of difference for my guy. I was doing everything wrong. I mean everything.

This is a no judgement zone. People here are really passionate and helpful.

I definitely appreciated " tell it like it is" @Beman for saying what I needed to know without beating around the bush. @MissSkittles kindness - dropping personal videos on giving meds, @kinyonga with knowledge above and beyond, @jannb feeder, daily care and killing us with cuteness photos. The list goes on and on.

My advice to you is to ask as many questions as needed. Answer all questions and drop a ton of pictures of your Cham and the enclosure. Follow the advice as soon as you can. They will help you learn what works for your Chameleon.

Handling: I used 1 animal handling glove to remove my cham from the enclosure until I became comfortable with handling. 9 months in aand my Cham still throws his head aggressively, whines, and does not want me to take him out of his cage. With a Veiled, this may never change. They are GRUMPY BY NATURE.

Have you had a fecal exam? My guy had parasites. He was treated and things have been good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom