Please help

idk what i’m doing wrong. i have live plants. i have calcium and multivitamins. i have an automatic mister to keep it humid. plenty of branches to climb. the cage is clean. she basks normally and still has an appetite. I took her to the vet and she assured me she is fine although how she behaves at home is completely different. eyes have been closed during the day for about a week. now she is sitting with her mouth open. i really don’t want her to die.

Attachments

• F4A9448E-DB52-4D5D-935B-E98B51ED908E.jpeg
    F4A9448E-DB52-4D5D-935B-E98B51ED908E.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 95
  • A2F102FD-816C-420D-8202-51C4653CD5AC.jpeg
    A2F102FD-816C-420D-8202-51C4653CD5AC.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 66116EA2-F837-4B29-A004-172FF4B11214.jpeg
    66116EA2-F837-4B29-A004-172FF4B11214.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 61C06BAC-EA36-4330-929A-59F94D33507F.jpeg
    61C06BAC-EA36-4330-929A-59F94D33507F.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 80
Hi have you changed your lights? Have you lowered your humidity daytime. You mentioned in another thread him now her ? If it's a girl you will a lay bin as a permanent fixture can you post pictures of the back legs as only males will have spurs . Is your cham giving off to you or the heat?

it’s a girl the vet confirmed. she has no spurs on her back feet. i believe her mouth was open from the heat and yes the humidity has dropped between 40-50 during the day. & no i have not gotten a new light. i have to return the one recently purchased & find out where i can buy the one you recommended @Flick boy

First I’m not experienced. My initial thoughts are too high temps, max 80 is recommended, and overdose of vitamines / supplementation.

And just to mention you already doing a great job coming here asking for help and having live plants in her enclosure. Now it’s just the details…..

I don't know what age she is and I don't know if I've seen any pictures to give me a comparison on size but Imo It would not do any harm to put one in . Washed playsand is the most common recommended for a bin . Ok so where you given an idea of age by the seller ? As sonny has mentioned and I agree I would get your basking temp down to 76/ 78 max. What are your supplements and feeding routine ( I know you have filled this out before but just humour me ) 😁

First I’m not experienced. My initial thoughts are too high temps, max 80 is recommended, and overdose of vitamines / supplementation.

And just to mention you already doing a great job coming here asking for help and having live plants in her enclosure. Now it’s just the details…..
her basking spot has the gauge right where she sits to bask. it ranges from 75-80. i will post the updated info in this forum. and thank you i am trying everything to make sure she lives a long, healthy, & happy life.

idk what i’m doing wrong. i have live plants. i have calcium and multivitamins. i have an automatic mister to keep it humid. plenty of branches to climb. the cage is clean. she basks normally and still has an appetite. I took her to the vet and she assured me she is fine although how she behaves at home is completely different. eyes have been closed during the day for about a week. now she is sitting with her mouth open. i really don’t want her to die.

*UPDATED*

• Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female. i’m unsure of age but shes been in my care for about a month. has recently had his second shed.
  • Handling - 2-3 times a week. she rushes to come out when he sees me preparing her food
  • Feeding - calcium w/o D3 & retivitamin with D3 twice a week (vet instructed) dusted meal worms & crickets 6 in the morning. 6 in the evening.
  • Supplements - zoomed calcium w/o d3 & reptivitamins with d3, vitamin A, & calcium
  • Watering - THRIVE automatic mister
  • Fecal Description - herpoop is dark brown & oval shaped. the white part has always been white & about a cm(+/-) long
  • History - Juvenile veiled chameleon sold from petsmart

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it was a screen cage from a starter kit. i have the back & sides wrapped in plastic to help with humidity (idk if it has been but 🤷🏽‍♀️)
  • Lighting - zoomed blue light for heat. 26 watt THRIVE brand UVB bulb.
  • Temperature - 75-80s during the day. mid/low 70s at night.
  • Humidity - humidity meter stays between 40-50%
  • Plants - pothos & umbrella tree.
  • Placement - its near my window right BEFORE the ac draft. it’s on a 3 or 4 feet table
  • Location - about 30 mins south of Atlanta, Georgia

First thing is turn off all lights except the uvb light to get the heat down and maybe run a little fan, that will help bring down the heat as well.
@Beman @kinyonga @ERKleRose @MissSkittles
the temp at her basking spot is currently 76.2. she moves to cooler places in the cage and she’s also under my a/c vent. how cold would be too cold for her? i’ll turn the heat lamp off & keep an eye on the temp this weekend.

Are you hearing any popping or wheezing when she breathes with her mouth open? Does she have any stringy like secretions in her mouth. When did she see the vet last? These are all questions that the more knowledgeable people are going to ask.

I don't know what age she is and I don't know if I've seen any pictures to give me a comparison on size but Imo It would not do any harm to put one in . Washed playsand is the most common recommended for a bin . Ok so where you given an idea of age by the seller ? As sonny has mentioned and I agree I would get your basking temp down to 76/ 78 max. What are your supplements and feeding routine ( I know you have filled this out before but just humour me ) 😁
you’re right & i know her not being able to lay eggs will cause major health problems so i will get right on that. thank you!
i have just introduced crickets this past week so lately it has been 3 worms & 3 crickets in the morning & the same in the evening when i get home from work. but the worms are just until she runs out of this last batch.

calcium every day. reptivites & calcium 2x a week (vet told me this at our visit although almost everyone here says twice a month so idk what right truly)

Attachments

• C385CE7F-75D2-4231-B47F-0B76C4342533.jpeg
    C385CE7F-75D2-4231-B47F-0B76C4342533.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 5D504848-77B3-4D5D-9EBD-16BE8884E55A.jpeg
    5D504848-77B3-4D5D-9EBD-16BE8884E55A.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 031A7DA1-38B9-43E0-A998-AE1F0390EB44.jpeg
    031A7DA1-38B9-43E0-A998-AE1F0390EB44.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 70
Are you hearing any popping or wheezing when she breathes with her mouth open? Does she have any stringy like secretions in her mouth. When did she see the vet last? These are all questions that the more knowledgeable people are going to ask.
nope no breathing. no discharge from mouth or nose. she just went to the vet on 8/04. & she told me she’s fine other than being a little thin and wants to do a fecal test for parasites.

Reptivite has d3 in it I believe unless you got it without D3. I honestly would listen to the knowledgeable people here who care for chams and hav3 done so for years and they recommend plain calcium no D3 every day on feeders, lightly dusted, no powdered donut looking feeders. Then reptivite with D3 twice a month on the first and the 15 th of the month just to make it easy to keep track of it.

Back
Top Bottom