Please help! Little white lump on Chams Head.

Nikicat

My 2 year old Veiled yemen has had a little white lump on his casque for about 2 weeks now, it doesnt look like its under the skin more on top at first it looked dry with a red/blackish dot on top, now its just a white lump. Hes acting normal and it doesnt seem to hurt him. its fairly small and looks fleshy. if anyone knows what this could be please let me know.

Can your post pics? Also fill this form out please:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Pictures are really helpful. I could throw a guess out there like a cricket bite or something but pictures will give people a better idea of what it may be :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled yemen, male, not sure, possibly about 2/3. had him for about 2 years.
Handling - Not too often, everynow and again for shortish peroids.
Feeding - locusts,sometimes morioworms. everyother day sometimes every 2 days. gutloading with carrots normally
Supplements - Exo terra brand vitamins and calcium supplements. Supplemented seperatly.
Watering - Misting everyday. He often drinks from standing water.
Fecal Description - Brown- normal really. and no hes never been tested.
History - Health has always been fine, not ever any problems.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Vivarium, not sure exactly the size but its big enougth for him.
Lighting - Exo terra bulbs, Uv and heat bulb. Normally about 7 till 20:00.
Temperature - Thermometer. Hottest spot at about 80.
Humidity - Exo terra humidity cage, humidity is normally quite good, mist everyday twice.
Plants -
Placement - Mid height, fan on if needed if hot day, near a window so fresh air is regular. About mid height to the floor.
Location - England.

About a weeks ago i noticed a white bit on his casque, i did ignore it for a while as it looked kind of crusty and had a bit of blood (well what looked like blood or something dark) was on the top, so i thought he may of grazed his casque, left it to its own devices for a few days but now it seems bigger.
I spoke to someone in a reptile shop, says its possibly a cyst. But im not sure.Have been using repti-aid since yesterday as they recomended. Last night when i used it the top came of, the bit with the dark bit on kind of like a scab but theres still a lump. also its not flat it has a bump. Any help would be appreciated

DSC03712.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

my panther had a similar bump.. it was white hard and crusty looking. he seemed fine, ate and drank but i noticed he was a little more lethargic then usual. the hard, white, scab looking scale is actually the chameleons way of responding to infection. their pus appears this way..it may be bacterial and i advice visiting the vet to remove it. once removed you can either apply a bacterial ointment your doc gives you or use triple antibacterial ointment -- neosporin. it will take time for it to go away…my cham still has a little scar but it goes away more and more with each shed.

So it does have to be removed then? Is it possible for him to fight it himself? I think I will take him to the vets im just curious.

from looking more at the pics, it def looks like some sort of infection, prob nothing serious but you should def have it looked at because it will cause scarring the longer you wait. my panthers infection didn't spread that much but it would grow more and more..it almost had a "web" pattern to it but basically was a hard bumpy dry flaky section right behind his casque.. hope this helps at least a little because i know the feeling and the only way to truly resolve it is to take him tot he vet.

Where was your panthers one located, Behind the Casque? Yeah It definitly looks like it has gotten bigger in mass I Think, he doesnt seem lethargic thougth which is good. What size was your panthers lump when it was removed? And did he recover well? Thank you yes its helped i couldnt seem to find anything online similiar to it,will book him an appointment.

yes chances are it is gone already, but the only way to find out is to remove the old pus, scaby scales to see if the scales underneath are completely touching.. if he still has it , like mine did when it was removed, then you would be able to see some separation between the newer scales. you see, the infection arises in the body, anywhere..it could be a bacteria that isn't fatal to chams but will still show itself some how…this all happens under the epidermal layer so once removed, the vet can look closer to see if there is an gap or not. thats when you apply anit-bacterial cream to kill off anything that remains. then, after a shed the gap between the scales (very small, need a dissecting microscope or a magnifying glass to see) should be gone. im not home now but i will def post some pics of before and after to give you an idea of what my cham had.

its wasn't a lump, but it was raised crusty scales that looked as if you could try to pick it off. i didnt do that, instead i had the vet remove it for me under a scope. when i think of lump, to me it implies under the skin..i hope thats not your case because then i def dont know but that doesnt mean its not some sort of infection.

I was curious to why the top of the lump came of like a scab, but im guessing that may not mean the infection is gone then. Originally i thought it would be unsafe to remove the lump but if it will definitly help then il get the vet to do it. Thank you it would would be helpful to see them.

Its definitly not 'under' It looks like you could pick it off, almost like a pimple..ish. and its flaky.

thats infection, see, what i learned is that chameleons don't respond to infection like humans.. we get actual liquid pus inflammation. a chams equivalent to pus is actually a white flaky scab. the skin on a cham grows in layers so the pus will sit on the skin even though the infection arises under the skin layers. the next shed will either result in less pus or more.

Yeah, Iv never experienced it with my chameleons before, so its helpful to hear all this, is it the chameleons way of fighting the infection then I assume? Il will monitor him closely to see if it gets pussier or goes down, he doesnt shed too often however.

yes exactly, just how a human getting a pimple is a form of the skin dealing with an infection. it wont go down.. but it may spread. you really should just get the vet to take it off and all better lol. he will have some dark coloration after the removal and thats ok, its just the skins response to stress in the area..kinda like a bruise ya know? you and him should be fine, i don't think he need extra attention..but i will get those pics up soon so you can see

Back
Top Bottom