Please Help - Chameleon doesn't seem healthy

I already suggested the OP talk to the vet about using/getting flamazine which is good for burns, fungal and quite a few bacteria as well....so it pretty much covers all the bases... and the only thing I'm not sure it would help is if it's a stuck shed. However...as I said it should be up to a vet to check it out and decide what's needed...all we can do is offer possibilities for the most part on the forum.
https://chealth.canoe.com/drug/getdrug/flamazine
https://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/flamazine-cream

Also...this thread was started because the OP asked for help and it seems to have digressed for the most part. Hope were back on course now.

I already suggested the OP talk to the vet about using/getting flamazine which is good for burns, fungal and quite a few bacteria as well....so it pretty much covers all the bases... and the only thing I'm not sure it would help is if it's a stuck shed. However...as I said it should be up to a vet to check it out and decide what's needed...all we can do is offer possibilities for the most part on the forum.

Also...this thread was started because the OP asked for help and it seems to have digressed for the most part. Hope were back on course now.

How did it get off topic? Last responses I see are discussing the possibilities and related to the OP's question. For a second I made a joke, but then just wanted to give OP props for taking the time to fill us in with so much info.

Um I am sorry I spent 35 minutes going through their entire help form..... Which you can see as I posted it. So it was an issue that people think fondly of me and appreciate it when I step in to help? And what they should not ever voice any personal opinion? I am sorry but this is a community of people and we all support and care about each other. If that is now an issue and we can not be personal and tell each other that we appreciate what each other brings to the community then that is a place that I am not sure I would want to be a part of.

Excluding post 27 and 30 the posts from #23 to 34 offered no advice to the OP...they were just conversations. IMHO that hijacked the thread temporarily....but that's just my opinion.

Excluding post 27 and 30 the posts from #23 to 34 offered no advice to the OP...they were just conversations. IMHO that hijacked the thread temporarily....but that's just my opinion.
Wow 4 comments. The thread is destroyed :eek: Off with everyone’s fingers

While I respect your opinion. Is it also your opinion that the people coming here should not feel and see that we are a community that comes together to support each other. That we are friendly and caring? Because the posts you are questioning are exactly that. And honestly your making it a bigger deal then it ever should have been.. I think it is pretty sad considering everyone provided feedback and made the OP feel welcomed and most important HEARD.

No, of course it's not my opinion that the people coming here should feel that this is not a supportive community. That's ridiculous. How many times have I defended people against comments that some people have made over the years that are chasing people away? I'm not discussing this further in this thread because if I do then I'm hijacking the thread too.

My apologies to the OP.

Last edited:
@nightanole said..."I use olive oil on problem feet. never tried it around the eye" ...did it look like the spots on the OPs chameleon? Any comments on this?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/stuck-shed-in-eye-lid.118571/

I already commented, i think its a healing burn. Its healed way past the white and oozing phase. My olive oil comment was for "problem feet" as in feet that have had broken toes or other damage and cant shed normally. I dont butter up just stuck sheds.

Ive only had 1 fungal, and i dont think the cham would like daily soaks in betadine, but the water dragon didnt mind it.

Last edited:
From what I understand burns just do not make sense at all, too many variables missing.

@FrozenRain00
He’s aprox 1.5 yo, how long in your possession?

so there was no point in your care when he had obvious burns?

Can you contact the original owner and ask if he’s ever been burned before?

From what I understand burns just do not make sense at all, too many variables missing.

@FrozenRain00
He’s aprox 1.5 yo, how long in your possession?

so there was no point in your care when he had obvious burns?

Can you contact the original owner and ask if he’s ever been burned before?

Guess it depends on which angle you look at. The sides look like a 90 day burn to me. But on the other hand its also on the other side at the same spot, and its got white markings/bleaching on the tops of the legs. In my mind i think he got burnt on one side, so flipped to burn on the other side.

But i have not had to deal with a fungal with a cham.

Guess it depends on which angle you look at. The sides look like a 90 day burn to me. But on the other hand its also on the other side at the same spot, and its got white markings/bleaching on the tops of the legs. In my mind i think he got burnt on one side, so flipped to burn on the other side.

But i have not had to deal with a fungal with a cham.
And that’s completely possible but I can’t rest on that answer without more input from the keeper.

She also 'de-wormed' him.

What? he had worms? how unusefull to deworm an animal without parasite test/confirmation.. this vet was a terrible vet.. (can you please make a call juste to make sur she don't give a medication called ivermectin or imovec? or something like that? (some bad vet use it and it can lead to terrible consequence)

She noted that the spots didn't look like burns or mites and may just be hard spots to shed. She said he looked healthy from what she was familiar with.

Not this is definitely a burn, I know because I try the exact same bulb but more far than you do (I set them at about 80cm far and I got a burn.. again this vet is terrible.. did she even suggest a bacterial of fungal testing to be sure the burn didn't get infected? :( sorry about that she really thief your money :(

The basking is now a Sylvania halogen 60W spotlight.

ok here the issue ;) this is the exact cause of the burn, 60w for an halogen is intense! try to put your arm under at 8 inches ou try to put a ziplock bag under for 5 hours you gonna realize it will melt (I used this lamp with my hornworm at inches and they died.. my plastic container melt.. I use this lamp with a chameleon at 80cm.. and he catch a small burn similar to your

The vet had me raise it from 8 inches above the basking area to about 15 inches

finally.. she suggest something good..

some plastic reptile-safe plants

TBH with veiled no plastic is safe (if he chew of per accident it cal lead to bad consequences) your decision to keep it of not :) I personally removed my plastic plant when my chameleon was at 1secund to swallow one

about 5 dusted super worms daily-

super worms are kind of mcdo, you can try to alternate with another feeder like silkworm?

The idea of roaches scared me- if they get out, I don’t want to the be the source of an infestation. (tips on these- or alternatives would be appreciated).

yeah :( hmm if your getting good with roaches ID, you can ask for male (male alone can't really breed :) ) other than that, silkworm are good! you can also try to breed them its cool nice and cheap to breed your silkworm and its a super healthy food :)
Bugs are dusted daily with Rep-Cal Calcium w/Vit D.

Thats alooooooott of D3 ;) you need to slow down on this! you can also try to provide some natural sunlight 1 time a week he will be more than happy. Try to cut your d3 to 1 time a week other than that you take a risk of kidney damages and gulag oedema

used to take a banana slice out of my hand once every couple w

Lot of debate around the fruit, banana got lot of sugars and potassium (to much for chameleon, if this one was mine I will have cut this)

It seems like your temps are off. What are you using to measure temps. With a 60watt bulb at 15 inches. It just does not add up that your getting a basking temp of 88-94 degrees.

not at all, with this bulb this reading seem acurate to me, this shoot heat really really far.. too strong and too far and to focal

...I’m just not buying the burn theory, it doesn’t add up for me. I’m thinking a bacterial infection from the constant damp conditions or something along those lines.
im buying it 100% but I agree : since this burn is old, some fungal or bacteria can be installed in here, should clean it with iodine solution of chlorexidine and apply silver cream daily

All right :) good luck with him, sorry for this awful vet don't hesitate if you have more questions ;)

Back
Top Bottom