Please Answer quick

redfl83

Hi there i am in a panic as i got a cham & set up already fixed for me & he has been great for 2 months but my uvb is inside & now the last few days he has been lying beside it!!!
Can this burn him as it is still hot Luckily i am at home so when he has been going beside it i have been moving him away
Why would he be doing this?

I'm also a beginner, so I can't really offer much advice. But from what I know, the best course of action would be to check the temperature right at the light source. If it's hotter than the basking area, move the light to the outside of the cage.

I can't offer any information as to the reasons he may be doing this. You'll have to wait on one of the other more experienced members.

Oh, almost forgot, I would offer a little more info for the other guys. Cage info, light brand and power. I would also include other behavior patterns in the description as well, such as whether or not the animal stays there all day or moves around. Maybe even provide eating habits and colors. The more information you provide, the better advice will be offered. I learned that my first day here before I ever made a post.

i checked that the basking area thats 85ish & beside the uvb appears to just be 60ish so i can't understand why he is going near it now
Does the uvb work the same outsde the flexi?

I think placing the UV light outside the mesh will cut down the amount of UV in the enclosure, but not by much I don't think. Like I said before, the only reason I can think of is maybe mistaking it for a basking area. Is the area in front of the bulb more easily accessible?

i never keep lights inside the enclosure...id put it on the top...dont take any chances in burning him.

Also, what do you mean by "lying" next to?

Is there any way possible to include a pic of the cham lying in front of the light. Pics always help a ton. I think that's the easiest way to access the animal's health situation.

By lying i mean he is holing on to his flexi next to the uvb
He is fine health ways i haven't a problem with him that way its just the fact that he started doing this 2 days ago
Could it be that because the uvb is beside the flexi opening

i checked that the basking area thats 85ish & beside the uvb appears to just be 60ish so i can't understand why he is going near it now
Does the uvb work the same outsde the flexi?

Hi, there. Though the UVB will get somewhat blocked by the mesh, it's not enough blockage to be harmful to the chameleon. You can do more harm by having it inside in regards to burns, so you're better off taking it out. It is also a more stressful process to be continually picking up and moving your chameleon away from the light. The chameleon will regulate his/her heat as needed, so leave that portion of it to them. The ideal way (if possible) is to place the UVB in a diagonal fashion across the cage, though it's not ESSENTIAL....it just helps spread it a bit more.

Many have suggested that if you have a mesh setup such as yourself that you get a 10.0 bulb. However, on the enclosures I have had in the past that are/were mesh, I have always kept a 5.0. Again, the amount blocked by the mesh is not enough to kill off the chameleon. Make sure you don't have any kind of plastic or glass covering the lighted portion of the fixture. This can block any of the UVB that is needed.

Hope this helps.

Cam

Hi, there. Though the UVB will get somewhat blocked by the mesh, it's not enough blockage to be harmful to the chameleon. You can do more harm by having it inside in regards to burns, so you're better off taking it out. It is also a more stressful process to be continually picking up and moving your chameleon away from the light. The chameleon will regulate his/her heat as needed, so leave that portion of it to them. The ideal way (if possible) is to place the UVB in a diagonal fashion across the cage, though it's not ESSENTIAL....it just helps spread it a bit more.

Many have suggested that if you have a mesh setup such as yourself that you get a 10.0 bulb. However, on the enclosures I have had in the past that are/were mesh, I have always kept a 5.0. Again, the amount blocked by the mesh is not enough to kill off the chameleon. Make sure you don't have any kind of plastic or glass covering the lighted portion of the fixture. This can block any of the UVB that is needed.

Hope this helps.

Cam

Thats great thanks Should i move it diagonally to the back of the flexi then?
as it is too long to go on top

It's really better that you have the light across the top in some fashion, even if not diagonally. The light coming from the side of the enclosure can cause some annoyance, as this is not how light is traditionally seen in the wild. If you have too big a fixture, I suggest downsizing.

Cameron

It's really better that you have the light across the top in some fashion, even if not diagonally. The light coming from the side of the enclosure can cause some annoyance, as this is not how light is traditionally seen in the wild. If you have too big a fixture, I suggest downsizing.

Cameron

thats a great help i am away to fix it right now & take him outside for real sunshine 1st
Thank u again

hi there got it on top it wasn't as large as i thought so hopefully this will stop his silly behaviour lol He's basking in his outside house at the minute & thats saying a lot for sept in n.e england
Cheers for ur help

If your chameleon doesn't climb the mesh to sit near the light, how close is the nearest place (branch) that he can sit on under the light?

Back
Top Bottom