Plants making me itch HELP

I have super bad allergies as well, I’m allergic to just about anything that blooms and anything with fur. I only have a cat because I’m on some big time meds. When you are allergic like this you just have to do the best you can and that’s all you can do so if you need to use a few artificial plants then so be it. I think some of the silk plants are nice as long as you wash them well.

That is really odd that these three are the ones you got and are having issues with. I am allergic to everything that grows... Like everything. I have used all of these plants without issue though. I do have issues with ficus if they touch my skin. I have to wash my hands thoroughly when it comes to using anything that has hay or alfalfa in it. Or I get a red irritation and start sneezing constantly....

Which makes me wonder if it is the soil you used instead. Some organic soils have stuff in it that make me sneeze and itch.
I don’t think it’s the soil. I made my lay bin first before my plants and when I was doing that I wasn’t itching. Just only when I touched the plants. Maybe I should try to see if I can
I have super bad allergies as well, I’m allergic to just about anything that blooms and anything with fur. I only have a cat because I’m on some big time meds. When you are allergic like this you just have to do the best you can and that’s all you can do so if you need to use a few artificial plants then so be it. I think some of the silk plants are nice as long as you wash them well.
it was really bad with the ones I bought. I was itching, my eyes were itching, my lips, face and skin were tingling too. I guess I will be taking Claritin everyday it seems like. I will look into it

I don’t think it’s the soil. I made my lay bin first before my plants and when I was doing that I wasn’t itching. Just only when I touched the plants. Maybe I should try to see if I can

it was really bad with the ones I bought. I was itching, my eyes were itching, my lips, face and skin were tingling too. I guess I will be taking Claritin everyday it seems like. I will look into it
So I doubt it if it was the pothos.... I would test the umbrella and the marginata. Touch one of the plants like get all in it. See if it produces a reaction. The next day try the other.

So I doubt it if it was the pothos.... I would test the umbrella and the marginata. Touch one of the plants like get all in it. See if it produces a reaction. The next day try the other.
I’m not sure I would recommend that with the reaction you had. That could be dangerous. I’m with Beman, I don’t think it was the pothos but not sure of the other two.

Can you try getting some different plants from a different nursery and try that. Maybe you can find something your not allergic to and still Cham safe.

I’m not sure I would recommend that with the reaction you had. That could be dangerous. I’m with Beman, I don’t think it was the pothos but not sure of the other two.
Eh with her reaction she would find the problem plant more then likely.... Pop a benadryl for the reaction. Her reaction was not severe enough to put her into an ER.

Eh with her reaction she would find the problem plant more then likely.... Pop a benadryl for the reaction. Her reaction was not severe enough to put her into an ER.
No not this time but usually first time coming in contact with an allergen the reaction can be mild but the second or third time can be much worse especially with tingling in her face and itching lips! Being a nurse I wouldn’t recommend repeated exposure.

No not this time but usually first time coming in contact with an allergen the reaction can be mild but the second or third time can be much worse especially with tingling in her face and itching lips! Being a nurse I wouldn’t recommend repeated exposure.
I dunno I am not a nurse. I just have horrendous allergies. To me it would be worth a try.... But the other thing I am wondering is if all this happened in the same day that she was repotting them. If maybe the reaction was from something in the original soil. All sorts of fertilizer and pesticides in that.

I dunno I am not a nurse. I just have horrendous allergies. To me it would be worth a try.... But the other thing I am wondering is if all this happened in the same day that she was repotting them. If maybe the reaction was from something in the original soil. All sorts of fertilizer and pesticides in that.
Could be, I don’t know but it’s a thought

Can you try getting some different plants from a different nursery and try that. Maybe you can find something your not allergic to and still Cham safe.
I actually went to a nursery today. My grandma actually suggested I go there she’s assuming it may possibly be the stuff that they sprayed on them I may be allergic to. So I bought one plant and will see how it goes.

Bromeliads make me itch, but that's because varieties have sharp edges that cut the skin. I do think it's rare that all three of those plants would cause an issue so not sure what else would be safe. If it's contact based I'd say get some nice gardening gloves and wear long sleeves. Once the cage is planted you only go in for occasional pruning.
Today when I came home from the nursery I visited I put my sweater on and just touched it with my hands only. It wasn’t bad so far but I will keep touching it for about 2-3 days and see if it irritates my skin. Then if it doesn’t then I will go back and buy another one. I guess process of elimination. Wish me luck 🍀

That is really odd that these three are the ones you got and are having issues with. I am allergic to everything that grows... Like everything. I have used all of these plants without issue though. I do have issues with ficus if they touch my skin. I have to wash my hands thoroughly when it comes to using anything that has hay or alfalfa in it. Or I get a red irritation and start sneezing constantly....

Which makes me wonder if it is the soil you used instead. Some organic soils have stuff in it that make me sneeze and itch.
Im honestly not sure to be honest. I know I had a allergy test done about a year ago and I was allergic to a lot of grasses, trees, and dust. It was al lot of those types of things. I do have really sensitive skin as well so maybe it’s just my body’s weird immune system.

I did that today. I figured I would buy one plant at a time and if they do good for about 2-3 days then I will look into adding more plants. Hopefully it will go good

So I’m bought these 4 plants but they are are all making me itch. What else can in try that are completely safe for people and animals help! I did buy two little creeping Jenny’s but I don’t think they are making me itch. I need help because I literally only have creeping Jenny in my cage now 😭 I haven’t got my chameleon yet so I’m in not in immediate stress mode yet. But Definitely need some help 😭

i bought these:
1. Pothos mixed with Croton
2. Golden capella schefflera
3. marginata bush
Its thr msrginata bush. Pet Poisoning. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals lists the Dracaena genus as being toxic to dogs and cats. Pet poisoning symptoms may include vomiting, sometimes with blood, depression, lack of appetite and hypersalivation.

Im honestly not sure to be honest. I know I had a allergy test done about a year ago and I was allergic to a lot of grasses, trees, and dust. It was al lot of those types of things. I do have really sensitive skin as well so maybe it’s just my body’s weird immune system.
Yeah I had that done when I was younger my entire back had reactions from all the items they tested. So I feel ya with the allergy issue. The only two I have bought that I for sure had reactions to are ficus and then a bromiliad when it bloomed. The new one is the hibiscus I put into the bottom of his cage. If the leaves touch my skin I do get red and itchy. So I am just more cautious around them.

The only one I'm not familiar with is the creeping Jenny. Does it appear on any of the safe plant lists? These lists all include chameleon-safe plants—some even go so far as veiled chameleon-safe.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
I couldn't say if any would cause pruritus.

Regarding the dermal reactions, each of the other 3 plants above are toxic in one way or another. Some require exposure to sap, but that's conceivable when getting up close & personal with one's plants.

Short of finding tolerable plants, would wearing surgical gloves help? (They make looong ones too. :eek: )
Creeping Jenny is safe for humans and most pets it’s a very simple plant that just grows like crazy when it’s got enough water

Back
Top Bottom