Plants making me itch HELP

Eshelton3

So I’m bought these 4 plants but they are are all making me itch. What else can in try that are completely safe for people and animals help! I did buy two little creeping Jenny’s but I don’t think they are making me itch. I need help because I literally only have creeping Jenny in my cage now 😭 I haven’t got my chameleon yet so I’m in not in immediate stress mode yet. But Definitely need some help 😭

i bought these:
1. Pothos mixed with Croton
2. Golden capella schefflera
3. marginata bush

I wonder if there’s something on the plants that is making you itch, rather than the plants themselves. I’m guessing most commercial growers spray pesticides and fertilizers to keep the plants healthy and sale-able. Do you have someone that can gently wash the leaves of the plants for you? You could try a ficus benjamina (aka weeping fig) tree or money tree, but if it’s something that the plants have been treated with, you’ll likely have the same problem.

I wonder if there’s something on the plants that is making you itch, rather than the plants themselves. I’m guessing most commercial growers spray pesticides and fertilizers to keep the plants healthy and sale-able. Do you have someone that can gently wash the leaves of the plants for you? You could try a ficus benjamina (aka weeping fig) tree or money tree, but if it’s something that the plants have been treated with, you’ll likely have the same problem.
I washed them and re-potted them in organic soil. But every time im around them and they touch my hands and arms I just instantly feel itchy. 😞

I washed them and re-potted them in organic soil. But every time im around them and they touch my hands and arms I just instantly feel itchy. 😞
That’s odd for it to be all 3 different plants. I’m guessing you have hay fever or seasonal allergies? I would say make a few different trips to where you buy your plants and only come into contact with one at each visit and see if you itch after.
What kind of chameleon are you getting?

That’s odd for it to be all 3 different plants. I’m guessing you have hay fever or seasonal allergies? I would say make a few different trips to where you buy your plants and only come into contact with one at each visit and see if you itch after.
What kind of chameleon are you getting?
That’s so weird you said that lol my husband was like maybe you should just go run against the plants and bring some Benadryl 😂😑 I plan on getting a panther.

With any chameleon, I think all live plants are best. However, if you are having allergies to them, you may have to use some artificial ones to supplement the live ones you are able to tolerate. Fortunately panthers aren’t plant eaters, like veileds are so you can get away with it. There are some nice soft silky fabric-like reptile plants out there.

With any chameleon, I think all live plants are best. However, if you are having allergies to them, you may have to use some artificial ones to supplement the live ones you are able to tolerate. Fortunately panthers aren’t plant eaters, like veileds are so you can get away with it. There are some nice soft silky fabric-like reptile plants out there.
Where would I find those just like any conventional pet store?

Great I will check them out. I was trying really hard to do the live plant thing but it poses awfully difficult to me apparently. Plus so annoying and I hate returning things as well. Maybe I should try just one plant at a time for like a week or two and then keep track that way. Then for the time being maybe get some vines and stuff that’s are fake.

Bromeliads make me itch, but that's because varieties have sharp edges that cut the skin. I do think it's rare that all three of those plants would cause an issue so not sure what else would be safe. If it's contact based I'd say get some nice gardening gloves and wear long sleeves. Once the cage is planted you only go in for occasional pruning.

So I’m bought these 4 plants but they are are all making me itch. What else can in try that are completely safe for people and animals help! I did buy two little creeping Jenny’s but I don’t think they are making me itch. I need help because I literally only have creeping Jenny in my cage now 😭 I haven’t got my chameleon yet so I’m in not in immediate stress mode yet. But Definitely need some help 😭

i bought these:
1. Pothos mixed with Croton
2. Golden capella schefflera
3. marginata bush
The only one I'm not familiar with is the creeping Jenny. Does it appear on any of the safe plant lists? These lists all include chameleon-safe plants—some even go so far as veiled chameleon-safe.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
I couldn't say if any would cause pruritus.

Regarding the dermal reactions, each of the other 3 plants above are toxic in one way or another. Some require exposure to sap, but that's conceivable when getting up close & personal with one's plants.

Short of finding tolerable plants, would wearing surgical gloves help? (They make looong ones too. :eek: )

I get weird itching from hay when I go through it but it doesn't leave hives or rashes. Allergies are just so wild when you think about it. Your body goes into overdrive protecting you from something that isn't even bad for you 😭 immune system why you do this to me?!

That is really odd that these three are the ones you got and are having issues with. I am allergic to everything that grows... Like everything. I have used all of these plants without issue though. I do have issues with ficus if they touch my skin. I have to wash my hands thoroughly when it comes to using anything that has hay or alfalfa in it. Or I get a red irritation and start sneezing constantly....

Which makes me wonder if it is the soil you used instead. Some organic soils have stuff in it that make me sneeze and itch.

They're making you itchy, but no redness or anything else? Doesn't seem like an allergic reaction. I've never really dealt with allergies though so IDK.
Well where my arms and hands itch there are little welts almost. Then I feel my face tingling a little. I do have allergies but I’m thinking because technically since they are poisonous plants that have like a milky/watery substance in them and it can cause skin irritation I’m thinking maybe it’s that. Thinking I may try a spider plant maybe and see how it goes and if it goes well then I will try another plant.

Back
Top Bottom