Plant Hydroponics

deadhd5

Avid Member
Hello folks.

I have umbrella plants in each of my two cages, the perfect plant for cover and water droplet retention. However, they are getting weak by being constantly water logged.

Has anyone tried using a non-soil hydroponic solution like perlite?

I plead the fifth as to how I got my experience in this area, haha.

Thanks chameleon forums community!

I don't think it would work, with hydroponics your flooding 5 times a day so the plant to get the water or nutrients it needs to grow, do you water your plant? If so just don't do it anymore or try peircing a couple more holes I'm the plant pot to allow the water to escape

Umbrella plants are not really tropical but subtropical, which is why they cannot take constant wet feet. I would either increase the drainage holes or use a sand mixture, which does not hold moisture as much as potting soil.

I fill the bottom half of my pots with sand. It really helps let go of all the extra water (just make sure you have a good drainage system for your cage) and it stopped all my plants from dying.

I mix soil with perlite like 50/50 and I fill the pot like 1/4 the way in the bottom with river rocks for better drainage. Works pretty good for my umbrella plant. I don't think umbrella plants would work in a hydroponic setup very well. Maybe if you set up a mister head in a large PVC pipe with a netted pot so the mister would mist the roots, and drain back into a reservoir of nutrient enriched solution. You could also try a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the lid for a net pot and use an atomizer/ fogger for the supplemented solution. Just some ideas from past experimentation:D

Back
Top Bottom