Plant Experts Gather Round!

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I have a giant hibiscus tree in my backyard, I would like to grow one in Codas cage since she likes the flowers so much. Can I take one of the seeds from one of the flowers? Where are the seeds? And how do you do this??

thanks!

So I have a giant hibiscus tree in my backyard, I would like to grow one in Codas cage since she likes the flowers so much. Can I take one of the seeds from one of the flowers? Where are the seeds? And how do you do this??

thanks!

https://www.burpee.com/gardenadvice...-hibiscus/encyclopedia__Hibiscus-article.html

I've never grown one from seed only bought mine already going. The link above gives you the starting from seed directions though. As to the inside growing, are you planning on rotating two plants or trying to leave 1 in full time?

Leaving one in there, if I can get a second one to grow I will rotate them

You will have a hard time caring for the hibiscus inside the enclosure. I have found it is very hard to get it to bloom -- it needs full direct sun -- and imho it needs more heat to bloom than we get in the enclosures. I think that is why Dshuld asked if you would be rotating them.

Ohhhhh I thought it would be, I have her enclosure next to a window, would that be enough? I have a T5 HO light in there would that help?

Leaving one in there, if I can get a second one to grow I will rotate them

Cool, lots of light and "mist water" lol. The ones in Lola's cage get 15 min a day off of 2 mist nozzles with slightly higher flow then mistking nozzles plus, the 3 row "rain" drip line. Her plant box is drained once a week.

You will have a hard time caring for the hibiscus inside the enclosure. I have found it is very hard to get it to bloom -- it needs full direct sun -- and imho it needs more heat to bloom than we get in the enclosures. I think that is why Dshuld asked if you would be rotating them.
Ohhhhh I thought it would be, I have her enclosure next to a window, would that be enough? I have a T5 HO light in there would that help?

It is doable inside with one, it just takes a bit more then all the other plants we use to keep it inside full time. Next to a window will help yes, have a pic of the setup?

Mine readily blooms in my bioactive enclosure. My male vailed eats the blossoms all the time. This enclosure is right by the window.

Attachments

• BA515578-525F-4CC6-BC7E-A6EE052842A7.jpeg
    BA515578-525F-4CC6-BC7E-A6EE052842A7.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom