Plant Blight and non-toxic remedies!

WilcoxAE

Established Member
Alright horticultural and chameleon aficionados. I am attempting to cure some plant diseases without killing the chameleons in the process. There seems to be nothing on the forums regarding such problems. I hope others have experience with such and can comment or can learn from this.

I have an unfortunate case on some schefflera (umbrella plants) I recently bought for a deal. (Some deal)

As with most things, it was too good to be true, and has brought in powdery mildew, blight, and wonderful little mealy bugs. It is most likely blight, starting at the tips of the leaves and works up the leaf until the whole leaf curls up, turns black, and drops off. The mealy bugs have completely covered my pothos! :(

Remedy (?):
My remedy thus far for the blight and powdery mildew has been to apply 1 Tbsp baking soda to a gallon of water and use it to wipe each leaf. (Big schefflera, not the mini.) This has seemed to alleviate the powdery mildew. It has NOT cured the blight.

I am going to make a mixture of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), mineral oil, plain kitchen dish soap, a little bit of garlic, and two or three drops (not even a teaspoon) of Natria Fruit and Vegetable Spray. Maybe overkill but better overkill than underkill and this should not be enough toxicity to harm the chameleons as they don't eat the schefflera.

As for the pothos, it's going to be cut down to a nub, above the potting soil. All infested leaves and vines are going to be bagged and thrown away, along with the gloves used to touch them.

All twigs in the cage, will be scrubbed with the same solution as is the cage.

Dam this all to hell but it's better than losing all the plants and having to replace them at significant cost. (Effin' New York City)

If anyone has experience with such, please add your two cents. If not, wish me luck and I will post photos for all to learn and grow as a chameleon community. :p

Cheers!
Wilcox

I agree...I am just so hinky about using it around chams?

I am also worried that neem would kill any live feeder insects or get into the feeders before being ingested?

It is an insecticide after all...although natural...

I know neem oil is 100% safe, also maybe an idea would be just to start fresh with new plant from different source?

Um I'm not so sure neem oil is safe around a very small animal like a cham. I seem to recall some warnings about using it around pets. Maybe depends on the concentration? And yes, I don't want my cham eating an insect dying from neem exposure.

What about using some soapy water?

Alright horticultural and chameleon aficionados. I am attempting to cure some plant diseases without killing the chameleons in the process. There seems to be nothing on the forums regarding such problems. I hope others have experience with such and can comment or can learn from this.

I have an unfortunate case on some schefflera (umbrella plants) I recently bought for a deal. (Some deal)

As with most things, it was too good to be true, and has brought in powdery mildew, blight, and wonderful little mealy bugs. It is most likely blight, starting at the tips of the leaves and works up the leaf until the whole leaf curls up, turns black, and drops off. The mealy bugs have completely covered my pothos! :(

Remedy (?):
My remedy thus far for the blight and powdery mildew has been to apply 1 Tbsp baking soda to a gallon of water and use it to wipe each leaf. (Big schefflera, not the mini.) This has seemed to alleviate the powdery mildew. It has NOT cured the blight.

I am going to make a mixture of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), mineral oil, plain kitchen dish soap, a little bit of garlic, and two or three drops (not even a teaspoon) of Natria Fruit and Vegetable Spray. Maybe overkill but better overkill than underkill and this should not be enough toxicity to harm the chameleons as they don't eat the schefflera.

As for the pothos, it's going to be cut down to a nub, above the potting soil. All infested leaves and vines are going to be bagged and thrown away, along with the gloves used to touch them.

All twigs in the cage, will be scrubbed with the same solution as is the cage.

Dam this all to hell but it's better than losing all the plants and having to replace them at significant cost. (Effin' New York City)

If anyone has experience with such, please add your two cents. If not, wish me luck and I will post photos for all to learn and grow as a chameleon community. :p

Cheers!
Fortunately, I only have the powdery crap under the leaves on a large pathos plant in 1 cage. I made the cage myself; It's large, 36x40x30, half of the bottom is a large bin dedicated to a laying area. The other side is a large bin that catches the water as it drips off the plants.
I have had these guys and 1 other for several years and am just seeing this icky stuff for the first time. I want to wage a pre-emptive strike for the other cages, so....
I only have 1 question: will my babies be OK drinking the water off of leaves that have been sprayed w the baking soda concoction?

Back
Top Bottom