Pothos toxicity, what's up with it???

So i live in florida. Not sure if you have heard of all of the chameleon ranching going on in south florida. So anyways they live freely out there just like the iguanas. I have looked for information as to what plants these guys predominantly eat in that area as far as plants go. I wasnt able to find anything but they are thriving down there and south florida is loaded with pothos and other plants that are highly toxic. But same goes for the shefalera plant i know alot of people talk about having them in their enclosures but they say they are midly toxic and if your cham eats alot of the plants in the enclosure you should take that one out.

they have been reported to vastky hraze on the red razilian peppertree fruits. I had som poop
Samples that were full of them
Toxic as well

So I was going to get hibiscus but the nursery sells them without growth so roots in a pot. This would be great if I could take months for it to grow in.

@jamest0o0 I have already killed 3 indoor plants trying to work them into outdoor plants. :hilarious: So fig tree, and citrus trees would be ok? Would these be ok in pots?

@cyberlocc yes I would love a vine that would take over. So with the passion fruit vine this would be ok with my Veiled plant eating beast?

I am so worried I will kill him by putting the wrong thing in.

Someone else told me Jasmine???? But they had not tried it with a Veiled.

I tried Jasmine, it lived great in the pot, but when I put it in the enclosure it almost drowned. My Veiled loved to climb it and never tried to eat it. But the Jasmine hated the high humidity and wanted to be some were dryer.

Is an avocado tree safe?
According to toxicity no it is not. It is also dangerous for birds so I would be cautious using it with a veiled.

I keep Avocado Tree's in my greenhouse. There is many varieties of Avocado. Some are considered nontoxic while other varietals are considered toxic. There has been talk about this on previous threads on these Chameleon Forums. To my knowledge the two main species seen in the USA the Mexican Avocado was considered non toxic. While the Guatemalan Avocado was considered toxic. The had not been research on the topic. However the research that had been done was from UC Davis.

Here's a link.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/avocado-trees.26507/#post-1190762

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I keep Avocado Tree's in my greenhouse. There is many varieties of Avocado. Some are considered nontoxic while other varietals are considered toxic. The has been talk about this on previous threads on these Chameleon Forums. To my knowledge the two main species seen in the USA the Mexican Avocado was considered non toxic. While the Guatemalan Avocado was considered toxic. The had not been research on the topic. However the research that had been done was from UC Davis.

Here's a link.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/avocado-trees.26507/#post-1190762

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I'm not talking about chameleons specifically, just that I thought all avocados had persin which is apparently very toxic to some animals. Birds in particular I believe which are probably closer to reptiles than mammals. Also, you don't keep veileds, or do you?

I'm not talking about chameleons specifically, just that I thought all avocados had persin which is apparently very toxic to some animals. Birds in particular I believe which are probably closer to reptiles than mammals. Also, you don't keep veileds, or do you?

So yes Avocado is not good for birds, it is on the bad list. I do wonder about other animals, but have never seen anything as of yet.

So yes Avocado is not good for birds, it is on the bad list. I do wonder about other animals, but have never seen anything as of yet.

I was not talking about birds. I was speaking with regards to chameleons. However I have kept Parrots and Veiled Chameleons in the past. Why are we talking about parrots here though? I know Parrots can have much more serve reaction to toxins in food. They have more of a negative of reaction than anything I have heard or have seen in literature to toxins than anything than what I have seen with regards to chameleons. As regard for toxin's in Avocado the report of an Avocado killing livestock was from one report in the link I provided.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I was not talking about birds. I was speaking with regards to chameleons. However I have kept Parrots and Veiled Chameleons in the past. Why are we talking about parrots here though? I know Parrots can have much more serve reaction to toxins in food. They have more of a negative of reaction than anything I have heard or have seen in literature to toxins than anything than what I have seen with regards to chameleons. As regard for toxin's in Avocado the report of an Avocado killing livestock was from one report in the link I provided.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

It was more in rearguards to avocado and that there was something in it.

Just a thought, maybe the veiled Chams in captivity like the sensations the plants cause them when they eat it?

Like monkeys getting high off millipedes

This thread has gone on for way too long without anyone fighting. This isn't the cham forums I signed up for.

F U man. Ur opinions suxxorz I know more than you something about navy seals and jujutsu

Last edited:
Perhaps veileds just like the taste of Pothos and other plants. While the calcium oxalate crystals may be abrasive when they eat them, is that any different than when we eat yummy things that shred our upper palates? If looked at from the same perspective, why do humans eat things such as Froot Loops that have no nutritional value, hurt our mouths when eaten and can over time contribute to health problems (diabetes, obesity, etc)?

Perhaps veileds just like the taste of Pothos and other plants. While the calcium oxalate crystals may be abrasive when they eat them, is that any different than when we eat yummy things that shred our upper palates? If looked at from the same perspective, why do humans eat things such as Froot Loops that have no nutritional value, hurt our mouths when eaten and can over time contribute to health problems (diabetes, obesity, etc)?

See where you're coming from, but wouldn't really be the same. Fruit loops do have nutritional value. Not the best, but there is a reason people and animals crave sugar. Pothos for chams is probably more for fiber and maybe a little hydration It'd be like if we ate powdered glass on bark lol. I tend to think it is because they digest so little of it that not much actually comes in contact with their digestive tract. That said, I think the plants shoot the crystals out where the leaf breaks, if I understand correctly, so their mouth would still come into contact. Maybe they don't care like you said, possibly a high pain tolerance in their mouth. This could explain why they eat bees and wasps without being bothered. I'm sure many insects they eat have spikes/stingers/you name it, would help to be less sensitive to that stuff.

Just a thought, maybe the veiled Chams in captivity like the sensations the plants cause them when they eat it?

F U man. Ur opinions suxxorz I know more than you something about navy seals and jujutsu

Yeah good point, I mean I love very spicey food. Something about the burn makes eating more enjoyable. Something about the pain releasing endorphins.

So there are squids and puddle pirates on the forum????

Everybody keeps recommending scheffelara lol... I was just speaking for everybody... I've tried with blood & sweat on my effort to say it is a shit plant for numerous reasons, everybody at that point turns right around and says the opposite...saying it's a great plant..

Who is everybody saying it was the best plant? Do you mean when you said it was impossible to keep alive inside, meanwhile many of us have kept it alive NP? For most chams, schefflera(amate in particular) is an amazing plant. I wouldn't say 'the best' though. Anyway, the only chams that really need to worry about toxicity are veileds.

My Chameleons, my Koi and my tortoises eat Pathos.
My tortoises have for decades.
My Koi have for 12 years.
My Chameleons for a year.
None eat very much of it.
Everyone is perfectly healthy.

I know there hasn’t been any new replies on this thread in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering if the same thing goes with philodendron as with Pothos. I have gotten many people saying that philodendron are bad, and some saying it’s fine. But it seems like it should be fine because the part of philodendron that is toxic is also oxalate crystals.

I’m pretty sure they are okay, but I figure I’ll get as many opinions as I can.

Back
Top Bottom