Pixie and the egg!

Discussion in 'Chameleon Breeding' started by Miss Lily, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Miss Lily

Miss Lily Chameleon Enthusiast

I came home from shopping today to see Pixie had pooped and laid a single tiny egg! She has had a lay tub in her viv since I got her in September 2016. I've covered the front of her viv for now.

Attached Files:

Fiona's Mom and CamrynTheCham22 like this.
  2. ColorificChameleons

ColorificChameleons Established Member

How exciting :) Congrats

3. CamrynTheCham22

CamrynTheCham22 Avid Member

How cool! You must be so proud :LOL: I am guessing the egg was infertile . . ? Just curious. Congrats!

4. Miss Lily

She's gone on to lay 3 more. It's her first time, but not mine. I've had female Veileds in the past and they always laid ok. It's concerning that she is dropping them from her branches, but from research I've done on here and online it appears that it's not uncommon for a female's first clutch. It seems to me like she thinks she needs to poop rather than lay. She's asleep now as it's almost 8:30pm ere in the UK. Hopefully she will dig a hole and lay the rest tomorrow.

5. jannb

jannb Chameleon Enthusiast

Please keep a close eye on that little sweetie. She may need a vet and x-Ray. Dropping eggs can be a bad sign.....remember my sweet girl Sadie?

6. Miss Lily

Hi Jann, I vaguely remember Sadie. The shop I got Pixie from has said that a few of their Panther girls had struggle a bit with their first clutches. I am going to watch her closely throughout the day tomorrow, obviously without her seeing me look at her.

CamrynTheCham22 and jannb like this.
  7. laurie

laurie Retired Moderator

Good luck Tiff! If she is dropping them successfully all may be well! They sure know how to keep up on our toes, don’t they?

CamrynTheCham22 and Miss Lily like this.
  8. jannb

I'll be praying that your sweet girl will be ok.

9. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

Maybe you could dig a hole for her and show it to her and it might help...maybe it would t too.
    They're usually in trouble when they do this from what I know.
    Good luck!

jannb likes this.
  10. absolutbill

absolutbill Chameleon Enthusiast

Keeping you both in my thoughts - it's so stressful with these little girls!

CamrynTheCham22 likes this.
  11. Miss Lily

She's been in her laying tub today but hasn't been digging. Got a vet appt this evening at 7pm. Hopefully get her an oxytocin injection.

Fiona's Mom likes this.
  12. Fiona's Mom

Fiona's Mom Chameleon Enthusiast

Please keep us posted. Sending positive vibes and prayers everything turns out ok.

13. Fireborn

Fireborn Avid Member

Hopefully your pixie will be ok!

14. Miss Lily

We're back! Vet couldn't feel any more eggs in her, but that's not to say there aren't any. Pixie had a calcium injection and we'll need to go back for xrays tomorrow afternoon if she doesn't lay any more. Vet was reluctant to administer oxytocin since she could feel any eggs.

15. Fiona's Mom

Come on Pixie...give your keeper a break...it's Valentines day! Get rid of the rest of those eggs...you can't keep them until Easter. Seriously...I hope she's ok.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  16. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

The calcium injection is sometimes enough to help....fingers crossed that she gets to work now!

CJ's Exotics, Fiona's Mom and jannb like this.
  17. Miss Lily

Funny you say that but one of my Veiled girls laid on Easter Sunday a few years ago!

CJ's Exotics and Fiona's Mom like this.
  18. Fiona's Mom

Were they as colorful as a chameleon for Easter.:ROFLMAO:

19. Miss Lily

Been back to the vets. This vet said they could feel another egg and suggested an xray which I agreed to. This was done by another vet and he said there were around 4-6 eggs still inside her. He gave her another calcium shot and some oxytocin. In the 5min journey home she laid 4, followed by another 3 when I put her back in her cage. Hope that they all come out and don't cause more trouble! She's laid 14 so far.

CJ's Exotics, Fiona's Mom and jannb like this.
  20. jannb

Go Pixie! You get those eggs out and recovery quickly from laying them.

CJ's Exotics and Fiona's Mom like this.