Pixie and the egg!

Update - she hasn't laid any more eggs. The vet said the xray showed there were between 4 and 6 still in her and she laid 7 after the oxytocin on Thursday and none since. She has been going down to her lay tub yesterday and today and has been digging, although I think she may have laid them all. Not managed to get food in her as yet as all she wants to do is come out.

Update - she hasn't laid any more eggs. The vet said the xray showed there were between 4 and 6 still in her and she laid 7 after the oxytocin on Thursday and none since. She has been going down to her lay tub yesterday and today and has been digging, although I think she may have laid them all. Not managed to get food in her as yet as all she wants to do is come out.

She is probably still feeling the effects of the oxytocin, which is causing contractions and is why she might be digging. They don't know how long it takes to clear a reptile's system. Even the temperature will affect how quickly it is cleared. There are no studies for even dosages.

She probably has laid them all but eggs can be hard to find on an x-ray. They have no diaphragm, so the eggs can be high up in their chest which can be hard to find, especially if the eggs are poorly calcified (common in infertile eggs) or they are lying behind other eggs.

I had one take a long, long time to get over oxytocin. It was really hard on her. I took her in for an x-ray the day after she laid with the assistance of oxytocin because she was still digging and acting like she had eggs. There were no more eggs. It took her days to stop being in labour thanks to the lingering effects of oxytocin.

She is probably still feeling the effects of the oxytocin, which is causing contractions and is why she might be digging. They don't know how long it takes to clear a reptile's system. Even the temperature will affect how quickly it is cleared. There are no studies for even dosages.

She probably has laid them all but eggs can be hard to find on an x-ray. They have no diaphragm, so the eggs can be high up in their chest which can be hard to find, especially if the eggs are poorly calcified (common in infertile eggs) or they are lying behind other eggs.

I had one take a long, long time to get over oxytocin. It was really hard on her. I took her in for an x-ray the day after she laid with the assistance of oxytocin because she was still digging and acting like she had eggs. There were no more eggs. It took her days to stop being in labour thanks to the lingering effects of oxytocin.
Thank you! That actually makes a lot of sense! She seems back her normal self today although he may have had a little dig while I was out earlier. All she wants to do is come out, not interested in her usual favourite food, or any food for that matter. Still drinking though. I don't understand how she didn't dig a hole ion the first place!

Is that why oxytocin is recommended as a "last resort"?

I've had females dig after laying all their eggs until I removed the laying bin form their room. I'm not saying to remove her bin. I've also never had a chameleons that had oxytocin dig afterwards.
I am very worried that she's not eating. That's not a good sign.

She is back to her old self though. I had to remove the Veiled girls' lay bins after they laid too, as they kept going back down to cover the eggs more. I'll have to buy some wax worms to tempt her I think. I'm not too worried about her now she has laid them all. She's got a strong grip still and looks really good!

It is a good sign that she is drinking, but if the oxytocin is still having an effect on her system it could cause her to not want to eat. (No actual experience to support this, but it does seem odd that she isn't eating after all that.)

So, 10 days after the firstfegg she has finally eaten, and is back to her normal self. She was digging again yesterday and has eaten a waxworm and 2 supers this morning.

So, here we are, two months later and I thought Pixie was receptive again. She dug a hole in her lay tub on Monday and this morning she dropped 8 eggs from the branches. I've kept her cooler and haven't overfed her. I didn't realise she would lay again so soon. The shortest gap my Veiled girls had between clutches was 4 months.

It would appear that it was a clutch of just 8 this time. She's back to her normal self today. Now she needs to learn to lay them in the tub! Still, I'm glad she has laid them without any trouble,and that's the most important thing.

I’m glad to hear that your sweet girl is ok. That does sound like a small clutch and the clutch’s were really close together.

I’m glad to hear that your sweet girl is ok. That does sound like a small clutch and the clutch’s were really close together.
Thanks Jann! Yes, she's bounced straight back to normal this time and no vet trips were needed, although I would've taken her had I thought she needed it. It's been just over 2 months since her first clutch. I have no idea how often female Panthers lay so not sure if that is normal for them. Now, if she could only read the manual, especially the chapter on digging and laying eggs in the hole, that would be fantastic! :rolleyes: Maybe next time!

Back
Top Bottom