Pinning BSFL...

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi guys! I am about to start feeding BSFL. I have read where they can come out the same way they go in. Then I read something on pinning them right before they are fed. I wanted to get feedback if this is a preferred way of feeding to ensure that they are properly digested. Or should I try feeding first to see if he has issues with not digesting them? I have had no issues with him not digesting any other feeders. Thank you! :)

I read and did this back when I started feeding BSFL, but with further reading and experience i came to realize it's a huge waste of time and they'll generally do just fine digesting them. No big deal if one makes it through undigested once and awhile. I wouldn't waste the time pinning.

I read and did this back when I started feeding BSFL, but with further reading and experience i came to realize it's a huge waste of time and they'll generally do just fine digesting them. No big deal if one makes it through undigested once and awhile. I wouldn't waste the time pinning.
k thank you!

Thank you for saving me the time ! @jamest0o0
About to throw b.s.f. into the mix for feeders. I'm a new owner of a male furcifer pardalis he showed no interest in dubia 80 % of the time I've offered it be.hopefully he will be into these.

I held up a dubia, no go, grabbed a bsfl, bam right away, none of my chams will eat dubias, not even without feeding for a short time. As far as pinning, I don't do that, I just clean them off and put in cup with crickets or silkworms etc... they eat them, no problem, but I noticed my chams will take a bite sit for a few seconds then crunch a munch

Last edited:
Ok follow up question to this.... So a BSFL made it through and came out alive! I am going to try pinning... My concern is that it came out alive and could it have caused any harm to him in doing this?

Ok follow up question to this.... So a BSFL made it through and came out alive! I am going to try pinning... My concern is that it came out alive and could it have caused any harm to him in doing this?

YIKES I've tried the bsfl and he gives them the dubia treatment a glance then hunts for crickets or worms. Maybe it's best I hold off til he's bigger and can digest um. @Beman hope pinning works out if you do keep feeding them give us an update.

YIKES I've tried the bsfl and he gives them the dubia treatment a glance then hunts for crickets or worms. Maybe it's best I hold off til he's bigger and can digest um. @Beman hope pinning works out if you do keep feeding them give us an update.
Yeah it was a little shocking... It came out with his stool but like not in the stool and started crawling. But I don't know if it could have harmed his digestive track or if I am a worry wart. I about had a heart attack. He did pass one prior that was not digested but that one was very dead.

Wow I have seen them come through, but never alive! Are you sure it wasn't just an escaped one or did you see it come out? I have wondered this in the past, but I feed so many bsfl and others do, I've never heard of them harming a chameleon from the inside. If he's acting fine and the stool looks normal I wouldn't worry.

i personally dont really feed my chameleon with the larvea but they adore the fly! ;) ;et them turn black then turn into fly ;)

My chams enjoy both the fly and larvae, I actually have BSflies that reproduce on their own in my enclosures. I've heard their nutritional content changes though? Do you happen to know if they still carry a positive calcium to phosphorus ratio as flies? I also like that the larvae can be gutloaded to a small extent.

Wow I have seen them come through, but never alive! Are you sure it wasn't just an escaped one or did you see it come out? I have wondered this in the past, but I feed so many bsfl and others do, I've never heard of them harming a chameleon from the inside. If he's acting fine and the stool looks normal I wouldn't worry.
Yep I watched it happen. At first I thought it was just undigested stuck to the side of the poop then it started crawling away. I immediately freaked out and cleaned everything out but wow not something you want to see before your first cup of coffee!

My chams enjoy both the fly and larvae, I actually have BSflies that reproduce on their own in my enclosures. I've heard their nutritional content changes though? Do you happen to know if they still carry a positive calcium to phosphorus ratio as flies? I also like that the larvae can be gutloaded to a small extent.
One of the reasons I was feeding was because they have higher calcium and are supposed to be so good for them. Maybe I will stick with pinning the heck outa them to avoid a repeat omg moment.

What do you have to do to get them to turn into a fly?

Leave them at room temperature, warmth speeds up the process too. They turn black and harden. After several days to a week you'll see a black fly that looks like a wasp. Don't worry they can't bite or sting.

Leave them at room temperature, warmth speeds up the process too. They turn black and harden. After several days to a week you'll see a black fly that looks like a wasp. Don't worry they can't bite or sting.
What do you keep them in and how do you get them out without releasing them all over the place?

Back
Top Bottom