Pinning BSFL...

Yep I watched it happen. At first I thought it was just undigested stuck to the side of the poop then it started crawling away. I immediately freaked out and cleaned everything out but wow not something you want to see before your first cup of coffee!
WOW! After reading this, I am not sure I am going to even attempt at adding these feeders. That just freaked me out and yes, not something you want to see before breakfeast! LOL :wideyed::wideyed::LOL:

What do you keep them in and how do you get them out without releasing them all over the place?

I just leave mine in a deli cup, the flies will sit on the sides. They're slower than houseflies and usually dont move as much so you can kinda push them right into the enclosure. You'll see they're not hard to deal with. I have bioactive enclosures though so I just throw handfuls of larvae into my enclosure and you'll end up seeing them pop up around the cage after a little while. The larvae are also good detrivores and soil aerators.

I just leave mine in a deli cup, the flies will sit on the sides. They're slower than houseflies and usually dont move as much so you can kinda push them right into the enclosure. You'll see they're not hard to deal with. I have bioactive enclosures though so I just throw handfuls of larvae into my enclosure and you'll end up seeing them pop up around the cage after a little while. The larvae are also good detrivores and soil aerators.
Do you think if I just dropped a few in the base of his potted plants on top of the rock that would work? Like let them get hard so they aren't moving around when I do it? Is that called pupating?
My mom is living with my daughter and I so she might freak out even more on me with having a bunch of flies lol. She is not happy about the roaches which took like two weeks to convince her and then which the BSFL in the fridge well that one was fun as well. :p

WOW! After reading this, I am not sure I am going to even attempt at adding these feeders. That just freaked me out and yes, not something you want to see before breakfeast! LOL :wideyed::wideyed::LOL:
Right I was totally not expecting it. I am going to feed him two today but pin them a few times so at least they wont come out alive. I will see how that works and let you know. :)

Do you think if I just dropped a few in the base of his potted plants on top of the rock that would work? Like let them get hard so they aren't moving around when I do it? Is that called pupating?
My mom is living with my daughter and I so she might freak out even more on me with having a bunch of flies lol. She is not happy about the roaches which took like two weeks to convince her and then which the BSFL in the fridge well that one was fun as well. :p
Yvan just toss them in the plants, that’s what I’ve always done in my non bio viv.

So explain what is "pinning exactly?"
You just take like a sewing pin and poke them so that you poke through their outer like skin stuff. Not sure what it is called in bugs. It is supposed to allow for digestion since they are basically oozing. I just did two of them and it was easy. I poked them each 3 times and they are still moving. Beman chews his larger feeders but does not always with the BSFL. I think because they are smaller.

This little sucker just flew for the first time in Roux’s viv as we were discussing this. He lasted for all of about 10 seconds! Roux cam flying from the opposite side of his viv to snag him! He shook his viv so hard from pushing off the branches to get at him I thought he fell. If you want to see the primal hunter side of your Cham, adult BSFs(or any flying prey) is the way to do it!

Attachments

• CA02BE3B-D0CD-49FA-AFE1-9DC06D061AD1.jpeg
    CA02BE3B-D0CD-49FA-AFE1-9DC06D061AD1.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 123
This little sucker just flew for the first time in Roux’s viv as we were discussing this. He lasted for all of about 10 seconds! Roux cam flying from the opposite side of his viv to snag him! He shook his viv so hard from pushing off the branches to get at him I thought he fell. If you want to see the primal hunter side of your Cham, adult BSFs(or any flying prey) is the way to do it!
Oh wow ok I will have to try it!

Well now I'm definitely going to introduce a few larvae give them their time and see how his aim is.

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL:

What do you keep them in and how do you get them out without releasing them all over the place?
time, you just wait they gonna turn into fly

they are really slow and really dumb fly.. its easy to catch them! and they are attracted by uvb light so they will stay in your chameleons place then.. in your chameleon belly :p too keep them alive they can drink, so water and if you want to be fancy with your gutload.. water with a bit of honey ;)

time, you just wait they gonna turn into fly

they are really slow and really dumb fly.. its easy to catch them! and they are attracted by uvb light so they will stay in your chameleons place then.. in your chameleon belly :p too keep them alive they can drink, so water and if you want to be fancy with your gutload.. water with a bit of honey ;)
Awesome thank you!

today I took my little dude to the vet for an initial exam and fecal. After going over my husbandry and set up and feeding routine i set the sample down for the Dr. A bsfl erupts from the sample. We both got a good laugh out of it since we were just discussing the feeding. All things aside they recommend I reduce my mist king time and frequency.

Gross as hell but my boys in good shape just waiting for the results on the fecal. He was also regarded as a "very fiesty little panther". He was all fired up and wouldn't really stay put when they tried to weight him. He is up to 34g from 7 when I got him and am feeling way better about everything.

today I took my little dude to the vet for an initial exam and fecal. After going over my husbandry and set up and feeding routine i set the sample down for the Dr. A bsfl erupts from the sample. We both got a good laugh out of it since we were just discussing the feeding. All things aside they recommend I reduce my mist king time and frequency.

Gross as hell but my boys in good shape just waiting for the results on the fecal. He was also regarded as a "very fiesty little panther". He was all fired up and wouldn't really stay put when they tried to weight him. He is up to 34g from 7 when I got him and am feeling way better about everything.

LOL and that is why I pin mine now before he gets them. 1 pin through and they still move around. Just make sure you dust them first or it is pretty gross because they do ooze a bit. Since I started pinning them I have not had any make it through :p
That is a great weight gain!

LOL and that is why I pin mine now before he gets them. 1 pin through and they still move around. Just make sure you dust them first or it is pretty gross because they do ooze a bit. Since I started pinning them I have not had any make it through :p
That is a great weight gain!
I know he wasn't the slightest bit happy but I couldn't resist taking this photo to commemorate our first vet visit. I've not been attempting any handling so I was pretty happy I could get him out on the first try.

I've tried to pin and either have a heavy hand or too large a pin. I tried a few and they just died or stopped moving enough to get his attention

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-110019.png
    Screenshot_20190327-110019.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
I know he wasn't the slightest bit happy but I couldn't resist taking this photo to commemorate our first vet visit. I've not been attempting any handling so I was pretty happy I could get him out on the first try.
OMG his face... He was cursing at you for sure. So freaking funny. Love his colors! They are really coming in beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom