Phoenix Worms...

JenniferAlicia

My baby is about 4 months old and loves phoenix worms, I was curious since they are so high in Calcium how often she can have these and if this suppliments dusting or not?

She gets crickets daily, a meal worm or two a week and phoenix worms.... I am asking because I am planning on buying more phoenix worms and if she can have them daily I was curious if I still should dust her crickets or if that is over kill?

Thanks...

Also,
She loves her worms, so what else could I buy her?
Silkworms? Hornworms?
Any suggestions, experience, and advice are welcome!

I feed mine them twice a week.....

They are high in calcium and phosperous and low in fat making them a really good choice! The high calcium content means they are an ideal food for gravide chams!

However, they arent as high in protein as other feeders but they do make up for it in all the other areas :)

I feed mine them twice a week.....

They are high in calcium and phosperous and low in fat making them a really good choice! The high calcium content means they are an ideal food for gravide chams!

However, they arent as high in protein as other feeders but they do make up for it in all the other areas :)

Have you tried hornworms or silk worms?

Ziva (my girl) seems much more interested in worms than crickets, I mean to does chase her crickets and eat them, but if she had a choice of worms or crickets, it is hands down, worms.
So if I feed her worms I have to feed crickets in the morning, and worms in the afternoon.

Analysis Crickets Mealworms Superworms Medium Phoenix Worms
Fat% 6.0 12.7 17.9 9.4
Protein 21.3 20.3 17.4 17.3
Calcium PPM 345 133 124 8155
Phosphorus PPM 4238 3345 2320 5355
http://www.wormman.com/pd_phoenix.cfm

Accroding to the scheme phoenix worms DO have the smallest amount of protein compared to all the other feeders, so I don't really know why you are defending your point on phoenix worms having high protein when they obviously don't have high protein. Phoenix worms are one of the best feeders to give, but around here also the most expensive. They are easily to breed though. Not the cleanest way of breeding feeders, but it can be done..

Have you tried hornworms or silk worms?

Ziva (my girl) seems much more interested in worms than crickets, I mean to does chase her crickets and eat them, but if she had a choice of worms or crickets, it is hands down, worms.
So if I feed her worms I have to feed crickets in the morning, and worms in the afternoon.

I have never tried hornworms.... perhaps someone else can chip in here.

Silkworms are a good feeder in general but i feed them very few and far between as i find they cause runny poop in my chams if fed too many and too frequently.

fresh phoenix worms are different from
the ones that come from cups have been starved

that link isnt too reliable
http://hubpages.com/hub/Phenix_Worms

it states
"As for breeding phoenix worms, there is conflicting information out there. Where some people say this type of worm CANNOT be bred, while other people say they can."

phoenix worms are the larvea of the black soldier fly
and can be bred. They occur naturally.

the phoenix worms are available
commercially should be lower in nutrients
because they are living on what they have.
but they are still good

I culture my own phoenix worms for
compost purposes as well as for the benefits of
my animals.

fresh phoenix worms are different from
the ones that come from cups have been starved

that link isnt too reliable
http://hubpages.com/hub/Phenix_Worms

it states
"As for breeding phoenix worms, there is conflicting information out there. Where some people say this type of worm CANNOT be bred, while other people say they can."

phoenix worms are the larvea of the black soldier fly
and can be bred. They occur naturally.

the phoenix worms are available
commercially should be lower in nutrients
because they are living on what they have.
but they are still good

I culture my own phoenix worms for
compost purposes as well as for the benefits of
my animals.

not heard that before but its makes total sense. I am just going on what professional have said that have studied the various feeders......

Would mind my chams sampling some of your home grown Pheonix worms they sound very good... better than the ones i get from ricks reptiles!

We bred phoenix worms using mostly garbage from fruit, potatoes and other stuff, they seem to breed really well, just make sure it doesn't get too slimy and wet, it can smell as well, we put a very large bucket in a seperate room.

So, back one of my original questions, if supplementing phoenix worms often, (and possibly horn and silk if she enjoys them) how often should I dust...
and can I feed less crickets to supplement the worms, or should they solely be a dessert or added bonus per say?

Thanks

I highly recommend breeding Black Soldier Flys! Get a BioPod now! They destroy compost and do wonders for reptiles. I've got 3 Jackson's and 4 gold dust day geckos, where the only food I feed them is the "phoenix worms." They are in an 8'x8'x8' outdoor cage in Hawaii so plenty of other insects get in there but the majority of their diet is the grubs. My male Jackson's was found in bad shape on the road but has fully recovered, thanks in part to the grubs nutritional value. Also once a colony is established (I've made every mistake in the book, mostly overfeeding, so it took me around 8 months) but the smell really does go completely away and other species of insects are repelled from the BSF colony.

I highly recommend breeding Black Soldier Flys! Get a BioPod now! They destroy compost and do wonders for reptiles. I've got 3 Jackson's and 4 gold dust day geckos, where the only food I feed them is the "phoenix worms." They are in an 8'x8'x8' outdoor cage in Hawaii so plenty of other insects get in there but the majority of their diet is the grubs. My male Jackson's was found in bad shape on the road but has fully recovered, thanks in part to the grubs nutritional value. Also once a colony is established (I've made every mistake in the book, mostly overfeeding, so it took me around 8 months) but the smell really does go completely away and other species of insects are repelled from the BSF colony.

I was looking up how to do so and for me I do not think it would be possible. I have two dogs and it would be extremely difficult to keep them away from the colony, and during the winter I would be out of luck.

I guess it is alot more economical, but I think it is too difficult and not worth it for me since at the present I only have one chameleon

On a second note, wow an outdoor set up in Hawaii would be so perfect, especially since Jackson's naturally occur on a good amount of places in Hawaii, they had them when I was visiting family on Oahu.

They're maggots...whether they eat trash or not is sort of your call...

But they are good feeders.

I snickered when I read the whole "protein" debate...chameleons don't really need a lot of protein and most criticism I've seen of cricket gutloads has been "too high in protein".

They are a good feeder. Unless I was raising them myself, I wouldn't make them a staple because of cost.

Not all chameleons will be attracted by them. Just as there are chameleons who love worms, there are chameleons who have little interest in worms. As your's seems to appreciate them, go for it.

Just to confirm.. these would be a good everyday feeder along with my dubias? And few Superworms every 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom