Petsmart Cham and Set-up

he didn't look terrible, but he didn't look good either. :( i just wish they would put him in a screen cage. and give him a proper water source. the humidity gauge read 20 in the tank.

It's horrible how they treat their animals. It sucks, you want to buy them but then they'll just replace the animal :(

That's slightly nicer than the poor cham enclosure I saw at Petco a few months ago. It was about the same size, but had like nothing in it except a fake plant. At least this guy has stuff to climb on even though the poor fellow can't climb up :(

This is were I got my cham as well(it was a gift). Same cage and half the size thought but now she is living good.

Sad...that looks all too familiar to me since I used to work there. BUT, we always did our best to give them proper enclosures with what we had...that is, what corporate would allow :rolleyes:

That's where my veiled came from, too...i saved him ;)

I'm glad so many of these chams got proper homes. i know how you feel... with corporate breathing down your neck and all. i'm glad you did what you could! :)

I'm actually a lil jealous of the colors this one is showing already. Is this a male or female I know it's hard to tell but looks female to a noob like me

I'd say male...the females usually don't have so much yellow and barring like that...but the casque does look relatively short and you can't see the spurs...so it's possible that it is female, i suppose!

i thought female at first. but after a closer look i noticed that it was in fact a male. it had the spurs on its feet. :)

I'd say male...the females usually don't have so much yellow and barring like that...but the casque does look relatively short and you can't see the spurs...so it's possible that it is female, i suppose!

Lol I guess it was me being hopeful. Yea I couldn't see the spurs either that's why I thought female

I was at Petsmart the other day and they told me they stopped carrying Chams because they would all die. Poor guys :( Petco still has them though...

Again...I've never seen a chameleon at PetCo or PetSmart here....

Maybe as San Diego is the home of PetCo there are stricter rules? I only go to one PetSmart, the one close to me. But I go to a number of PetCos. There are 3 about the same distance from my house so they get visited when other things near them are needed by the family....There is also one very close to where I work so I will stop there on the way home. I always go see what reptiles they have. I've never seen a chameleon. Mostly they have bearded dragons, some geckos and the occasional snake.

Of course they have turtles and frogs too...

I guess I'm glad because I would feel the need to rescue an animal being held in a bad situation.

I saw one a few days ago that looked terrible. It was in the smallest sectioned off glass cage they have on their endcaps with no vertical space. Had a water bowl and basically everything else done wrong too. It didn't look good and wasn't even tightly gripping the branch it was on.

Please, resist the urge to "rescue" these animals. It may feel good in the short term, but they will just order more. If they die they will get written off in inventory and they won't be ordered anymore. Petsmart didn't used to be like this. When I worked there 10 years ago, they didn't get "exotic" reptiles in and the stuff they had would get cared for properly. Now though, they're dabbling in stuff they have no business carrying.

Back
Top Bottom