Pet Insurance - not just for Dogs and Cats.

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
PLEASE DO BETTER! As a owner you are responsible for providing medical care. There are so many post here where a owner can't afford to get Vet care for their sick Cham and the Cham suffers until death (which is a whole different conversation). Holding your Cham in your hands or placing him/her in a comfortable place does not replace getting medical care. For me, Pet Insurance is a no brainer. Pet Insurance can cost 15.00 - 30.00 a month. Most policies cover sick visits upto 5000.00 annually with a 50.00 deductible PER VISIT. Nationwide, State Farm, Met Life, among others, all offer pet insurance for Chams. I can't speak to particulars but what I can speak to is removing a barrier to a Cham getting medical care. My Cham had 3 Vet visits his 1st 30 days in my care. I pay 15.00 monthly for 1700.00 of annual coverage. 2 Vet visits were sick visits totalling 400.00. I paid the 400.00 and was reimbursed, from Pet Insurance, 300.00 Let's do the math. 15.00 x 12 = 180.00 annual cost. I've already received a 300.00 reimbursement. If I don't use this insurance for the remainder of 2023, I've already received the value of my cost +120.00. In fact, I have increased my coverage. I now pay 20.00 a month for 5000.00 annual coverage. Most importantly Carmelo can see a Vet without me worrying about the cost. He doesn't have to suffer because I can't afford a Vet visit. This is affordable access to Vet care. PLEASE DO BETTER!

Anyone taking out insurance be mindful before doing so to look into policy and read the small print as some things are not always covered, also too many people buy chameleons from let's say not the best places , unknowingly to them they have just purchased a cham which has underlying health issues due to incorrect husbandry from the pet shop or breeder , buying from a reputable source maybe more expensive, but will save heartache in the long term, ( if you purchase an animal and it shows health issues within a short period of time you policy maybe invalid ,

@Flick boy is correct. Buy from a reputable breeder but be financially prepared for any situation. If you purchase or adopt a Chameleon, be financially prepared to pay for medical care. I am usually not a proponent of insurance but if having pet insurance increases a pets access to care, by all means, get the insurance. Please read the fine print. Most policies are effective 14 days after they are written. They usually only cover sick visits and require you to pay the Vet and be reimbursed. Please do your research and make the best choice for your situation. The bottom line - your pet deserves to be cared for in the most humane way possible. The typical " I don't have money to pay for Vet care," is not acceptable.

Great idea. Viewing this forum tells you that Chameleon Care is expensive. For me, a pet store victim, just getting the correct set up was expensive. You have a really cool pet, with an awesome habitat but can't access medical care when needed. As you plan your purchase and habitat, also plan for medical care.

Owning any animal requires being fully responsible for their care and expense within reason. Having said that, if my dog gets cancer I'm going to do what it takes to get her better. I would not, however, put my chameleon on the same level as my dog.

I only had pet insurance once for a cane corso at the time she was the first in the country it was ok at the first I only ever claimed once for a minor op. But after a few years the premium was ridiculous £ 800 per year ( which believe it or not I could insured 2/3 horse's for this ) so be good ask people with experience which companies as good and also what premiums they are likely to see after the cham is a few years old, I would also expect it to be more expensive with a female.

I have pet insurance for all of mine (1 bunny, 2 guinea pigs, 1 chameleon, 4 cats). It's worth it in case of an emergency for sure. But it doesn't cover preventative or pre existing conditions so saving up money and finding an affordable, knowledgeable vet is also tantamount.

Not everyone knows what they're getting into when they get a chameleon, partly because of the way the pet stores and irresponsible breeders sell chameleons and their kits, partly because of hierarchical beliefs about types of animals and their care/worth.

But once you know it's important to do better, fix the issues you have, and rehome any animals you can't properly care for.

It is important to note that Pet insurance must be purchased before you start taking to the vet. Most have a waiting period before it activates. If you have had to take the chameleon to the vet prior to the insurance activating they will place an exclusion on the policy. So if you took the cham in for a respiratory infection then that will not be covered in the future.

Always best to set this up as soon as the chameleon is brought home. Also read fine print... Some do not cover wellness exams only illness/injury.

So I’ve had Eustis for going on 3 years now so because I’ve taken him to the vet for possible respiratory infection but none was found does that mean If he does get a respiratory infection, they won’t cover it? I don’t have insurance on him yet but would like to if the answer is no to my question. Which one do you all recommend?

So I’ve had Eustis for going on 3 years now so because I’ve taken him to the vet for possible respiratory infection but none was found does that mean If he does get a respiratory infection, they won’t cover it? I don’t have insurance on him yet but would like to if the answer is no to my question. Which one do you all recommend?
I would believe not if no ri was found then it's not an underlying condition just a health check

Carmelo was 2 1/2 + years old with a unknown health history. I had no problem getting Pet insurance. I've used it twice. I have MetLife but Nationwide has good coverage.

It just depends. You can go through the process of getting it. You have to tell them what vet he was taken to and for what. Their underwriters make the decision. But if they decide that is excluded on the policy then it is not covered.

It just depends. You can go through the process of getting it. You have to tell them what vet he was taken to and for what. Their underwriters make the decision. But if they decide that is excluded on the policy then it is not covered.
Ok thank you

Anyone taking out insurance be mindful before doing so to look into policy and read the small print as some things are not always covered, also too many people buy chameleons from let's say not the best places , unknowingly to them they have just purchased a cham which has underlying health issues due to incorrect husbandry from the pet shop or breeder , buying from a reputable source maybe more expensive, but will save heartache in the long term, ( if you purchase an animal and it shows health issues within a short period of time you policy maybe invalid ,
Good idea to get a well check so you can then demonstrate there is no preexisting condition

I did not have to get a well check prior to putting mine on Nationwide insurance.
No but they sometimes will argue that a pet might have already had a problem ( chronic obviously not for accidents) thus pre existing so it is just " insurance for the insurance".

Back
Top Bottom