Pattern/Color Change issue

Hello,

I have been a little concerned lately because my chameleon has started to get patters (darker green/black spots) for no reason that I can point out. Sometimes ill just go check on him and he has a dark pattern like when he gets stressed! Most of the time it actually goes away when I get there, which is very confusing. Today I went back to get some more crickets and came back to the cage and he was in the corner with super dark patterns! I know he is still not completely comfortable with me but it's happening when I am not in the room too. Anyone know what could be a potential issue?

Species is Veiled and he is about 3 months. Also, temp is at a stable 81/80.

Hard to say without pictures and a review of your husbandry. Here's the info we need to make educated comments:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

hey love, please fill out the form, there are many reasons a chameleon could be showing those types of colors and to make educated guesses we will need all the information you can provide us with, pictures would be great too!

hey love, please fill out the form, there are many reasons a chameleon could be showing those types of colors and to make educated guesses we will need all the information you can provide us with, pictures would be great too!
Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, 2-3 months according to the last person I filled this out for. He has been in my care for about a week or so now.

◦ Handling - I have not handled him yet because I feel he needs more time to get used to the way things are going. Don’t want to stress him out.

◦ Feeding - Feeding is just starting to pick up, as I haven’t found the perfect way to feed him. I started with meal worms then found out they aren’t great for every day feeding. I then got dubia roaches and finally after a lot of trial and error figured out a way to feed him without them running away or falling to the bottom (put them on the ceiling). Now that I’m getting him to eat in general I’m going to start gut loading. Also I tried a feeding bowl but I don’t think it’s the best for this cage set up.

◦ Supplements - Repticalcium for the calcium no D3 and reptical for the multi vitamin and calcium with D3. Without D3 in mostly every feeding and others every two weeks.

◦ Watering - I have a pressurized mister that I spray whenever I see it gets dry and I also use a dripper for secondary/ when I’m at work. I mist just all the plants until I see they’re well dripped for him to drink. I actually saw him drink for the first time today after using the water purifier I got! Was very exciting, I was getting worried :)

◦ Fecal Description - Brown poop and the white one looks like its becoming more white and less orange tinted which is good.

◦ History - nothing I was told.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage - Combo cage with glass that has ventilation in the front doors and mesh on the top. 12 x 12 x 18 for now and will be upgrading in a few months when I love. Brand is Exo-terra.

◦ Lighting - Reptisun UVB 5.0 light for the UVB. Switched from the infared nano 25w to the 25w basking for heat. Brand for heat is zoo med. 8am-8pm for both.

◦ Temperature - 84 degrees at all times (aside from night time) I got a system that shuts off when it gets any hotter than that. It floats above the mesh with just a makeshift lamp holder I set up. Bottom stays at 72 degrees. Big time I’ve seen mid-low 70s. I have 3 thermometers. One is the original with a temp and humidity gauge. Second is the new system I referred to that has the timer. Third is a classic thermostat for the bottom.

◦ Humidity - From 50-70. Sometimes 40’s and 30’s when ventilation is going smooth. 80’s at night. Maintaining by making sure ventilation is good and misting the substrate if it gets too low. Use a thermostat/humidity gauge.

◦ Plants - No live plants for now, waiting til I get a new cage then hopefully going fully bioactive.

◦ Placement - Cage is in the corner of my room, kinda made its own little room by covering it all up with makeshift blinds. No fans or air vents nor high traffic. Don’t know the height. It’s on a night stand.

◦ Location - East Bay Area.

Current problems: As mentioned, color change is worrying me because it's happening for what seems to be no reason. Also if you have any tips for feeding that would be awesome! I struggle with crickets so much because I place them near him and they fall off. My cage set up has hiding spots for them so it's a struggle. Also substrate is getting puddly so i'll be removing it fully as soon as I get the chance and keeping it out for good. I just recently got a huge pond formed in the cage from misting without realizing it so I cleaned the cage fully and put a small layer of substrate. Next time i'm just going to keep it empty.

Here are some pics too

Attachments

• 1558646032969.png
    1558646032969.png
    236.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1558646049047.png
    1558646049047.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 64
More pics of him and the enclosure. You can see he’s getting dark patterns and he was like that before he even noticed me, I was peaking over to him. He’s normally a bright green!

Attachments

• EA1DE9BA-53B6-4065-87B7-ACF06E91B02C.jpeg
    EA1DE9BA-53B6-4065-87B7-ACF06E91B02C.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 62
  • 56916DE1-7E42-452F-A241-101229789550.jpeg
    56916DE1-7E42-452F-A241-101229789550.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 5EEE60C4-C986-4ED0-839B-88B087CB0D5B.jpeg
    5EEE60C4-C986-4ED0-839B-88B087CB0D5B.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 62
  • B8FFFC52-066D-460B-ADCA-224832C1DD00.jpeg
    B8FFFC52-066D-460B-ADCA-224832C1DD00.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 311EF25C-9C1E-453F-96A6-C856B5562FCB.jpeg
    311EF25C-9C1E-453F-96A6-C856B5562FCB.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 9DF46F00-2493-464E-BD3E-80B39F2CE0E8.jpeg
    9DF46F00-2493-464E-BD3E-80B39F2CE0E8.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 57
I second that he just really really needs a bigger enclosure :(
I really really want to get him set up with a bigger home, it’s just hard to spend another large amount when I just spent around $500 to get him /:. It’s definitely coming soon, just don’t know how soon. I wanna make it a much better setup for him!

I really really want to get him set up with a bigger home, it’s just hard to spend another large amount when I just spent around $500 to get him /:. It’s definitely coming soon, just don’t know how soon. I wanna make it a much better setup for him!
You can get a 18x18x36 off Amazon for like $70. Its not the ideal size, but at least its meeting the absolute minimum requirements to make your cham healthy and happy while you save up to set up his permanent enclosure.

Amazing. Thank you guys so much. Any easy bioactive plants you guys recommend? I want to do it so that way he can get some better hydration from leaves. Fake ones suck big time.
You can just throw a pothos in there to help with hydration. I have mine strung up with some fishing wire so that the vines can trail down and it keeps it off the floor. Something to keep your temporary enclosure up to standards while you are working on building your large bioactive enclosure. A bioactive can take a long time to get everything set up and well established. @GoodKarma19 has been working on hers for quite some time now!

You can just throw a pothos in there to help with hydration. I have mine strung up with some fishing wire so that the vines can trail down and it keeps it off the floor. Something to keep your temporary enclosure up to standards while you are working on building your large bioactive enclosure. A bioactive can take a long time to get everything set up and well established. @GoodKarma19 has been working on hers for quite some time now!
Much love, thanks ❤️❤️

Of course! I have my juvie panther in that same enclosure up there. It wont last him or yours long, but at least it's better than the small enclosure you have him in right now :)
On a side note, any specific tips for building bond between them? I know it’s a process and I’m playing the patience game. Simply sitting by him, trying to hand feed him when I get the chance, things like that. Any other tips you might have?

On a side note, any specific tips for building bond between them? I know it’s a process and I’m playing the patience game. Simply sitting by him, trying to hand feed him when I get the chance, things like that. Any other tips you might have?
My cham is still a baby and wants nothing to do with me. @Beman has a pretty good blog post with how she bonded with her baby, and now he loves to spend time with her. Becca can you post the link to your blog for OP?

Back
Top Bottom