Pathways

animjason

I enjoy watching the paths our Chameleon takes. Discovering his favorite routes, basking spots, sleeping spots, etc. Sometimes adjusting if he outgrows a spot, and needs more clearance.

Question: if there is a spot where I know he'd like a "road" installed, should we install it or leave it as is for the exercise/problem solving? He figures out different ways to get by the gap he likes to cross.

I enjoy watching the paths our Chameleon takes. Discovering his favorite routes, basking spots, sleeping spots, etc. Sometimes adjusting if he outgrows a spot, and needs more clearance.

Question: if there is a spot where I know he'd like a "road" installed, should we install it or leave it as is for the exercise/problem solving? He figures out different ways to get by the gap he likes to cross.
Would like some pictures

I don't have close up, but here's his set up.

Attachments

• 20171108_180728.jpg
    20171108_180728.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 173
Very nice enclosure! Is this the guy you unboxed on you tube? I personally think that he has plenty of climbing places to be happy, and unless you see that he is visually stressed in his own enclosure, I would add more cover. BTW, did you make this enclosure yourself? I really love the enclosure, and I am thinking of making a DIY soon.

I have a lot of pathways in my cage as well, arranged in a pretty random fashion and less of the “donkey kong” style. It’s pretty cool how my cham seems to venture in all the various nooks and crannies.

I think yours looks fine as-is, and if you were to make a change, perhaps remove some of the lateral branches in favor of front-to-back diagonal/vertical branches.

Very nice enclosure! Is this the guy you unboxed on you tube? I personally think that he has plenty of climbing places to be happy, and unless you see that he is visually stressed in his own enclosure, I would add more cover. BTW, did you make this enclosure yourself? I really love the enclosure, and I am thinking of making a DIY soon.
Thanks, yes this is my YouTube guy. So much color now and more coming. His eyes are starting to get pinwheels too.

He isn't stressed, apart from adjusting to new home. So I'll let him continue to figure out paths and gaps. Keeps his mind occupied. He has pretty good cover in top corners under the pothos, but definitely will be providing more as all the plants grow. Pothos will be draped back to front so the drop gives a privacy curtain.

I did "make" this myself. Made = repurposed old entertainment center from Goodwill. Here is picture journal of build: http://tiny.cc/BJCage

I have a lot of pathways in my cage as well, arranged in a pretty random fashion and less of the “donkey kong” style. It’s pretty cool how my cham seems to venture in all the various nooks and crannies.

I think yours looks fine as-is, and if you were to make a change, perhaps remove some of the lateral branches in favor of front-to-back diagonal/vertical branches.
Thanks. I definitely will be adding more verticals since he loves those in previous cage. This was the starter setup before we planted all the plants. Now we are gonna fine tune it all. I agree on some additional front to backs.

If one of the purposes of having pathways is to provide good stimulus, I sometimes wonder whether or not chams like solid walls in their enclosures. My girl seems to like staring outside (cage is right next to a tall window), seems like its good stimulus - not as strong as being able to climb/hide, but seems to have some value in its own right.

If one of the purposes of having pathways is to provide good stimulus, I sometimes wonder whether or not chams like solid walls in their enclosures. My girl seems to like staring outside (cage is right next to a tall window), seems like its good stimulus - not as strong as being able to climb/hide, but seems to have some value in its own right.
Very low humidity in Colorado makes walls a necessary evil, but he enjoys coming out to explore house and outside on warm days. I should put discovery channel on next to him LOL

:)

I live in MA and it gets quite dry in the winter. Lately, I’ve been running a humidifier next to her cage with additional hand misting (aside from the Monsoon that runs every 2-4hr depending on how much I must by hand).

I’m trying to get her more used to being handled especially for when there’s nicer weather - placed her in an umbrella plant that I keep in my sun room yesterday. Though, I don’t want to overhandle either as I don’t want to be bitten! Envious of some people whose chams come racing when their cage is opened - mine does the opposite. :p

:)

I live in MA and it gets quite dry in the winter. Lately, I’ve been running a humidifier next to her cage with additional hand misting (aside from the Monsoon that runs every 2-4hr depending on how much I must by hand).

I’m trying to get her more used to being handled especially for when there’s nicer weather - placed her in an umbrella plant that I keep in my sun room yesterday. Though, I don’t want to overhandle either as I don’t want to be bitten! Envious of some people whose chams come racing when their cage is opened - mine does the opposite. :p
Misters are a lifesaver for us. I lived in MA for a winter, those are pretty brutal.

I won't say ours loves to be handled since members tend to pounce and cry that we're projecting feelings that don't exist lol. But he will come to us when he does want to explore outside the cage, and will do shoulder rides like a parrot.

That’s awesome! :)

I mainly grab her when she’s being silly and hanging upside down from the top of her cage. Rambunctious teenager!

Yup! Here are my pics.

Attachments

• 1BCEFC98-98D5-4FBD-AE38-7F4023E4E822.jpeg
    1BCEFC98-98D5-4FBD-AE38-7F4023E4E822.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 7CA7000E-CC0E-4F77-8113-E9BEB0E44E5A.jpeg
    7CA7000E-CC0E-4F77-8113-E9BEB0E44E5A.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 166
  • B590E7F0-82C0-49D4-B4A0-E0D3CA44E880.jpeg
    B590E7F0-82C0-49D4-B4A0-E0D3CA44E880.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 07DFD909-D376-4B5F-92CD-7CEB2059143C.jpeg