parsons ?

Rob G

Parsons chameleons are basically what I aspire to one day keep. So a few ?'s I have is how big do they actually get and for the people who have them how did you come about finding somewhere to get them from? Then the last question is is anybody breeding them because I know they are illegal to export from madagascar so it seems logical to breed them so that there are more of the chameleons

Parsons are so hard to breed. In order to care for a parsons there needs to be loads and loads of experience and research. There are some for sell from time to time but this is not a species to just jump into. By some I mean like an adult for sell for sell like maybe 3x's a year or less for 1k and up!

Parsons are so hard to breed. In order to care for a parsons there needs to be loads and loads of experience and research. There are some for sell from time to time but this is not a species to just jump into. By some I mean like an adult for sell for sell like maybe 3x's a year or less for 1k and up!
In today's market you're rarely going to see an adult for less than $2500! $3000 is the going rate ;)

Parsonii are awesome animals. I hope that I can someday see one in person!

I already knew the prices would be 2-3k and how extremely long it takes for the eggs to incubate. And I have a years+ caring for veileds, going to get into montanes soon. But in anywhere from5-10 or more years I would like to pursue keeping them and attempting to breed them to help preserve the species

I would by no means "jump" into caring for them. It would probably be at the very least a years worth of research and asking around about tips and ways other keepers parsons have done well with. Then there is creating the massive enclosure to house it in. So only when I feel I am prepared/ knowledgeable enough to keep them then I would start looking for one

I'm going to assume that you are a new keeper. A Parson's Chameleon is a very tough choice for a starter and takes many years to be knowledged on the species plus the experience with other species of Chameleons. For a new keeper which I am assuming that you are, I would start out with a Veiled Chameleon or a Panther and move your way up, slowly but surely. I know hardly a thing about Parson's besides they are gorgeous giants that cost a lot of money. Even 5-10 years of experience might not be enough knowledge to care for such and extreme if I may say so, chameleon. But that is my two cents. (I don't know if I worded that right, I heard someone say it earlier today.) LOL

Well you kinda are off. I've had veileds for like a year and a half and have been on the forums for 5 months+. I wanted to have my username as my name then last initial so I got rid of my other account and remade this one LOL. I am in fact planning on switching to keeping montane species like fischers or quads(hopefully cresteds eventually). But I do not in any way consider myself an expert keeper. But kudoos to steering me in the right direction for if I were a new keeper:)

Sorry if this sounds harsh but IMHO its true...a year and a half is not much experience when it comes to chameleons. When you can say that your veiled females all live to be over 6 years old and the males at least that long too....when you can keep/raise other species for extended lengths of time then IMHO you might be ready/able to keep a Parson's alive. I've had 20+ years experience and quite a few Parson's in the "good old days" and would still be hesitant to have another one now.

Of course, you could have "beginners luck" and keep one alive for a while.
Good luck!

Well I hope you find one down the road after loads of research! Deffinitely get into montane species before you get one so you have more experience about keeping species that require a lot more care other than veileds and panthers.

Plus you need a super awesome vet as they tend to be prone to mouth issues. In my limited experience, mouth problems are very difficult to deal with. It would be horrible to loose such a cool animal because you didn't have a good vet.

I believe I remember reading that the parsons in Madagascar are doing quite well.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but IMHO its true...a year and a half is not much experience when it comes to chameleons. When you can say that your veiled females all live to be over 6 years old and the males at least that long too....when you can keep/raise other species for extended lengths of time then IMHO you might be ready/able to keep a Parson's alive. I've had 20+ years experience and quite a few Parson's in the "good old days" and would still be hesitant to have another one now.

Of course, you could have "beginners luck" and keep one alive for a while.
Good luck!

Not harsh at all. And I agree with what you have to say 100% and it is pretty much the same as what I was thinking lol

hi there,

i am a relatiely a novice keeper, but as far as for keeping parsons i think you should consider these factors while also having a great vet and on hands a medical health kit..dont want your 2000 dollar cham dead in a week:eek:

SPACE
MISTING SYSTEM
PROPER TEMPS
INSECT VARIETY WITHPROPER/ECXEPTIONAL GUTLOAD
A GREAT UNDERSTANDING OF THE SEASONAL BEHAVIORS OF PARSONS, LIKE THE SLOW DOWN INTAKE OF FOOD

and i think a few more stuff as far as keeping them alive and well

BUT BREEDING IS A WHOLE OTHER STORY LOL

i do suggest working with montane species, jacksons, quads, k.multis, and cresteds are awsome and i hope to work with them somday

Parsons chameleons are basically what I aspire to one day keep. So a few ?'s I have is how big do they actually get and for the people who have them how did you come about finding somewhere to get them from? Then the last question is is anybody breeding them because I know they are illegal to export from madagascar so it seems logical to breed them so that there are more of the chameleons

1./ They do get over 60cm for the males (at least mine 2 boys are), females do get similar size, but over-all slightly smaller
2./ They need large space, but width is more important then height (but height need at least 6ft)
3./ Comparing to other chameleons, they seem not needing as much foliage (50% of the cage area is ok)
4./ It is better not to keep them out-door, instead an indoor custom made cage will be much better as you can have a better control of the temp, humidity, light intensity.
5./ In my opinion, water is the most important thing to keep parsoii
6./ Young CBs (4-12months) are relative easier to keep, but once over 2 years old, the variety of food and size of the food they need tends to become a problem (They tend to take-in large food item, instead of many small items)
7./ A large temperature fluctuation is needed daily
8./ Overall, adult males are aggressive, and they do give a painful bite.
9./ A significant temperature drop in winter is needed, this also helps to boost the growth in warmer time of the year.
10./ They digestive system is slower, tends to poop every 3-10days, feeding schedule is also a little bit different to other chameleons (feeding every 3rd-5th day)

C.parsonii are hardy chameleon, I find to keep them much more easier than many montane species. *BUT* they are definitely not for beginners. You'll need to have work with some really difficult species before you should try to keep parsons, therez just a lot of commitments with them.

*** If you have the experience in buying and keeping a WC C.montium for over 2 years without a problem, I would say it will be safe to keep a parsonii, lol***

Attached is one of my sub-adult orange-eye parsonii (photo is a bit sh*tty, coz of the IP)

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 168
Plus you need a super awesome vet as they tend to be prone to mouth issues. In my limited experience, mouth problems are very difficult to deal with. It would be horrible to loose such a cool animal because you didn't have a good vet.

I believe I remember reading that the parsons in Madagascar are doing quite well.

Until recent political problems started up again Parsons conservation was improving and on the road towards recovery/success. However without conservation and reforestation of Parsons Chameleon habitat and the allowance of slash and burn agriculture the species and its phases are still highly threatened.

Let's not forget the chances of finding any Parson's for sale that aren't supporting the black market/smuggling is zero. ;)

As the species is very difficult to reproduce in captivity (there has never been a year when more were hatched in captivity than imported), "conserving the species" is best done by leaving them in the wild.

Let's not forget the chances of finding any Parson's for sale that aren't supporting the black market/smuggling is zero. ;)

As the species is very difficult to reproduce in captivity (there has never been a year when more were hatched in captivity than imported), "conserving the species" is best done by leaving them in the wild.

I wouldn't totally agree. For example the desert tortoise in US, their numbers are declining in the wild, and it's really up to people to come up and study the animal, and have planning for breeding to keep the species goin. Just think of the past, before the government came in for the fundings, there are already a group of very passionate people who conserves this specie of tortoise. And thats the people we need.

The main reason for the declining numbers for animals and reptiles in Madagascar (actually any part of the world) are people don't give a dam* about them. Leaving the animal in the wild doesn't always solve the problem, and sometimes it even further decrease the survival rate.

We need people who is willing to dedicate into the specie and work with it. Not for their commercial value, but for the animals future. Why are parsonii so expensive in the market? Or should we say, why different species of animals have a different price tag? Is it because simply they are rarer....etc?? Why there are not so many breeders working with parsonii, is it really because their incubation is very difficult (although it is slightly), but consider how long it will take to successfully hatch one batch of eggs, comparing to ball pythons, leopard geckoes, or even vieled chameleons; the hatching time are around 60-120days, and for parsonii 220-260days....we sure can tell which species are much more profitable and "safe" investment for the breeder.

Back
Top Bottom