parsons ?

Oh my goodness! What a poor waste of time for our op rob g.! I wish that I could too one day own a parsons. I know there are breeders here on the forums. And yes they do want anywhere from $2,500 on up. There is a reliable breeder in Canada as well. I hope I helped a little on your quest. Can't believe people saw this as an opportunity to chime in and argue!

I also have experienced mouth problems with mine. I need to keep an eye on that but they seem to be doing good now. My male is also very shy. He has a grip that hurts! And will break the skin on my hands. Getting him out of his cage his harder than any chameleon I've owned.

I don't think they are difficult to keep but you have to have a good handle on your chameleon care and observation skills. They need lots of water too.

There are a number of people who have bred their Parsons in the U.S. and have eggs incubating so hopefully there will be some available in a year or two.

They really grow fast the first couple years, it's amazing to watch.

I just came across this thread, i myself tryed to ask a few questions about parsonii last oct as I was in the market for one back then and a few people gave me the if you don't no how to care for them don't own then treatment but it is very hard to learn about these simply because there isn't anything out there on them. Anyway I now own a parsonii and have since December the 8th and things are going great
They are hard to look after, my thought to be male does have a little mouth problem witch I am clearing up but mouth problems are common so I hear with parsons. Apart from that he is growing very well and is very healthy
In my opinion the best thing you can do when thinking of owning a parsonii is buying it from the right person, you want a good cb strong animal, if you do that your already on a winner, I was very lucky to get a great animal and things are going great, he's gained 30 grams in 4 months witch is very good for a slow developing chameleon

I said i wanted to own and breed parsons when i got the money together. But now that it actually came down to getting a pair i feel like its a 5,000$ gamble. It would be years before you even seen a hatchling. For that price i could own 1.3 breeding groups of 5 locales of panthers.

Sometimes it's worth the gamble. These are incredible chameleons. Yeah they are expensive. Owning a pair with intensions to breed is a long term commitment for sure and a big amount of money but to me to be able to actually hatch baby Parsons.... It doesn't get much better than that.

The time from buying a juvenile pair to seeing babies is easily 5-7 years.

Panthers are a piece of cake.

I said i wanted to own and breed parsons when i got the money together. But now that it actually came down to getting a pair i feel like its a 5,000$ gamble. It would be years before you even seen a hatchling. For that price i could own 1.3 breeding groups of 5 locales of panthers.

Sometimes it's worth the gamble. These are incredible chameleons. Yeah they are expensive. Owning a pair with intensions to breed is a long term commitment for sure and a big amount of money but to me to be able to actually hatch baby Parsons.... It doesn't get much better than that.

The time from buying a juvenile pair to seeing babies is easily 5-7 years.

Panthers are a piece of cake.

5-7 years is a big commitment. I seen some recently on kingsnake.com for 2500$ which I'm still debating on getting. The one plus side to more people owning and breeding them will eventually bring down their cost just like panthers.

I'm surprised there are still any of those Parson's available. You can get them cheaper if you buy quantities :D

Unfortunately Panther prices don't seem to be coming down. I've seen adds recently for $700 panthers :eek: Crazy!

5-7 years is a big commitment. I seen some recently on kingsnake.com for 2500$ which I'm still debating on getting. The one plus side to more people owning and breeding them will eventually bring down their cost just like panthers.

I also have experienced mouth problems with mine. I need to keep an eye on that but they seem to be doing good now. My male is also very shy. He has a grip that hurts! And will break the skin on my hands. Getting him out of his cage his harder than any chameleon I've owned.

I don't think they are difficult to keep but you have to have a good handle on your chameleon care and observation skills. They need lots of water too.

There are a number of people who have bred their Parsons in the U.S. and have eggs incubating so hopefully there will be some available in a year or two.

They really grow fast the first couple years, it's amazing to watch.

Yes that's what I mean, keeping the Cham isn't a problem, it's the monitoring of potential problems and like I said the swollen lip mine had, I got quite bad at one stage but I stuck with what I was doing and now it's clearing up nicely. It sounds stupid the the problem I had with mine made it all the better because I have now proved to my self I can care for the animal and made me believe strongly that what I'm doing is right. Also thank you as when I was after help you were one of the few that did help

:):(:'):) I think this is bite your lip and smile.

Chin up.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 148

I suspect for many of us the point of keeping them doesn't have anything to do with the time investment or getting a return. It's the species itself that's important, not their potential commercial value or whether they are going to provide a living for us. The majority of cham buyers considering available animals are not going to care too much what they cost to produce. Granted, I don't keep any animals because they are going to pay for themselves...I do it because I enjoy them, love the learning curve, get good out of caring for them, etc. But I am probably more of the typical cham buyer.

Sounds as if you should stick to those panthers if production is your primary goal. I don't think we are going to be flooded with parsoni any time soon anyway. If we were, the price would fall too.

Back
Top Bottom