Parsonii cage build

deerhunter

Avid Member
Hi guys I am building an enclosure today for parsons I am ordering from Todnedo. It is going to be built with 2x2's and screen with a pcv bottom. It is going to be 6'high and 4x4'. I am not a carpenter by trade I actually fix cars and trucks for a living so I am going for functionality over a perfect build. My question for all of you is do I clear coat the wood? Do I leave it alone? Just want the best for my Cham. Can't wait to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

I've seen similar builds where the wood is definitely treated for moisture. Aquarium safe products I believe.

I've never worked with it, but what about composite wood product? I think it's made out of PVC, it has a wood grain pattern. I've seen it in the lumber department at Menards, and thought that it would make a great cage building material.

Hi Melissab actually I saw that at menards today myself and thought about it. It is PRICY!!!! Not that a parsons is not:D! Just haven't worked with it before. And I will check into aquarium safe products thanks alexander1 and Melissab

Congrats on the future Parsons!
Ive built cages out of metal screen framing, expanded PVC and wood. Wood is easy to work with and the cost is not a huge factor when working on large cages.

Im building 2 large Parsons cages for my pair this week.

As far as wood I would paint it for sure. I would also stay away from pressure treated wood even though some people will recommend it. Pressure treated uses chemicals to treat the wood and I would not want that anywhere near my Chameleons.

Dont forget about quality drainage. Parsons take a lot of misting/dripping.

FYI I painted all of my wood and let it dry prior to the build. I can pour water on it and it beads up no problem. after making necessary cuts ill also paint the exposed areas prior to assembly.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Hi norcal I want to say it was kiln dried fir? I purchased it from menards. Agreed upon the pressure treated lumber being a very bad idea. I purchased a exo terra monsoon mister. The bottom of the cage is pvc board. I will get catch pans to collect drainage. I actually got pretty far today and must say I am pretty happy with myself! I am going to go to the river to find nice pieces of driftwood I am looking for a natural look. Thanks again!

Hi norcal I want to say it was kiln dried fir? I purchased it from menards. Agreed upon the pressure treated lumber being a very bad idea. I purchased a exo terra monsoon mister. The bottom of the cage is pvc board. I will get catch pans to collect drainage. I actually got pretty far today and must say I am pretty happy with myself! I am going to go to the river to find nice pieces of driftwood I am looking for a natural look. Thanks again!

Thats great! Cant wait to see how it turns out :)

Deer Hunter. I did 4 enclosures with wood. I have a build sheet in my profile look at post I started if you want ideas. It shows you how to do basic backgrounds, drainage, etc. You will just need to do your own measurements. As far as the wood. If you want to stain it by all means stain it with whatever color you would like. Now they have that stain with poly lacquer in it but from experience it is crap. So I did about 4-5 coats of stain lightly sanding each coat after being dried then I did about 7 coats of lacquer. Again sanding with fine sand paper to make it smooth as a babys butt. The key is letting it dry. The build portion of the project took less time then the stain and clear coats. After I was finished with the final clear coat (lacquer) I let the enclosures dry for about a week to make sure none of the chemical smell was still there. I have had my enclosures for I think about 2 years now and they look as good as the day I made them. No rotting, no pitting, just perfect. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
RobSquared

Deer Hunter. I did 4 enclosures with wood. I have a build sheet in my profile look at post I started if you want ideas. It shows you how to do basic backgrounds, drainage, etc. You will just need to do your own measurements. As far as the wood. If you want to stain it by all means stain it with whatever color you would like. Now they have that stain with poly lacquer in it but from experience it is crap. So I did about 4-5 coats of stain lightly sanding each coat after being dried then I did about 7 coats of lacquer. Again sanding with fine sand paper to make it smooth as a babys butt. The key is letting it dry. The build portion of the project took less time then the stain and clear coats. After I was finished with the final clear coat (lacquer) I let the enclosures dry for about a week to make sure none of the chemical smell was still there. I have had my enclosures for I think about 2 years now and they look as good as the day I made them. No rotting, no pitting, just perfect. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
RobSquared

Thanks rob squared! That is a lot of coats of stain and lacquer!!! Is there a brand of lacquer(clear coat) you recommend? Thanks again.

It depends on how long you need the enclosures to last and where they are located. I used untreated wood, both indoors and out and recently on my indoor parsons cage. The wood holds up for years, without any treatment, as long as it is not in contact with soil. The wood hasn't molded and dries quickly, since my most recent build, in May. I'm sure painting a sealant on would make it last longer, but I know I'll be expanding this cage, probably in the Spring and wasn't looking for a permanent fix, even so, I can't see it falling apart or rotting, even after years of use, indoors.

Perfect thanks robsquared!!! Good to here that my cage will hold upEOG!! How's your parsonii doing? Any pics?

My parsons are doing better and better, with each passing day. My male is either just finishing or just starting a shed and the female is finishing her second in about a month. Both are acclimated, eating great, and slowly getting used to people, where they don't run away, when I enter the cage and the male has hand fed a few times.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 139
Helmsman. It's called spar urethane

+1 for the spar urethane. I used 3 coats over my stain and it has held up extremely well. If you use a water based product, you will want to work with multiple very thin applications to avoid blanching of the varnish (hazing or white areas where the urethane is too thick).

Personally, I like oil based clear coats better, but they take much longer to cure and need to be ventilated.

Very nice EOG, very nice! Hi Lathis.! Spar urethane it is!!! Ordering my parsonii September 19-23 sometime in there. He is going to have a lot of room to grow into! I'm thinking of naming him Paul Jr. Since I'm Paul. Hahahahahahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom