Paralysis

chamelisa

I am working with a panther that I picked up yesterday. But this is not a typical rescue. I promised the owner that I would monitor the chameleon for a few days to see if there was something I could do.

He told me the chameleon was fine the day before he had problems.

Right now his eyes are closed unless I handle him and it is clear that his limbs are becoming paralyzed. Last night while he slept, he went from clutching the perch with both left legs (the other two hanging off the perch) to laying on the floor of the enclosure beneath the perch. He was upright, but he may have fallen from the perch while he slept. His perch is just a couple of inches from the floor of the enclosure. I don't see how I can fix the problem and I really believe a vet needs to be consulted in this case. So I need to return the chameleon so the owner can take him in.

What I wanted to know is if any of you have experienced this type of paralysis before where the chameleon is unable to grasp the perch or extend the limbs more than a short distance.

I have noticed when my daughter's chams get old they usually loose the use of there back legs and before this point they will grap their front legs with their back or vice versa.

Any news on how this guy's doing?

Poor l'il man. Maybe it was for the best though. It still amazes me how you can do what you do, Elisa. I would feel so bad if I couldn't save every single one.:(

does he have muscle tremors? imo, what he really needs is a full blood panel to determine serum calcium levels. jmo /edit sorry , missed the he died part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom