Panther is always dark

Ive had my panther cham for about 6 months now and have noticed in the past few months, after taking him outside one time, that he just stays a dark color all day until he sleeps. He is also not as active. Wondering if these are signs of just being plain angry with me for taking him out of his cage one time, or if its from his light not producing enough uvb? I have heard they need to be replaces every 6 months. Have a 12" 10.0 Reptisun UVB bulb along with a 40 watt basking light. He gets misted twice a day and humidity stays within 50 to 60 % range. If its just him being him, then i got the grumpiest cham ever as a first one

If he is dark then he is trying to absorb heat. Dark colors absorb heat better than light colors. You need to report the temp of his basking area and other details about your husbandry. He is not angry at you, you have a Panther not a Veiled :)

Basking light at 95 when putting meter on top most branch. Here are pictures to better describe his cage. Any advice would be great!! Thank you!
20180430_182400.jpg

Attachments

• 20180430_202110.jpg
    20180430_202110.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20180430_202110.jpg
    20180430_202110.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 131
I'd say 95 is way too high, does he go to that area a lot? maybe 95 is too high, so hes staying away from the hot spots and trying to compensate by turning dark? when you said "outside" you mean like outdoors with sunlight? maybe he really liked it and wants more natural sun?

I don't have much experience with panthers but my panther stayed darker as a juvenile. He is still young but while he is in his cage he just does not seam to colorful. When he comes out he really shows off changing blues and reds. I only feed them on a perch and never feed inside the cage. I think its like he gets excited to be out. Unless the cat is around and he gets really dark, almost black. I think that is a sign of stress. I could be wrong on all of this but that's my thoughts. Maybee there is a temp that is off or something else stressing it out.

Back
Top Bottom