panther in a plant room?

mfilla

Hi I was just wondering what people's opinions were on putting my panter in my plant room. I have a small room where I grow orchids and a few other tropical plants and I was thinking of putting my ambilobe in there. The temps/humidity are fine for him but my concern was the lighting. I have HPS and MH lamps (400 watts each) which are super brite and didn't know if this would be a problem. I was wondering if anyone has had these types of lamps with chameleons and if it has caused any eye problems, I know about the CFL problems. and hae experienced them first hand before I knew any better. Sorry about the long post, Thanks for any input, Matt

im pretty sure those MH bulbs are bad for him. im pretty sure they emit large amounts of UV-C which is really bad for most living things. so i would ask more experienced members. use the search button. there was a discussion about MH bulbs a while back.

There was a lengthy discussion about mainly MH lamps not too long ago. There are a couple of links that has some really good info. If my memory serves me right there was no clear decision really. I remember that someone used a lower wattage MH high in their herp room without problems thus far. If you used the LED grow lights and set up heat and UVB basking spots it'd most likely work and be really cool. Of course those LED fixtures aren't cheap but you never have to change a lamp:D! HID grow lights are really bright, and personally I'd err on the side of caution.

The problem with the HID lor LED lights is that the spectrum that they put out isn't correct for the plants, that's the purpose of the MH lamp and the HPS lamp. I'll have to do a UVC search, I've never heard of it before.

Back
Top Bottom