Panther Fell

Chameleon Creator

Hey all just wanted some input on something that has been worrying me, I have the typical 4x2x2 cage and my Panther Cham was hanging upside down on the top and fell all the way to the bottom last night.. Should I be worried?

I would keep an eye out on him to make sure nothing is broken. If he appears lethargic or has broken limbs, consider a vet visit.

Is it acting any differently? Even if there aren't any visible broken bones there could still be some swelling/bruising to it's soft tissues. If it appears ok, then I'd just give it lots of privacy to reduce stress as much as possible.

Not to start an argument or offend anyone, but this is one reason why I've always used a natural substrate with any animals I've kept.

Is it acting any differently? Even if there aren't any visible broken bones there could still be some swelling/bruising to it's soft tissues. If it appears ok, then I'd just give it lots of privacy to reduce stress as much as possible.

Not to start an argument or offend anyone, but this is one reason why I've always used a natural substrate with any animals I've kept.

"natural" and man made substrates are equally as bad. they can both be swallowed and both harbor bacteria and places for nasty bugs to hide.

BUT there is the ONE PRO, and that is when the cham falls.

He seems to be okay, climbing around, drinking, eating.. After he fell he climb up the tree and slept on a different branch than normal

"natural" and man made substrates are equally as bad. they can both be swallowed and both harbor bacteria and places for nasty bugs to hide.

BUT there is the ONE PRO, and that is when the cham falls.

I don't know what nasty bugs you're referring to. I wouldn't put a wc animal on a natural substrate without first passing a clean fecal exam.

I guess I should clear up that by natural, I do not mean digging up soil from outside, but something like ABG mix. I then seed with springtails and isopods which eat any feces. I first put down a drainage layer of hydroton or Growstone, then a fabric barrier to keep the upper layer from falling into the drainage layer, and finally the ABG mix. This substrate will also increase humidity.

Okay so he has only eaten once since he fell, which was the day after he fell, which happened the night prior. It's been a couple days and he has not eaten since and he is looking dehydrated.

Chams are built to take falls, in fact, they use falling as a defence, I call it,
the 'suicide drop'! :eek:
When they feel a threat, they simply fall from where ever they are to escape.

All of my guyz have fallen several times w/o and injury.
But falling on a really hard surface, from more then a few feet, would concern
me.
If you have a Reptibreeze type cage, they have a somewhat thin and flexible
plastic floor that 'gives' a little if they fall on it.
Even my big guy, Smeagol, falls sometimes and I can hear the 'thud' clear
in another room.
He is never hurt though, just has a "surprised" look on his face as he lays
there on the floor, all 4 legs spread out!!
It takes them a few seconds to get their bearings and get up.

He has sunken eyes for sure. I haven't seem him drink in the past three days or eat any of his food. I have Dubia and wax worms to offer

Back
Top Bottom