panther cham right eye closed ??

kathy117

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?- panther noseybe, 10 months old had it for 9 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?-once a week, hardly even that
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -2-3 crickets 4 mealworms feed about 11am and maybe 2 mealworms afternoon. gutload crickets with flukers high calcium oatmeal and flukers cricket quencher
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?flukers calcium with vitamin d3 every 2 days
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?mist cage 3 times a day, yes i do see him drink
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?brown with white and no never been tested
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.no info that should be helpful

Cage Info:.
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage 18x18x20 i believe
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?basking light-exoterra 50watt daylight basking spot..... uvb bulb-repti glo 5.0 13watt
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?80-85 top basking spot.. 70 towards bottom have a thermometer in cage
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? honestly dont ever measure it
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?no live plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?in bedroom no fans or vents or high traffic
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?sitting on a dresser not that high up, up to waist im 5'5
Location - Where are you geographically located? located in new jersey

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. recently my cham has his right eye shut not always but most of the time, this isnt usual. have been putting reg refresh tears eyedrops seems alittle better everyday but not much, he eats and is drinking and poop looks good. i understand it may be a piece of debree or vitatmin a deficiency.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?- panther noseybe, 10 months old had it for 9 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?-once a week, hardly even that
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -2-3 crickets 4 mealworms feed about 11am and maybe 2 mealworms afternoon. gutload crickets with flukers high calcium oatmeal and flukers cricket quencher
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?flukers calcium with vitamin d3 every 2 daysI would recommend you starting the use of a multivtamin. A product like reptivite or calcium plus would be a great start. Either product should be used once every other week. The lack of Vit A in a panthers diet tend to close one eye. To help get this guys levels back on track. I would buy Cod liver oil capsule. You can buy these at just about any health food section of a grocery store or and health nutrition place. Lightly smear the oil on the back of one feeder and see how he does. If he is not showing improvements by the following day. Dose again the same way. If he doesnt show improvements by the third time of doing this. I would look for another cause. You are also using too much D3. To much D3 in the system can cause illness. It is really hard on the kidneys and should be used with caution. Depending on your lights and the amount of dust. D3 should be used approximately every other week.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?mist cage 3 times a day, yes i do see him drink Do you spray the chameleon so he can clean his eyes and how long do you spray each time?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?brown with white and no never been tested White urates are a good sign.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.no info that should be helpful

Cage Info:.
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage 18x18x20 i believe I would recommend getting a larger cage for your kid soon. Something 2x2x4 is recomended here.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?basking light-exoterra 50watt daylight basking spot..... uvb bulb-repti glo 5.0 13watt How old is your uvb bulb? If it is over 6 months switch to a linear tube style bulb. You can span it over the width of the cage better offering more area within the cage for the chameleon to absorb UVB.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?80-85 top basking spot.. 70 towards bottom have a thermometer in cage Try to keep his basking temp between 85-90* once you get him in a new cage.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? honestly dont ever measure it Humidity is important with these guys. Breathing, eyes, moisture kept within the body, skin condition, etc are major roles of keeping good humidity.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?no live plants Im a huge fan of live. It serves so many purposes its a shame not to use them with your chameleon.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?in bedroom no fans or vents or high traffic
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?sitting on a dresser not that high up, up to waist im 5'5
Location - Where are you geographically located? located in new jersey

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. recently my cham has his right eye shut not always but most of the time, this isnt usual. have been putting reg refresh tears eyedrops seems alittle better everyday but not much, he eats and is drinking and poop looks good. i understand it may be a piece of debree or vitatmin a deficiency.

Hi, welcome to the forums. If your chameleon were mine. I would start with Vit A treatments. Directions in purple in the quote.

I will deff look into the multivitamin. Is there anything i should use in place of the d3 like a calcium that isnt so intense or just these two every other week? As for the uvb its brand new bought it a couple days ago. When i mist he tends to get caught in it and i do believe he cleans his eyes. Also the cod liver capsules is something i will purchase asap! Will this have enough vitamin a to put him back on track? Since it is a screen cage im bot sure how to get the temperature higher to make the humidity higher any tips?

Everything else allready said and also try to mist frequently directly at his face and eyes gently with non clorinated luke warm water as it helps with eye health

I will deff look into the multivitamin. Is there anything i should use in place of the d3 like a calcium that isnt so intense or just these two every other week? As for the uvb its brand new bought it a couple days ago. When i mist he tends to get caught in it and i do believe he cleans his eyes. Also the cod liver capsules is something i will purchase asap! Will this have enough vitamin a to put him back on track? Since it is a screen cage im bot sure how to get the temperature higher to make the humidity higher any tips?

Im glad you brought that to my attention. You want to use plain phosphorus free calcium at most or all feedings.

Cod liver oil has very high levels of vit A in it. You must be careful with it.

Temp higher can be acheieved with a higher wattage bulb. For now in the cage he is in. I would just leave it be till you get a new bigger cage.

We truly dont know what your humidity is at but generally a live plant and the use of a room humidifier will help.

Last edited:
Ohh ok i didnt know phosphorus was ok because i read somewhere that it wasnt healthy. Soo a calcium with phosphorus but no d3 would be ok for everyday use?

today i went out and bought the cod liver pills and smeared some on about 3 mealworms because at the moment thts something i know he will defintely eat if i put it in front of him. he ate them all.. lets see how this works out :)

soo i've been putting cod liver oil on his meal worms and when i first look in his cage in the mornings his eye looks fine and open but as the afternoon comes around he shuts it occasionally. today for the first time i put it on a cricket and he ate it. at this point i don't know what else to do. when his eye is open it looks fine and looks exactly like the other eye so i don't think its an infection or anything. if its something in his eye ive been putting drops and have been showering him with warm water so that he could flush it out. any other advice ?

Some other advice

Don't overdo it with cod liver oil.
Vitamin A, while needed for chams' health can be toxic to the liver and kidneys if too much is given.
Ataraxia's instructions included
"Lightly smear the oil on the back of one feeder and see how he does. If he is not showing improvements by the following day. Dose again the same way. If he doesnt show improvements by the third time of doing this. I would look for another cause."
If his eye is still irritated, despite 10 days of home treatments, then your vest bet would be to have a vet with cham or at the very least a reasonable amount of experience with various reptiles.

One thing I noticed is that your cham's cage is on the floor. This is very stressful for chameleons whose natural preference is to be safely above the ground in trees and taller bushes.
Putting the cage atop a small table, crate or something to get your cham elevated above eye level will benefit him by lowering his stress level.
Just as stress can make people much more susceptible to illness, chams under stress can become ill more easily.

Hope this helps you.

No my chams cage is on the dresser. I went to the vet with him she prescribed him tybromicin or something of that sort. Ive been doing it for bout 4 days but he still closes his eye. Im supposed to give it to him 3 times a day

Glad to know that the cage isn't on the floor and that you took him to the vet.
You probably were given terramycin or tobramycin which is often effective against eye infections.

He had the infection for a week or two before starting medication, so you can expect the eye to be irritated still.
If you give the meds as directed and he's still not improving after another week or so--sooner if he is getting worse-- then the vet may need to change medications.

Hope he is healed soon!

Yess tobrymicin thats it. He had the infection for about a week before i took him i just hope this works =]

How long are you spraying him and the cage three times a day?

Do you have any pics of the set up and chameleon?

Hello kathy117,

What is the status of your chameleon now.

I have had similar issues. I was told it was either: To much or to little vit A, A piece of shed skin/cage material irritating his eyes or the light bulbs I used were either to close to him and or to powerful.

I ended up taking my guy to our vet. They checked his eyes/mouth and stool. medically he seemed fine.

What worked for me was a larger enclosure. This allowed me to place the lights further away.

I hope in your case it is as easy a fix as that diagnosing chameleons is no easy task.

Back
Top Bottom