Panther cham not eating

Sorry to say but you probably can't help him anymore :(

Not necessarily. It could be possible to make him more comfortable, and at this point in the thread his problems weren't known. I've seen chams who looked a lot worse than this recover to live for years. Don't need to give up until there's more of a clear diagnosis. Some knowledgeable vets can do great things.

His colours do seem to be a lot better and his eyes are a little less sunken ... That shows progress doesn't it?

Sure, most living organisms can develop a cancer with very very few exceptions. Animals that live to older ages are more prone to it (if you think about cancer as a cellular misprint or error. The templates for cell division get old and worn). Most cham species don't live to this age in the wild. In captivity more are living past what might be a "natural" age and we may see more cancers.

really? so what's a "natural" age? this is fascinating to learn. And is there a way of knowing in "chameleon years" how old they really are, you know, like in dogs...they have dog years in comparison to human years?

I am sorry to hear that the vet visit was not good. I have had dogs and cats both die of cancer. I have seen other chams on here with it. Dave Weldon lost one to cancer not long ago. Keep him hydrated and eating and happy for as long as you can. I'll be thinking of you and Pisacco.

thanks for your support..the thing is, he has been eating and drinking and yet still losing weight, so that is how the vet knows for sure their is an internal problem. i guess when it's cancer in an animal this fragile, there is no hope...but for now I have his stocking hung and hopefully he makes it through Christmas
I too have lost dogs to cancer...it's soooooo sad losing a pet to anything, especially one that I have raised sooo young (only 4 weeks old). It is true, though, he is living a much longer life in captivity than in the wild.

His colours do seem to be a lot better and his eyes are a little less sunken ... That shows progress doesn't it?

i sure hope so...that pic was taken just after i brought him back from the vet (they made him black from the blood test, but when he came home, his colour came back)....the vet wants me to bring him back tom. morning for one more injection...should i get them to do an xray or anything else?

he is still pretty weak. his grip is not that strong and that black marking on his mouth is what is scaring me....i am trying to keep hope but i know how fragile these creatures are and i don't know how much he can take/fight. i also don't know if it for sure is cancer and how far along it is. If in the morning he does not drink water willingly, should i force it?

I bet he will be ok. just keep hope.

idk much about force feeding so i hope someone will answer better than i can

thanks for all the support everyone. He's sleeping on his brach still. He moved off a bit but still hanging on...i don't like his colour and his mouth is pretty dark..it has never been that colour when he sleeps...i hope he will pull through...i am keeping it warm and humid and i did the shower thing this morning, so when he wakes tomorrow i will do that again...don't know what else to do but hope he fights

so here he is this morning...

he is lower in his cage now and i think he excreted something small and brown. Do I bring him to the vet for another shot of vitamins/rehydration?
is he too far along? I don't know what to do, I feel so helpless with him looking up at me...can he pull through?

Attachments

• pic_dec23.jpg
    pic_dec23.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 87
Personally, I would take him to the vet for the shot.....as others have said there's a chance he could turn around. Either way you will feel better knowing that you did all you can for him. The shot might make him feel better but you'll never know if you don't try. What did the bloodwork show?

Personally, I would take him to the vet for the shot.....as others have said there's a chance he could turn around. Either way you will feel better knowing that you did all you can for him. The shot might make him feel better but you'll never know if you don't try. What did the bloodwork show?

that's true...i think i will, or else i will never forgive myself.
i am waiting for the bloodwork results..the doctor is in at 9am. but what a fighter! he is looking at me and holding my finger with his little hand (paw?) and i can tell he wants to move and walk out towards me...i read that chams can recognize their keeper

Do you think I did everything necessary? I mean, what else can possibly be done if a chameleon gets a problem like cancer or something internal and it goes undetected until it's very late?
I keep wondering what I could have done differently but for him to live 4 years, I don't think I was a bad guardian...maybe I'm being hard on myself...I wish they can just tell us when they feel ill. Wouldn't that be nice

your being hard on yourself....you probrably counldnt have done anything....it was just luck of the draw that somthing internaly happend. if he does pass, then you can have another baby and give it a fantastic life like you did to him.....this is an amazing hobby...and is so rewarding. they truley are living art.

your being hard on yourself....you probrably counldnt have done anything....it was just luck of the draw that somthing internaly happend. if he does pass, then you can have another baby and give it a fantastic life like you did to him.....this is an amazing hobby...and is so rewarding. they truley are living art.

yes i totally agree...they add so much colour in our lives...literally and metaphorically! :)

Well...i'm soo confused...this morning he looked terrible and now that i got back from the vet, his colour picked up again and although he's still weak, he's hanging onto his branch and actually drinking water from the spray bottle! But his eyes are still pretty sunken in and that darkness around his mouth worries me.
here are his updated pics...

Attachments

• picasso_dec23_01.jpg
    picasso_dec23_01.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 105
  • picasso_dec23_02.jpg
    picasso_dec23_02.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 136
im so sorry....he does look very sick ....i have to be very blank. you will get through this i can assure you that.:) just keep a chin up

im so sorry....he does look very sick ....i have to be very blank. you will get through this i can assure you that.:) just keep a chin up

thanks so much for all the support...i will keep you guys posted...right now he's still on his favourite branch and he seems to be more alert when i'm coaxing him to drink etc... he is closing his eyes on and off but he's drinking again. i hope he's not in too much pain.

really? so what's a "natural" age? this is fascinating to learn. And is there a way of knowing in "chameleon years" how old they really are, you know, like in dogs...they have dog years in comparison to human years?

From what I've read, most male panther chams don't live much past 2 years, but it could of course vary. I don't think we know all that much about aging in any species of cham. Many animals kept in captivity as pets live longer lives than they might in the wild simply because they have regular food even when they start to slow down with age and they are not at risk from predators or accidents.

On the flip side they are exposed to household chemicals and bacteria they have less genetic resistance to (outside their natural range), social stress, have less varied nutritional diets, less than perfect light and climate, and probably some overdoses of some nutrients a more varied wild diet would balance out better.

From what I've read, most male panther chams don't live much past 2 years, but it could of course vary. I don't think we know all that much about aging in any species of cham. Many animals kept in captivity as pets live longer lives than they might in the wild simply because they have regular food even when they start to slow down with age and they are not at risk from predators or accidents.

On the flip side they are exposed to household chemicals and bacteria they have less genetic resistance to (outside their natural range), social stress, have less varied nutritional diets, less than perfect light and climate, and probably some overdoses of some nutrients a more varied wild diet would balance out better.

that is very true! I read that chams are about 17 yrs. old for every 1 human year...if this is true, Picasso is about 68 years old. So, if most die around 2 or 3 years old, then they are about 34 to 51 years old...if that's the case, at least Picasso is a senior citizen!!!

Right now he is still on his branch, fairly light blue but his eyes are still the same and he's still drinking a bit...i am using a needless syringe to drip it in his mouth

this story is breaking my heart. please give us the news when or if he passes. i feel for you i really do i cant amagin how i will feel when yogg dies.

he's still on his branch...i am trying to keep him hydrated but his eyes are still open and closed
here's how he looks now...it's lights out soon, so he will be sleeping soon

Attachments

• picasso_dec23_03.jpg
    picasso_dec23_03.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom