Panther Cham. eating twigs?!?!?

Athena333

When I first got my Panther Chameleon he was only 3 weeks old, hes now about 10 weeks. My husband and I bought a 4 foot tall ficus that we use as his "play pen" when we are home, he loves to practice his camouflage colors. Our house has a moderate/high humidity and the temp is in the 80-85 range. Our Chameleon (Key-lon) happily sits on the top branches of his ficus and hunts house fly's and fruit fly's. I just noticed the other day that the ficus started dropping a patch of leaves suddenly (I know...not uncommon for a ficus) but when I looked closer.. I noticed Key-lon breaking off little pieces of the dead branches and eating them?! I thought it could be because hes hungry but when I tried feeding him he wasn't interested. I feed him out of a cup every morning, about 10-12 crickets before I put him on the ficus and mist the ficus so that he can get his water, and later in the evening I feed him again in his cage to let him practice hunting.

SO! is this branch eating phenomena a natural thing? is it harmful? if it is how do I get him to stop? I haven't allowed him time on the ficus since I noticed this behavior.

So funny you posted this! I asked the same question last night when I caught my 8 month panther chewing off pieces of branches from his hibiscus..I'm curious what other members have to say.

Probably more than not, do this. There isn't a proven scientific reason yet. However, between the ages of 4-12 months old, most seem to do this. Make sure he can't chew anything toxic or that could break off and be swallowed. It is going to happen for a while. One of mine chewed so loud, I moved him to a different room, so I could hear the tv. Was aggravating.

Many times my chams will chew on their branches and vines. This is most likely a sign of them not getting all the vitamins and nutrients their body is natural needing. I would make sure you are gut loading properly and using a liquid vitamin supplement every now and then.

babies put everything in their mouths, so do chameleons.

Yes mine started doing this once before a shed but had continued since at the same time he also started eating dirt, digging, twigs, a small snail, chewing on branches and the cork in his tank?? His morning consists of waking up warming up having a drink wonders down to the bottom has a dig about then chews eveything on his way back up baskes a bit more has a small bit to eat then a poo....? Could it be a territory thing? Like cats weeing on trees chams chew on them? Lol he somtimes eats the things he chews on but they just come out the other end :S and no he not hungry theres nearly always somthing roaming about his cage lol love there funny little personality

Thank You

He isn't just chewing the twigs, he brakes off chunks and swallows them. I gut load the crickets my self and they pop when he eats them because they are so full of goodness. he gets calcium twice a week, and multi vitamins twice or three times a month. I also sprinkle the crickets food with calcium and multi vitamins too.

I feed my crickets everything. Pineapple, zucchini, yam, mustard greens, mango, collard greens, dandelion leafs, watermelon, pumpkin, you name it..

I have not seen mine eat branches but mine love eating leaves. Some say its due to hydration. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom