Panther Cham blind in 1 eye..

cquest

Trip will be 1 yr this month. He was born with a vit A def. He keeps that eye closed most of the time. If i don't get him out of his enclosure he will sleep all day i realize thats bad. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or maybe experience ? I'm worried this is also happening to his good eye. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Born with a vitamin a deficiency? I don't think that's a"thing ". If he's sleeping all day, he is probably ill. I recommend you take him to a vet.

Can you fill out the How to Ask for Help form? It sounds like you were given some bum information on your little guy.

It was actually the vet that had given me this info. He is a very reputable exotic reptile vet. Yes i will fill out that form thank you for your reply.

Born with a vitamin a deficiency? I don't think that's a"thing ". If he's sleeping all day, he is probably ill. I recommend you take him to a vet.

Can you fill out the How to Ask for Help form? It sounds like you were given some bum information on your little guy.

When you say fill out the How To Ask For Help Form do you mean answer those questions or is there an actual form? I haven't been on here since the new updates. Which are quite nice by the way!!

Just the questions, it's not an official "form ".

So he's been to a vet. Did the vet consider whether this could be an infection in the sinuses or something like that? Those will affect the eyes, and general illness usually has an early symptom of daytime sleeping.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this "born with Vitamin a deficiency " idea. There's a lot of strange information on the web and that people repeat about vitamin a and chameleons that I'm not sure has scientific backup. I'm certainly not a vet, but it seems a strange statement especially to make for a 1 year old panther.

I know this isn't quite the same thing, but I have a female Panther that had an eye injury at 2 months old.
That eye sunk in and has never opened or been functional since. The other eye works perfectly. After she recovered from the injury (2 months) she has eaten, grown, bred and produced viable eggs just as any normal, healthy female would- for 2 years now.
What I'm saying is being blind in one eye isn't causing your chameleon to be sick. If this was just a vitamin A deficiency it seems there would be a fairly simple remedy. You need to find out the root cause. What did the vet prescribe? I wonder how he diagnosed congenital vitamin A deficiency?

If he had a vit A deficiency it should be able to be treated. But I've never heard about being born with a vit A deficiency. Vit A problems come from lack of care and supplementation. Plus sleeping during the day is not normal at all, so it should be a huge sign something is seriously wrong rather than a sign of something he's had since birth.

So he's been to a vet. Did the vet consider whether this could be an infection in the sinuses or something like that? Those will affect the eyes, and general illness usually has an early symptom of daytime sleeping.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this "born with Vitamin a deficiency " idea. There's a lot of strange information on the web and that people repeat about vitamin a and chameleons that I'm not sure has scientific backup. I'm certainly not a vet, but it seems a strange statement especially to make for a 1 year old panther.

Yes the Vet tested for infections , parasites & feces test but found nothing. So he flushed the eyes & sinus cavity. He give me antibiotic eye drops for him thinking it may help. The Vet said he was very healthy

Yes the Vet tested for infections , parasites & feces test but found nothing. So he flushed the eyes & sinus cavity. He give me antibiotic eye drops for him thinking it may help. The Vet said he was very healthy I'm thinking i need to locate another exotic reptile vet. He was highly reputable but my little guys are very important to me whatever i can do to help them i will.

Back
Top Bottom