Overweight Cham? Plz help!!

Irwinthecham

I’ve been looking at the forums for a little while now, but never posted. This forum has helped me so much in caring for my veiled chameleon Irwin. I’m not sure how old he is, he’s about 3/4months (my guess). I’ve had him for maybe a month now and I’m not sure if he’s overweight.

No hate please but I got him without doing much research. I did as much as I could in a span of 3 days, but I got him from someone who didn’t know how to, and didn’t have the time to care for him. I knew with a little research and time I could provide a better home for him, which I believe I am doing, but I would like to learn more to continue to improve his care as well.

To my main point. Considering I don’t know his age, and this is my first Cham, I’m not sure if he’s overweight, or even underweight. But he does seem a bit chubby. I don’t know if I’m feeding him too much or too little, but I usually give him crickets, about 10-15 a day in 2 sittings. People say to feed them till they are full but the way he eats he would just keep eating and eating if I let him. I dust calcium powder about 4 times a week. I’ve heard MBD is very common, so maybe in these pictures oh guys can make sure he doesn’t have it?

I could be overreacting but I just want to make sure he’s okay. I just don’t wanna over/underfeed him. Any tips and help on portioning would be great as well :)

I know he needs more than crickets, I have Dubias coming in the mail, and plan to start a colony as well. I’m not sure if there are any other good feeders that are fairly cheap I could get for him.

I’m sorry I have so many questions on 1 thread but I don’t know how big the dubia colony will get and considering I’m only feeding 1 Cham is it a bad idea? I don’t know what to do if the colony overpopulates. And how to limit that.

Okay anyways... my main question really is, based off these pictures, is he an overall healthy Cham?

Excuse the small glass cage, that’s what he came in :(. I have a large dragon strand cage ordered. Not sure when it will arrive.

Attachments

• 6DC44494-5531-4CD7-B53F-BA7D337AC734.jpeg
    6DC44494-5531-4CD7-B53F-BA7D337AC734.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 7CA97D39-EFD4-4662-BE1E-C02A2911B25F.jpeg
    7CA97D39-EFD4-4662-BE1E-C02A2911B25F.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 151
  • FC768CE4-45C7-44DD-9640-2F5D874F873D.jpeg
    FC768CE4-45C7-44DD-9640-2F5D874F873D.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 910BF4FC-AB83-4C6B-BFC4-7BE9E8E29D13.jpeg
    910BF4FC-AB83-4C6B-BFC4-7BE9E8E29D13.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 119
Please please please look up threads on how your enclosure should look! Your cham needs an updated living space ASAP!! Good job getting the new enclosure, but you have to add lots of more foliage and branches, etc!

Please please please look up threads on how your enclosure should look! Your cham needs an updated living space ASAP!! Good job getting the new enclosure, but you have to add lots of more foliage and branches, etc!
Ik Ik! I have many things coming in the mail, it’s just a matter of time that is limiting me. As of right now this is the best I can do for him. New things coming as soon as I can

Here is my old setup for my female.

Attachments

• B7DAEB7D-5231-4870-B355-39AD0B3288EA.jpeg
    B7DAEB7D-5231-4870-B355-39AD0B3288EA.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 0FB6D777-AAE2-424D-9FE4-FF6386BC1818.jpeg
    0FB6D777-AAE2-424D-9FE4-FF6386BC1818.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 1EAE166C-C88B-460A-9A39-1DB3A15F140F.jpeg
    1EAE166C-C88B-460A-9A39-1DB3A15F140F.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 103
Your going to need to read this and read it again! Females lay eggs mates or not, they are like chickens, they need there husbandry to be on point, it could be life or death

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/
She has dug away some of the dirt in the corner of her cage, maybe considering laying them there? But I had no idea she’s even a girl, nor did I know thy couldn’t see me when they did that. Does she seem overweight? Is she egg bound? I have no exotic vet even remotely near me. I’m not sure what to do

If you ordered a dragon strand your going to be waiting some time. You might want to get another cage. Also what are your lights? I need you to fill out the help forum b4 we go forward

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Not showing typical gravid patterns but she is gravid, not fat.

If she’s digging in the corner your too late for husbandry fixes. The only thing you need to be doing right now is finding a suitable laybin, trash bin is fine, and fill it with 8” of moist play sand. Not wet, moist. Slowly add water and stir until it’s like beach sand and holds a tunnel. Put her in it and place the bin somewhere where she can’t be disturbed and leave her alone. Check on her once an hour or so.

The husbandry fixes are important but irrelevant if you don’t get those eggs out of her.

If you ordered a dragon strand your going to be waiting some time. You might want to get another cage. Also what are your lights? I need you to fill out the help forum b4 we go forward

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Veiled, female. About 4/5 months old. I’ve had her about a month.
I try to limit handling, probably held her 4 times since I’ve had her.
Previous owner only fed her mealworms. I not feed her about 10-15 crickets a day. Getting other feeders soon. Feed her twice a day. I gutload with carrots and collard greens. They also get flukers calcium fortified water gel.
Reptivitamin with D3 and calcium. Dust calcium 4 times a week. And vitamins once a month.
Has not been tested for parasites. Feces are solid but not too dry. Urate was partially yellow for a while so I fed her some hornworms.
I most her cage 2/3 times a day, and she has a Little Dripper system.
Her history is not too bright. She did not have a basking light when I got her, and the owner was scared her uvb would start a fire, so she rarely had it on. Her diet was strictly mealworms, I’m not sure how many.

If you guys can help me as best you can I would be so appreciative. I just want her to have the best home she can possibly have. Even if I’m not the one able to provide it for her.

I
When did you order it, what size is it, and when will it arrive?
ordered it a little over a week ago. It took a little for me to get the money, but money should no longer be a problem with the rest of her care. It’s a page keeper dragon strand. I think the dimensions are 38inx38inx4ft. With dragon strand, I have no idea when it will arrive

Not showing typical gravid patterns but she is gravid, not fat.

If she’s digging in the corner your too late for husbandry fixes. The only thing you need to be doing right now is finding a suitable laybin, trash bin is fine, and fill it with 8” of moist play sand. Not wet, moist. Slowly add water and stir until it’s like beach sand and holds a tunnel. Put her in it and place the bin somewhere where she can’t be disturbed and leave her alone. Check on her once an hour or so.

The husbandry fixes are important but irrelevant if you don’t get those eggs out of her.
Okay. I’m not sure where to get playsand. Will the coconut fiber dirt work until I get her that sand?

Back
Top Bottom