Outside Time

The weather in my area (Cleveland, Ohio) is getting to the point where I can take Dexter outside. So far I've only done it for about 15-20 minutes at a time. He kind of just basks on my arm while I stand there. I thought I'd try to get him used to it. My question is, how do I keep him out for longer periods of time. Should I make some kind of free range area that I ALWAYS keep an eye on him on and hand mist him? Or do I make some kind of enclosure I can leave him alone in to bask in his element? If this is it, pics please if you can. What do you guys do? I've looked it up on here but I feel I have been unsiccessful in finding pertinent info. Let me know! This would not be permanent, just a few hours a day. Thanks!!!

I'm in a similar climate as you(western PA). My cham is kept outside all summer now, but I've had all sorts of set ups outside over the past few years. It's hard to say for certain what you should do, it all depends on your situation. If you can set up an enclosure out there, sure that would be great. Before I had one, I just set up some plants and I'd hang out next to them.

If they're in a cage with access to shade and safety from predators, sure leave them out there for the day.

I'm in a similar climate as you(western PA). My cham is kept outside all summer now, but I've had all sorts of set ups outside over the past few years. It's hard to say for certain what you should do, it all depends on your situation. If you can set up an enclosure out there, sure that would be great. Before I had one, I just set up some plants and I'd hang out next to them.

If they're in a cage with access to shade and safety from predators, sure leave them out there for the day.

Also, as you know, our weather turns on a dime. Do you just keep an eye on it and bring him in if need be?

I highly suggest ficus 'alli' and schefflera amate. You can usually find some nice large ones and they have sturdy branches. All my chams have loved them. Of course there are other good ones, some larger, but those tend to be the perfect size for most situations IME.

As for weather, I have a montane that is accustomed to a wide range of temperatures. I don't have him out yet, but he probably could be. Handles temps as low as the 40s(although I like to bring him in when they stay that low for more than a couple days) and as high as the 90s. I offer a lot of shady areas with plenty of water. He stays out through storms and everything, spring to fall. Back when I had my Panthers I only kept them out during the day, but they'd be fine in the summers, just wouldn't want them in the cold spring/fall temps for prolonged periods.

I highly suggest ficus 'alli' and schefflera amate. You can usually find some nice large ones and they have sturdy branches. All my chams have loved them. Of course there are other good ones, some larger, but those tend to be the perfect size for most situations IME.

As for weather, I have a montane that is accustomed to a wide range of temperatures. I don't have him out yet, but he probably could be. Handles temps as low as the 40s(although I like to bring him in when they stay that low for more than a couple days) and as high as the 90s. I offer a lot of shady areas with plenty of water. He stays out through storms and everything, spring to fall. Back when I had my Panthers I only kept them out during the day, but they'd be fine in the summers, just wouldn't want them in the cold spring/fall temps for prolonged periods.
Thank you so much! This info is so helpful. Lucky cham you have there. Sounds like he’s living the good life!

I just started introducing mine to outside. I'm in NC so weather is similar. I keep a small potted tree beside his cage he walks out onto. I pick it up and sit it outside and I just sit beside it. I've been doing it daily at the same time. Now I've noticed him staying on his tree most the day cause he wants out.

I just started introducing mine to outside. I'm in NC so weather is similar. I keep a small potted tree beside his cage he walks out onto. I pick it up and sit it outside and I just sit beside it. I've been doing it daily at the same time. Now I've noticed him staying on his tree most the day cause he wants out.
He does walk out onto my hand, so that’s lucky. Actually, it’s getting kind of annoying because he tries to get on my hand almost every time I open the door. I promise my husbandry is good and I just had him to the vet. What kind of tree do you have that he likes?

He does walk out onto my hand, so that’s lucky. Actually, it’s getting kind of annoying because he tries to get on my hand almost every time I open the door. I promise my husbandry is good and I just had him to the vet. What kind of tree do you have that he likes?
I wish mine wasn't so scared where he would do that lol it's been a long process. I leave his cage open with a tree in front of it all day. I believe it's a rubber tree that I have. Bought it locally

Attachments

• 20200402_125908.jpg
    20200402_125908.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 78
I wish mine wasn't so scared where he would do that lol it's been a long process. I leave his cage open with a tree in front of it all day. I believe it's a rubber tree that I have. Bought it locally
He just started doing it about 3 weeks ago out of nowhere. He’s about 10-11 months old, so I’m sure his attitude will change again. I’m hoping if I can get him outside he’ll just relate it to that and not stop. It’s funny, he hisses at me until I open the door, and then hisses while he’s walking onto my hand. Such mixed signals out of these guys!! Lol

He just started doing it about 3 weeks ago out of nowhere. He’s about 10-11 months old, so I’m sure his attitude will change again. I’m hoping if I can get him outside he’ll just relate it to that and not stop. It’s funny, he hisses at me until I open the door, and then hisses while he’s walking onto my hand. Such mixed signals out of these guys!! Lol
I have an outside cart on wheels that I roll up to front of his cage and then he walks into the cart cage by himself and out the door we go. He knows when the cart rolls up he's going outside.

I have an outside cart on wheels that I roll up to front of his cage and then he walks into the cart cage by himself and out the door we go. He knows when the cart rolls up he's going outside.
Ooooo that’s really cool. My guy lives upstairs though:( So there is an enclosed cage on the cart?

Back
Top Bottom