Outside keepers, how do you deter idiots?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just moved and I set up my enclosure on the side of my house. It's a nice little neighborhood with a lot of woods, maybe only see two people a day walk by. I have no immediate reason to be concerned, but I always worry about the possibility of some dumb kids or someone messing with/hurting/stealing my animals. Any good ideas reduce the risk?

Got the gun covered, working on a sign that says "trespassers will be waterboarded".

I've been considering cameras, is there a brand anyone would recommend? @Beman a little fence around the side of the house could be a really good idea too.

Got the gun covered, working on a sign that says "trespassers will be waterboarded".

I've been considering cameras, is there a brand anyone would recommend? @Beman a little fence around the side of the house could be a really good idea too.
YI cameras are cheap and have been reliable for me for over a year. Handy phone app and good night vision too! Plus they are small enough that you can hide them pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Wireless-...ocphy=1014570&hvtargid=pla-657163578152&psc=1

I couldn’t find one that said parsons chameleon but this should do haha :LOL:

2AFC4071-9F14-4647-A99A-1EA4E5D4D2E0.jpeg

Also don’t advertise what’s back there… Try to keep him as low-key as possible. I am always extremely nervous when one of the chameleons is out in their outdoor cage and I am either out there with them watching or constantly popping outside. A security camera can be a deterent, and serve as evidence, but in my experience theives are usually morons and really don’t care if they get caught.

I live in Baltimore and we are #1 for allthe things you dont want to be #1 for, so I dont trust anyone who doesnt live next door to me.

Last edited:
I too have both my parsonii outside for the summer and went HAM on a security setup. I live on a corner lot with a half-fenced off side yard facing the street in a nicer neighborhood, but since my lot was partially open I installed motion-activated night-capable security cameras, placed several large "all activities are recorded by 24/7 surveillance" signs in the yard, enclosed the cages with 19-gauge wire, and had massive padlocks on each enclosure. Moving my two parsonii outside every single morning and then back in during the evening was incredibly taxing on their well-being (especially my male), so I thought I'd start leaving them out 24/7, and that there was NO way someone would mess with my crew... and boy was I wrong! Never underestimate a motivated hobo or someone who wants to flip something for some quick cheddar, because only a few days in I was up studying at 1 am and got a notification from my side-yard cameras. I pull it up, thinking it's a moth that flew in front of the camera, and there's a dude who came through the back gate and is squatted in front of one of the cages! I ran to the kitchen and flipped on the lights and the turd bolted. I inadvertently deleted the video of him entering my property, but here's the little curmudgeon hightailing it: The YouTube video is pixelated, but the resolution is much better on my phone. The very next night I get a notification at the same time, but thankfully this intruder was only after my bushes:

So, moral of the story for me is that all of my security measures backfired and I actually drew far more attention to my yard in attempts to keep people away. A lot of neighbors have asked if I'm growing marijuana in the enclosures (lolz) since they can't clearly see through the fine-mesh screening, so that guy may not have even been after the chameleons! I've since installed motion-activated floodlights and am currently enclosing the yard, but who knows what would have happened had I not had those cameras out there!

I too have both my parsonii outside for the summer and went HAM on a security setup. I live on a corner lot with a half-fenced off side yard facing the street in a nicer neighborhood, but since my lot was partially open I installed motion-activated night-capable security cameras, placed several large "all activities are recorded by 24/7 surveillance" signs in the yard, enclosed the cages with 19-gauge wire, and had massive padlocks on each enclosure. Moving my two parsonii outside every single morning and then back in during the evening was incredibly taxing on their well-being (especially my male), so I thought I'd start leaving them out 24/7, and that there was NO way someone would mess with my crew... and boy was I wrong! Never underestimate a motivated hobo or someone who wants to flip something for some quick cheddar, because only a few days in I was up studying at 1 am and got a notification from my side-yard cameras. I pull it up, thinking it's a moth that flew in front of the camera, and there's a dude who came through the back gate and is squatted in front of one of the cages! I ran to the kitchen and flipped on the lights and the turd bolted. I inadvertently deleted the video of him entering my property, but here's the little curmudgeon hightailing it: The YouTube video is pixelated, but the resolution is much better on my phone. The very next night I get a notification at the same time, but thankfully this intruder was only after my bushes:

So, moral of the story for me is that all of my security measures backfired and I actually drew far more attention to my yard in attempts to keep people away. A lot of neighbors have asked if I'm growing marijuana in the enclosures (lolz) since they can't clearly see through the fine-mesh screening, so that guy may not have even been after the chameleons! I've since installed motion-activated floodlights and am currently enclosing the yard, but who knows what would have happened had I not had those cameras out there!

That’s crazy! That’s how people get shot right there snooping around in someone’s yard at 1am is creepy! I live in a pretty rural wooded area and my yard is around 2 acres so I have some space to myself it’s nice. And most of my neighbors are actually all family so it works out pretty good. Glad I don’t have to deal with stuff like this except maybe the deer haha.

Back
Top Bottom