Outdoor Greenhouse

I'm thinking about building a greenhouse outside for some of my chameleons. I wanted to know people's general opinions. Any thoughts on what I should look out for? Any advice? Greenhouse would be in Los Angeles.

We are in the process of building one now....its pretty close to being done finally

#1 would be they type of plastic or glass you choose to use for the green house.. Most glass/plastic will not let any UV through. There are thinner plastics and tarps that do allow enough uv through.

#2 is ventilation. Have a fan to suck h ot air out. Watch the temps. With enclosed greenhouse in the sun it can get pretty hot. Well at least here in FL it gets steamy hot

I was thinking of building the same but I have relocated to a smaller area. Once I have more property again that is on my list! What kind are you getting?

Dez how did yours come out?

Hello Dez, Do you know about how much you think it's going to cost from start to finish. How long of a project do you think it is?

Greenhouses are expensive. In your area other than UV lighting another agenda that is not a concern in Florida is winter heating. In San Fransisco with the overcast cold rainy winters your going to have to consider a dependable way to heat a greenhouse for 3 to 4 months out of the year. Since there are overcast days the greenhouse effect that normally heats a greenhouse the greenhouse effect is not dependable in an overcast situation during the winter . For mine in the Sierra Nevada foothills I have got propane heaters which are dependable even if it is snowing outside. It is expensive though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Hello Dez, Do you know about how much you think it's going to cost from start to finish. How long of a project do you think it is?

Yes very very expensive. We have $100s of dollars in this project. Building it ourselves.. Lumber is not cheap. Deck screws are not cheap.

We started this project a year ago although it was a thought and a plan long before that. We would work on it in our little free time.

Spreading the cost out over the year it doesn't seem so bad..but every Home Depot run ended up being $200 or more

Yes very very expensive. We have $100s of dollars in this project. Building it ourselves.. Lumber is not cheap. Deck screws are not cheap.

We started this project a year ago although it was a thought and a plan long before that. We would work on it in our little free time.

Spreading the cost out over the year it doesn't seem so bad..but every Home Depot run ended up being $200 or more

I would have guessed thousands.

Greenhouse costs are in the thousands.

I would have guessed thousands.

$100s + $100s + $100s all ad up to thousands.:rolleyes: Honeslty I am not keeping track of how much it has cost. We are building something we are proud of and happy with. Spent the money for supplies when we had extra...and worked on it in our free time

We are not finished with it and it may very well be an ongoing thing with constantly modifying and changing things

Chameleon keeping can be an expensive venture for sure.. Expect to spend quite a bit of money. There is really no cheap way

Last edited:
I have most of the lumber and will for starting on mine soon.

I'm planning for 8'x10' or 8'x12'. It'll be partially screened and wood for the summer and enclosed for the winter. I'll only need 6-8 wks of winter heating.

I'll post when I start the project.

Back
Top Bottom