Orchid pictures

xraygirl

Established Member
Here some pictures of this summers blooms.... I have a couple others that are nubbing with spikes, so soon more are on the way!

First up, is my Dendrobium Enoble ‘purple splash’
345dbww.jpg

Next up is my Vanda Chulita. She is a stubborn bloomer! If she starts to spike I CANNOT move her. The unique thing about this plant is she first opens very light in color... then as the blooms age, they all change to varying shades of colors.
w8742c.jpg

2gvj6o8.jpg

6sx9fm.jpg

21d500w.jpg

der2gg.jpg

The rest is of my Vanda Robert's Delight 'tor blue'. This plant regularly throws two spikes at the start of fall with 15-20 flowers total. This time there are 20 flowers. this plant is taller than me! Mt boyfriend gave me this plant as my Valentine 'bouquet' in 2010. Best V-day present ever :)
feo0mu.jpg

2me47s3.jpg

wlw5ma.jpg

sl1klz.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe your orchids!! I have a couple Dendrobium, that are in bloom here and had tons of cymbidium when I lived in CA. But your Vanda WOW!!!! I tried vanda's a number of times and never for one to bloom. Everything I have heard is they are very difficult to get to bloom, you are a champ!! I can always use pictures, I miss my orchids. Growing inside is a lot different.

I can't believe your orchids!! I have a couple Dendrobium, that are in bloom here and had tons of cymbidium when I lived in CA. But your Vanda WOW!!!! I tried vanda's a number of times and never for one to bloom. Everything I have heard is they are very difficult to get to bloom, you are a champ!! I can always use pictures, I miss my orchids. Growing inside is a lot different.

That's a big misconception about getting them to bloom. True, some are more difficult than others. The big thing is a difference in temperature. That is what gets orchids to bloom. I had around 300 orchids that I grew indoors in my house. I grew the whole spectrum from warm growers to cool growers. I miss having my collection I am down to only 5 now :( . If you have any questions about growing indoors I'll be glad to help.

Thank you everyone. Laurie, I can see vandas struggling up where you're at unless you have a nice greenhouse! ;) I have somewhere around 25 vandas, from seedling to full grown. I love my vandas. My big purple one always throws a gorgeous show at the beginning of fall with two spikes! I do have some stubborn ones ;)
I hang mine on a shower curtain in my guest bathroom during the winter with lights on them. Along with a handy dandy removable shower head on a hose, makes it somewhat easy! It gets a bit crowded and I tend to knock stuff over. I curse every winter at how I wished I had a greenhouse! :)

Thank you for the nice compliments everyone!

I would love to have a greenhouse, but when we get down to -20 even a greenhouse would not help. But I will be talking to the person who offered help.

Thank you everyone. Laurie, I can see vandas struggling up where you're at unless you have a nice greenhouse! ;) I have somewhere around 25 vandas, from seedling to full grown. I love my vandas. My big purple one always throws a gorgeous show at the beginning of fall with two spikes! I do have some stubborn ones ;)
I hang mine on a shower curtain in my guest bathroom during the winter with lights on them. Along with a handy dandy removable shower head on a hose, makes it somewhat easy! It gets a bit crowded and I tend to knock stuff over. I curse every winter at how I wished I had a greenhouse! :)

Thank you for the nice compliments everyone!

Wow, those orchids are amazing! My old roommate left some after he moved out, and a couple are attached to my live oak trees, which are pretty cool. I have about 5 more on my back lanai and I find they do best when ignored (I've got black thumbs anyway so it's for the best!)

You go girl, they look awesome!!! My greenhouse is coming in the next year or two. Can't wait. Garden planning starts in Jan. and this next year its all new gardens. But yes those at -20 you are were my husband wants to move to. That is crazy and he has to buy me a greenhouse before I would even consider moving there.

LOVELY collection!!! You definitely have the magic touch for the types I'm scared to mess with!! :)

Thank you everyone for the kind compliments :) All my orchids are now stuffed in my second bathroom under lights for the winter. :(

Thank you. They really aren't that hard. you just have to do your research and give them what they need. I have never bloomed Dracula and Tolumnia. I found out that even cool growing Dracs will still bloom with 65 degree nights. The biggest thing to get them to bloom is keeping the humidity high and getting that difference of temps between night and day. the more drastic the better.

Back
Top Bottom